Trim Tabs

1tango

Cadet
I have a 16 foot smokercraft with 40 hp force motor, at rest the boat sets level but at wide open it leans to port side. I have moved the batteries and that might have helped some but not much. Motor is mounted straight and hull is in great shape. Im thinking about putting some lenco adjustable trim tabs on. Is this a good idea or not? Do they add much drag to boat? what are the pros and cons to trim tabs i have never been around them. Thanks

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you are willing to spend the $$ on a set of tabs you will not regret it!
If you have a fin style anode above the prop on the lower unit try adjusting that to correct the problem..

1tango

Cadet
I have tried adjusting that, but if i turn it either way from the position its in it makes it hard to hold going straight. It really pulls on steering wheel plus it didn't seem to help with the lean. I'm ready to spend the money if this will help the issue. i didn't know if it would slow the boat down with the drag of the tabs being down. I'm kind of limited with power and speed already.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
That fin doesn't help lean, only steering torque. Tabs ain't cheap, especially adjustable ones but they are life changing. Self adjusting are cheaper and I have no experience with them but pretty sure I've never read a post where someone was disappointed in their purchase.

Not used Lenco but I can say with 100% confidence that Bennett has the best customer service of any company I've ever used. And I'm old and have used many companies.

Tabman

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I've used self-adjusting tabs on 2 boats- a 21' ProLine fiberglass and a 16' Sylvan aluminum. They made a big improvement on both. I used Smart Tabs, but Bennett sells similar ones now. They're designed primarily to counteract bow rise on acceleration, but they also leveled the boats side-to-side. I don;t think you'd be sorry.

Both companies (Nauticus and Bennett) get very high marks for customer service and advice.

My .02

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Trim tabs will solve the problem. Steering torque will cause a boat to (list) lean while on plane. Also a hook in the bottom of the hull can do the same.. If you have power trim use it and see if the problem gets better.. The motor could be sitting too low or tucked in too much. Take some pictures of the back and side/back of the boat. Chances are that you won't find a prop that will allow you to take advantage of the tabs performance gains. If the motor is pre-Mercury it wont have many options...

1tango

Cadet
Hey guys thanks for all the input here, I will try to get a couple pictures later today.The motor is a 1999 and it does have power trim. I have to use it to get up on plain. the motor is turning 5200 RPM at WOT. Once up on plain is where i notice the list so bad. I dont mind spending the 500 bucks if it cures the problem. But i dont want to spend the 500 and find out the tabs wont help my issues. Just trying to do my home work before spending the money if you know what I mean. Thanks for all the input so far

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Bennett's self-adjusting tabs cost half that amount, and Smart Tabs cost even less than that.

1tango

Cadet
On the self leveling tabs is there any kind of manual adjustments you can make on them. Like i said i have never been around tabs at all. If they just run of pressure wont i just get up on plain faster but still have the same list? It seams to me the one on the port side would have to be adjusted different with more down pressure to level out the boat. Maybe I'm over thinking to much :confused:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
They'll help with list, too. Once you've mounted them and made the initial adjustment, you're usually good to go. In some cases they might need further adjustment, or even (rarely) a different strength actuator. I haven't dealt with Bennett, but Nauticus is very quick to offer expert advice and even ship out different strength actuators if it comes to that (they did it for me 8 or so years ago at no charge). I'd call them before I ordered anything. They know their stuff.

Alumarine

Captain
The smart tabs can be adjusted independently.
I used them to solve a problem like yours and they worked well.
They allowed me to get on plane much quicker and plane slower. They also solved the list.

I did switch to Bennett tabs later but only because I wanted more control and I got a very good deal on a used set.

1tango

Cadet
Well thanks for all the replies. I think next step will be to get a hold of bennett, lenco and nauticus and pick their brains as well. Maybe i will only need to spend 130 vs the 500. I just want to do the right thing first and be done with it for a while... Thanks for the responses

1tango

Cadet
One more thing I wanted to add for opinions is at WOT if I turn the wheel slightly left or right the motor feels like it starts to cavitate. I'm pretty new to this boat and just want to get things right on it. I just went and check the height of cavitaton plate. It is about 1.25 above the bottom of the boat. does this sound like the right height? The motor is mounted in the center mount hole. I have read several different opinions on it. I think i should be able to turn a little sharper than I can now with out cavitating. It is a very nice well cared for fishing boat and I really want to get it right.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Nauticus trim tabs work great and are a good value .As for adjusting one more that the other that really shouldn't be necessary.And yes, don't drive yourself batty overthinking a simple problem.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Drop the outboard 1 hole and try it out.

It sounds to me the anti-cav plate should be even or an inch lower than the keel.

1tango

Cadet
Thanks for the info I will lower one hole and give a try. Sounds like its about 50/50 opinion where it actually should be by reading other articles on the internet. I will lower one hole what could it hurt right.... I will post results probably wont have it out again for a couple weeks. Maybe that will help with the listing as well.