Need Advice on What Boat is Better! (newbie here)

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have wanted a boat for about 10 years now, specifically a bowrider with a 4.3 or 5.7 engine. I have been doing countless hours of research over the winter and I've finally narrowed it down to the following two boats:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/2000-ebbtide-188-campione-305/6513834686.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/sea-ray-signature-180/6528568260.html

Which one would you recommend me buying? Ebbtide is newer and has a bigger engine. Searay is known for quality and has a smaller engine / older. Please tell me what you guys think! Thank you!

Maclin

Admiral
From the pics they both look in good condition.

I think I would go with the Ebbtide Campione. It is a little bigger at almost 19' and wider beam, and has the V8. 6 years newer also, not so much for value but things changed between those years in boat styling and amenities. One example is the stowaway swim step ladder on the Ebbtide, while on the Sea Ray it is stowed on top of the platform.

The Sea Ray is appointed nicely for sure. Nice color scheme if you like those tones.

I think they both have the Alpha One Gen 2, but the 2000 model Ebbtide definitely does. The Ebbtide is newer enough that it probably came with a CD player and did not have to be modernized in that area. Lots of things improved from 1994 to 2000+.

If condition is the same between them, and your preference on interior/exterior colors is neutral compared one to the other, then I would go with the bigger boat with the larger engine.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
From the pics they both look in good condition.

I think I would go with the Ebbtide Campione. It is a little bigger at almost 19' and wider beam, and has the V8. 6 years newer also, not so much for value but things changed between those years in boat styling and amenities. One example is the stowaway swim step ladder on the Ebbtide, while on the Sea Ray it is stowed on top of the platform.

The Sea Ray is appointed nicely for sure. Nice color scheme if you like those tones.

I think they both have the Alpha One Gen 2, but the 200 model Ebbtide definitely does. The Ebbtide is newer enough that it probably came with a CD player and did not have to be modernized in that area. Lots of things improved from 1994 to 2000+.

If condition is the same between them, and your preference on interior/exterior colors is neutral compared one to the other, then I would go with the bigger boat with the larger engine.

Thanks for the comment. I am no expert so it's nice getting advice from people like yourself. I would agree on the choice, however the exterior (beige) color on the Ebbtide is a bit 'blah'. Could always paint it.

Maclin

Admiral
Well, there is the "Me Likey" factor also, and the Sea Ray's styling cues might be your deciding factor in this highly personal choice. In general, I would not go into something like this if I thought painting it or similar change might be needed. If you think the color cues may become a reason for buyer's remorse, well, you see what I mean.

Also, what other humans would be involved in the choice. Might make a difference. Also sometimes you may feel that one boat would "present" better over the other.

Look the trailers over also. If one or the other is in bad shape you have to factor in any fixing needed.

briangcc

Commander
Personal preference, I would go with the Ebbtide. It's got the larger engine and looks more modern. You can always throttle back on the engine to conserve fuel but its very difficult to add power to an engine when its sitting on the water. As for the color of the hull band...add a graphic or have a vinyl wrap made to cover it.

To me, again personal preference, the Sea Ray looks dated. From the graphics on the side of the hull, to the bow railing, to the pleated seats. It screams time machine...and not in a good way.

And definitely, if there is an admiral (and possibly first mates) get them involved in the decision. Otherwise, you may be sleeping in your new purchase! Case in point: The only way I could sell my admiral on the SeaRay was with the understanding that the boat would be redone inside and out to make it more modern.

rbiankowski

Seaman Apprentice
Personal preference, I would go with the Ebbtide. It's got the larger engine and looks more modern. You can always throttle back on the engine to conserve fuel but its very difficult to add power to an engine when its sitting on the water. As for the color of the hull band...add a graphic or have a vinyl wrap made to cover it.

To me, again personal preference, the Sea Ray looks dated. From the graphics on the side of the hull, to the bow railing, to the pleated seats. It screams time machine...and not in a good way.

And definitely, if there is an admiral (and possibly first mates) get them involved in the decision. Otherwise, you may be sleeping in your new purchase! Case in point: The only way I could sell my admiral on the SeaRay was with the understanding that the boat would be redone inside and out to make it more modern.

Great advice. I agree. I really like the modern looks too. Is there a certain year in your opinion that I should look for that will kinda be like the year boats in general have gotten better if that makes sense? Basically separating the new-ish from the old. I'm guessing it's probably around the 2000's? I am not too keen on the older boats (under 1995).

briangcc

Commander
As it's used, it's all going to come down to the details and condition. How well did the previous owner take care of the boat? How upfront are they on any known issues? Is it MPI instead of carb? Size of engine?

A newer boat that's been left uncovered it's entire lifetime outside in the elements is bound to have problems. From rot below decks, to mildew seats, to unknown engine issues. You can tell fairly quickly by checking the engine compartment and storage compartments if a boat's been cared for or neglected. So I wouldn't key on how new the boat is, but rather how well its taken care of.

I own a classic car that's carb'd and it lets me known when I have neglected it. Royal pain to start after sitting any length of time. So for me, I only go MPI. I also tend to be of the...go big or go home crowd. My '05 Four Winns had the largest engine & HP available for that particular year. I didn't follow that with the current Chap as my admiral got involved in the purchase. Funny how that works out?

Maclin

Admiral
Have you looked them over in person? Color schemes can present differently in sunlight and full panorama versus CL pics.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Assuming similar condition (condition of the boat trumps all, IMO), I would go with the Ebbtide due to the bigger engine. You never hear anyone complaining because they have too much power...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Everything else being equal, the one with the bigger engine. A 5 litre making the same HP as a 4.3 will have more torque and therefore better holeshot. Top speeds would be very close

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Personally Id put both of them in the water with 4 adults and give them similar test runs. The 4.3 will get much better fuel mileage if propped right and I mean a lot. I own a 96 4.3 alpha 1 and have put quite a bit of fuel in both a 5.0 and 5.7 Mercruiser in boats of similar size and can tell you the 4.3 is substantially cheaper in gas. Is that a concern for you I dont know If your hoping to pull heavy skiers that cant get up the V8 will be top of the list. My boats welded aluminum will pull an average skiier that weighs 225 out of the water on one ski with 5 adults without issue and top speed is 52 to 54 MPH. In a fiberglass boat the same size probably not. The 4.3 is pretty bullet proof as well. While the v8s tend to have a few more problems. But thats really impossible to know on a used boat. I wouldn’t trade a severe lack of power for fuel mileage but minor difference id go with the 4.3. Then theres the boats themselves. Thats up to the inspection and your actual love of either.

mr 88

Commander
The ad says 5.0 not 5.7 ,so the actual hp vs the 4.3 is minimal considering the difference in length and possibly weight. I would always take 8 cylinders over 6. I believe you will get more torque,power out of the 8 with the extra cans. As far as fuel milage goes ,it takes X amount of hp ( and Y amount of fuel to produce that hp ) to move said hull at cruising speed. Say 25 mph, so if your at 70 % throttle in the V6 to hit that speed, you may only need 60% with the V8. Basically the fuel milage will only differ when you push the V8 past the top speed of the v6. The difference in weight of the two engines would come into play if you really wanted to get anal about the difference in fuel milage. This is based on two identical boats . Most people that say the 4.3 gets better milage are not comparing apples to apples.Go with the bigger and newer boat,it will.take rough water a bit better
I wouldn't worry about the color of the hull,your oot there to have fun not make some fashion statement.

Last edited:

RGrew176

Commander
Whichever boat you decide on be sure to have it surveyed and do a sea trial. I would recommend sea trialing first and if all goes well then the survey. Good luck, both would be fun boats.

mr 88

Commander
. The 4.3 is pretty bullet proof as well. While the v8s tend to have a few more problems.

This is based on what ? That there are more boats with V8s so the ratio of any engine issues would reflect that or you just know that the Chevy makes the V6 better than the V8. Show me the facts please that you based this statement on.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not being a Fibreglass boat guy to me they all look the same because I don't know the difference. So to me size and horse power rules when all things are equal. What are you going to use the boat for primarily. If you were to say cruising and skiing I think these boats fit the bill, if you said fishing, nope, keep shopping. I almost bought a similar boat years ago that I wanted as an all purpose before I knew better, 1st boat for me. VP Gore had not yet invented the Internet.Only you can choose but getting expert opinions here helps a great deal. Drive both, then and only then choose after getting a survey.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
JD

mr 88

Commander
Hey guys,
. Searay is known for quality and has a smaller engine / older. Please tell me what you guys think! Thank you!

Sea Ray is at best a average built boat. They are not a quality boat . Yes there are a ton of them out there as they are mass produced and skip corners to keep overhead down and profits up. I am not bashing them ,just saying don't be drawn into there marketing hype.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Sea Ray is at best a average built boat. They are not a quality boat/QUOTE]

Absolutely the are a quality boat, not the bar, but definitely above average. I currently own 2 two of them, so trust me on that!.;)

And they have WAY better brand recognition than an Ebbtide, so when it's time to sell, the Searay will be easier to get rid of and hold its value better.

But I always say buy based on styling, layout, & amenities, who cares about the name of the side. Once you figure out what you want(that may be more than 1 boat) find one worth buying.

And of course condition is huge factor when buyng used - well duh!!!!!.......Lol

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
As hard as winters are on boats here in WI, I see the Searay has been stored indoors, a real plus. Hard to tell from the few photos of the Ebbtide, but I would question a few things the photos are showing. Best is to go over each with a "fine toothed comb". As has been mentioned before, condition is critical. A new boat with poor storage can be destroyed in one or two winters in this climate.

mr 88

Commander
Sea Ray is at best a average built boat. They are not a quality boat/QUOTE]

Absolutely the are a quality boat, not the bar, but definitely above average. I currently own 2 two of them, so trust me on that!.;)

And they have WAY better brand recognition than an Ebbtide,

Brand recognition ? You mean like Bayliner ! Quality ? Do they have the market cornered on 18-25' PLEASURE boats,yep.Try looking up the reviews on yachtsurvey.com Granted these are bigger boats than what most on this forum are looking at,but the apple doesn't fall to far from the big tree. These are mass produced boats ,with glitz and show in mind on the showroom floor. Not a hardcore boat that I would take out with the big boys on the Ocean when venturing 50-100 miles offshore. Most people on here snicker at a Bayliner like the people on salt water forums snicker at Rays. Last you will hear from me on this subject. To each his own,enjoy your rides !

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Try looking up the reviews on yachtsurvey.com

I did. Mr.Pascoe reviewed a '95 250 Sundancer, which is the exact same boat as my '97. I read that review before buying "Blind Date" used 14 years ago. Here is how he summed up the boat:

Summing up: On the outside, the overall quality is pretty good. Not much chintzy hardware, and the basic structures are holding up well. With care, it still looks good. The rub rails aren't all loose, dented and falling off, and stress cracking is minimal. As a used boat, it offers excellent value. As a new boat, they're still hard to beat quality wise, but the quality margin over the competition can be a pretty thin line at times.

Have a good day Mr Cool Runnings!

Last edited: