$13000 good deal for McKee 1800CC Pulse??

Birdman84

Seaman Apprentice
So I am selling my 14ft classic McKee and looking at a 2004 McKee 1800CC Pulse. I'm wondering if you guys think $13,000 is a good deal, I talked them down from $14,500. It's got a 130 Honda motor (I checked out the serial and it doesn't appear to be in the string of problematic ones), it's a one owner boat, comes with trailer but no t-top (which sucks). Planning to sea trial this weekend and if all goes well bring it home. Advice on this one? I'm a little nervous as the first boat I bought I overpaid for. Thanks in advance for input!

roffey

Commander
Personally, boats are hard to put a price on. If its the boat you always wanted and its in perfect condition then you are buying a life time of memory, laughs and smiles. If its a POS you will regret the day you ever saw it, but it sounds like you already experienced that, lol..... A 130hp Honda motor would likely be the beater part of the asking price. A 2004 is 14 years old and if it has not been taken care of it can be a money pit. For 13k you may want to have it surveyed or have a boat savvy individual look at it...

I am sure other will chime in with better advice than I...

Birdman84

Seaman Apprentice
Yea I'm more focused on the Honda outboard...the McKee 1800 is what I had in mind regardless. Aren't too many of them for sale around the area I live and I'm much more familiar with yammi's and merc's than the Honda. They do have service records from every year, all manuals, etc. I do much of my own maintenance on my other two outboards so although not a pro, I have basic knowledge. After visually inspecting the motor I would say for a 14yr old motor it was very clean. Very little rust visible, seals looked good. Worst was the anodes needed replacing. Only in fresh water from '04-'12.

roffey

Commander
I read my post, I said the motor was the beater part and I meant the better part, lol. Kind of changes the way it reads. Spelling was never my strong point...

Birdman84

Seaman Apprentice
And to your point..can anyone comment on the longevity of Honda motors (assuming well maintained)? I cannot say I've seen many in 3 years on the water where I live, at least not older ones. I do see them on some of the tow boats/other service boats but that's mostly it, and when I have seen them I recall them looking newer. I say that in comparison to how many older yammi/merc etc I see on a normal day. On another note, I've owned several Honda vehicles and they were nothing but great. The seller told me Honda actually started producing outboards before vehicles???

briangcc

Commander
My 115 Honda was actually based off the same motor they use in the Civics. I believe the 90, 115, and 130 shared the same blocks at the time. They're pretty much bullet proof requiring simple oil changes you can do at home. I see any number of them around the 1000 Islands or Black Lake (where I vacation). I've seen some older ones too kicking around so that wouldn't scare me off.

Personally, I love my Honda and, don't tell the wife, I'm checking Craigslist to see if my old boat pops up as I'd snag it back in a heartbeat.