What Kind Of Paint For Inside Floor Of Aluminum Row Boat?

Hale Quin

Recruit
My boat is a 1955 and is almost like new. It at one time was painted on the inside floor (maybe from the factory). I would like to re-do this and wondered what type of paint I should use? I'm not sure, but there might be a super tiny hole near the back because I get about 1/4 cup of water after a couple hour outing. I'm thinking that painting around all the rivets and the floor might remedy this if there actually is a small leak.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One thing to consider doing to find the leak is filling it with a few inches of water from a garden hose then looking to see if any leaks out.

If you find any rivets leaking, just buck them as Scott recommends.

Then let it drain and dry out well before you paint the inside

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Never fill a boat with water. The trailer and hull dont do well with thousands of pounds of water

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Never ever put water in a boat to check for leaks. Ask the guy I met a few weeks ago that drove his bunk straight through the bottom of a very nice aluminum.

If you have a small leak they have a tendency to not get any smaller. Find the leak and have it repaired.

To answer your question you will need a paint with self etching primer for aluminum. Go to a Marine dealer and they will advice you or search here on iboats, I'm sure it is sold here.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Rustoleum makes a self etching primer in spray cans, available at wal mart, that will save you from the hazmat shipping charges of buying online.
You only need a very light coating, not a solid layer, so one $5 spray can might do it.
You can use an enamel paint on top, or epoxy paint if you want.

Honestly, the chances of finding that tiny leak are very slim.
We had an aluminum boat from the 50's, that leaked a cup or two per day, maybe a quart if left in the lake over night.
Had the boat for 30 years and never could pinpoint the leak.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Funny story about filling a boat with water. Years ago a buddy packed up his boat at the end of his vacation and parked it next to the cabin. Heavy rain over night but the small boat had a travel cover so no issue -- right??? Next morning he loaded the family and took to the road. Blew through the first stop sign and thought he lost the brakes on the car or that they may have just been wet. When he blew through the second one he realized something wasn't right. Checked the boat and it was half full of water.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I used to buy self-etching primer online all the time and never paid a hazmat fee. My WM didn't carry it. Then I found it at NAPA auto parts and it was cheaper besides.

You should only need to prime the bare spots, not the whole bottom.

Buy a can of "porch & floor" enamel, add some sand and stir it in real good and just brush on the new coating.

You don't need to FILL the boat with water, just put in a couple of 5 gal pails. Tip the boat up and check for the leak. Or, dry it completely and put the boat in the water and see where it comes in. Painting won't fix the leak.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Funny story about filling a boat with water. Years ago a buddy packed up his boat at the end of his vacation and parked it next to the cabin. Heavy rain over night but the small boat had a travel cover so no issue -- right??? Next morning he loaded the family and took to the road. Blew through the first stop sign and thought he lost the brakes on the car or that they may have just been wet. When he blew through the second one he realized something wasn't right. Checked the boat and it was half full of water.

And never leave the plug in the boat when out of the water or travel with the plug in. When the brakes won't stop the vehicle once don't wait for the second time.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Save yourself a lot of money and use Fasco steel flex.Just as good as gluvit and you don't pay for the name.I went from lots of leakage to zero .