62' Cruiser inc. Interceptor, 18' IO

62' Interceptor

Recruit
Looking for any information about a 1962 Cruisers Inc. 18' Model 1302, Has Interceptor badging and 100hp
Interceptor motor

jbcurt00

Staff member
I deleted the duplicate topic you started.

This is the best sub-forum to ask about your 1962 Model 1302.

Welcome to iboats

Good luck w your project

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What type of info you looking for?
I have an old cruisers inc (1532 Camero) and it was REAL hard to find any info..

Pretty sure I saw the 1302 as well.. Believe it was called 1302 Commander. (1302-V Commander had a Volvo engine instead of the Interceptor. if I recall correctly..)

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Also, in case it helps with your research....

Cruisers Inc. was an offshoot of Thompson Bros. back then. Cruisers Inc. has become Cruisers Yachts (large boats) and Crusier Yachts Sports Series for smaller craft..

I found that the 1302 Commander in 1962 was actually 17' 7" LOA, so classified an 18', and was also the smallest of the stern drives they made back then.

My 1532 Camero is a '69-'70 (still determining actual year) Fiberglass boat, so it's a different beast, but when I was searching, I did manage to find what I needed online for mine, so I didn't buy this, and I don't know what level of detail it contains, (I Imagine it's sales literature).
But, I found a place that sells old catalogs (1907 - 1970) for Thompson (including Cruisers, Inc., T&T Boats, Thompson of New York, Thompson Royal Craft and Thompson by Chris-Craft.). They can be purchased here:

http://www.wcha.org/store/thompson-brothers-boat-manufacturing-co-catalog-collection-usb-flash-drive
(I hope this link is ok.. I don't believe it's any iBoats competition. I apologize if I'm wrong...)

I've yet to find any catalogs or sales literature online, available for download, and free..

From what I can gather, 1961 was the first year for stern drives in Cruisers boats..
1961-1962 had either Volvo Penta or Interceptor engines..
1963 on (I think) they went to Mercruiser..
Don't quote me on that, but that's what little I can find anyway..

That's about all I know on it.. I hope it's helpful.
Maybe others know more as well?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cruisers used both Volvo and Mercruiser engines throughout their small boat run. even into the 90's some boats came with Mercruiser, some with Volvo. for the larger boats, they used to use a mix of Cummins and Volvo and Cat. they now stick with Volvo/IPS on the smaller boats and Cat/ZF on the bigger boats

call their customer service line, explain what you are looking for. they may have some of the really old brochures, etc. that they can send you.

62' Interceptor

Recruit
Thanks for the Info! I've had cruisers and Thompsons for years when I was younger. Just found this one in a machine shed
that's been supported well on a good trailer and covered with its original snap on cover! For 37 years! It is in amazing
condition!. I Posted some pictures in the photos. Thanks again for the info!!!

"A Boat is a hole in the water that you enjoy Being In!"

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow!! Saw the pictures in the idea book. Very Nice!!

Looks like it's all there, and all original!
That'll be a beauty all cleaned up and back on the water! :fish2:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the Info! I've had cruisers and Thompsons for years when I was younger. Just found this one in a machine shed
that's been supported well on a good trailer and covered with its original snap on cover! For 37 years! It is in amazing
condition!. I Posted some pictures in the photos. Thanks again for the info!!!

"A Boat is a hole in the water that you enjoy Being In!"

a boat unused for 37 years? you are going to have to replace all the rubber/seals/gaskets on the drive and motor

62' Interceptor

Recruit
I finally had some time to look over and work on the boat a bit, The engine rolls over and the stern drive is in excellent
condition. Just need a little cleaning. But One thing it does need is a new U-joint boot. This one is not serviceable. Anyone have any Ideas or vintage parts contacts?