Fuel filter/separator

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently picked up an old 1984 johnson that is in good shape. I believe that there is some water and other contamination in my boats fuel (see attached picture). The motor has an in-line fuel filter under the motor cover, but i recently added a 10 micron fuel-water separator as well. My question is, do i need to have both or is the separator enough by itself?

Also, how much can the separator filter out. Can I assume that even with the separator, some water and other contaminates are still making their way to my carbs?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you drain/change the separater regularly, the water and debris should stop there. But having the filter on the motor, in my opinion is a good safety thing to pick up anything that gets past the separator. A good flushing of the fuel tank looks to be the best route to go, clean fuel makes a happy motor. If water is getting in, find the culprit, bad o-ring on the filler, leaky fuel sender, or poorly routed vent are good places to look.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The inline filter adds restriction, but no filtering value, as the water separator is a finer filter. I would remove it.

Make sure you empty the separator bowl, when about 1/2 full of water/sediment, to be sure no water passes thru.. To really help the separator, you can jack up the trailer tongue and siphon the rear bottom of the fuel tank to get water and sediment Removal of the fuel gauge sender makes siphoning easier.