Worst snowfall on record in U.K.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
A few pics of the cars yesterday. Most have been stranded or stuck in for last few days. Pics show things just starting to clear now. Prettt sure you guys deal with this most winters, but a once in a century thing over here. 50cm fell in one day, never mind the other two. Snow up to the windows on a bmw 5 series GT. that’s about 3ft over 3 days.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Other picture shows a Volvo XC90 on the day it started to clear enough we could dig it out. First one shows BMW in drive and looking out on Volvo on street.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yup... Typical Blizzard or Nor' Easter type storm for my area.. (New England US..), but Man!
For a place that's not used to it, and maybe not as prepared, that is a LOT!! I bet what you got would be like us getting around 10' in 3 days... Nothing I'd want to deal with! lol..

Sure makes things quiet and beautiful for a bit though huh?
But then the realization of shoveling and cleaning it up sets in... :D

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah. Totally not used to it at all. We get snow, but nothing like this and certainly not as far south and in terms of the civilised metropolis parts. Only really on high grounds and in the highlands. Crazy stuff. Everywhere out of bread and milk etc.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL!!!
Had a joke with the manager at a local convenience store recently...
His bread isle was about empty... I joked "Ummm... We got a storm coming I don't know about? I mean your milk is full, but the bread??"
His answer:
"Maybe... Don't be fooled... All the milk I have is now on the racks.. that's it..."

It is crazy isn't it! :laugh:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah. Totally not used to it at all. We get snow, but nothing like this and certainly not as far south and in terms of the civilised metropolis parts. Only really on high grounds and in the highlands. Crazy stuff. Everywhere out of bread and milk etc.

No, all the milk and bread is in people's houses, because they panic bought, most likely media induced.

I never understood the panic buying phenomenon.
Used to see it before every storm when I lived in the big city.

Don't people prepare ahead of time any more? What about if they were to get sick and not be able to run to the store for a few days?
How much effort and space can it take to have a dozen cans of food and some pasta in the house?

Well, I'm glad you are enjoying the snow.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I could live for years on pasta alone,lol.Dont care about milk or bread for that matter.Now chocolate milk is a gift from the god,s though.:D

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was bugging my friend in Ireland. He just went home after spending 3 years here in Canada. Asked him if he got that snow I sent him lol. Said they shut everything down for 3 days and they have no snowploughs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
9 months from now will be a record amount of babies being born in the UK

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
No, all the milk and bread is in people's houses, because they panic bought, most likely media induced.

I never understood the panic buying phenomenon.
Used to see it before every storm when I lived in the big city.

Don't people prepare ahead of time any more? What about if they were to get sick and not be able to run to the store for a few days?
How much effort and space can it take to have a dozen cans of food and some pasta in the house?

Well, I'm glad you are enjoying the snow.

To be fair. This wasn’t the case. The problem was that the delivery trucks couldn’t get anywhere near the area and some were stuck still at the stores. There is videos all over the internet with 4x4 towing trucks out of danger etc.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
That is a lot of snow, thanks for the pics. The foot we got here the other night is regularly handled here. It was nice lots of things were closed, made it easy to drive to work. Yes, sometimes people react aggressively - but I guess better safe than sorry.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It’s a strange thing.
Scotland is actually further north in terms of longitude than some of Hudson Bay ! We never really get much worse than a flurry of snow at low level and never really more than a few days in a row at -oC temps.
This is all down to the Gulf Stream and the protection is offers us from the cold. SW temps remain pretty much moderate all year. There are even palm trees growing on the west coast !
only a few hundred miles to the east is Scandinavia who have as severe a winter as most Canadian and Alaskan winters.
Fortunate in our temperate lands here in Scotland....but just wish it would not rain so much !

id likely prefer bad winters and lovely summers, like our Canada and North America. We could handle that !!!

cup of Joe

Seaman
Tahoe.jpg So You guys got all the snow this winter.
Here in Lake Tahoe CA/NV we Finally got a good snow storm for this winter,
Kinda late but we got about five feet in a few days. and more to come I hope.
The more snow the more revenue and more water in the lakes.
Stay warm,

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
To be fair. This wasn’t the case. The problem was that the delivery trucks couldn’t get anywhere near the area and some were stuck still at the stores. There is videos all over the internet with 4x4 towing trucks out of danger etc.

Well its good to hear that everyone wasn't in a panic, buying everything in sight.
Visit a big city here, the day before a big snow storm, and people are buying all the milk, bread, ... and beer.