How to modify sailboat cable lift to ski boat lift

ctfortner

Cadet
Hello everyone, new guy here. So we are considering our first lake home purchase and I have never owned a dock or boat lift. The place has a nice concrete dock with steel pilings and I beams, 2 electric lifts etc... However, one of the lifts was specifically designed for a sailboat. I would want to modify or change out what is necessary to make this function as a ski boat and/or bass tracker type lift.

One thing I noticed is the bunks are welded, they are not bolted on. It would appear to me that they would be too far apart and too high for a typical 21' Crownline type of skit boat. I have no idea what is the best option, as well as the cheapest option. We are not going to have a lot of spending money to play with early on due to the cost of the place itself, but I would like to get some idea of process and cost to fix this. Would I want to cut the existing I beam bunks off and find a bolt on type of ski boat bunk, or would I need to replace the the entire cradle and try to sell this one??

I realize the other lift with the fishing boat on it is setup like what I need, but I have only been the place once and didn't get any closeup pics of it, and its 2 plus hours away, so I cant go look at easily.

I am trying to find out if the owners know who put the lifts in, it was done around 2008 they said, and if they are still in business, I will call them also.

One final question... Can I set the bunks up so that I can use it for both my bass tracker, and my future ski boat? Or would I have to have the lifts setup differently to work for 2 different types of boats?

Pics are much more helpful than me babbling, so here are a few. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo285635.jpg
    photo285635.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285636.jpg
    photo285636.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285637.jpg
    photo285637.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285638.jpg
    photo285638.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would measure the width between them. lookin, not sure you need to do anything. looks like the bunks are about 6' apart which should work just fin.

ctfortner

Cadet
I would measure the width between them. lookin, not sure you need to do anything. looks like the bunks are about 6' apart which should work just fin.

It seems a lot different than what I am used to seeing at lake houses I have stayed at. This is more what I am used to seeing, vs what I referenced above. Much closer together and much lower. But again, I don't know, trying to figure this out.

Attachments

• lift5.jpg
    lift5.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
Cost more for the raised set up for sailboat with keel, that's possibly why you don't see many designed like that. Most lake front houses water are too shallow for fixed keel sailboats which may be another reason you don't see set ups like that. A fixed keel sailboat with all that lead hanging on it is going to weigh a lot more than just about any power boat that you would put on it,so I wouldn't worry about the construction of it. Just have to lift it high enough so the hull is out of the water.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It doesn't matter how high the bunks are above the frame, as long as the frame can be lowered deep enough into the water to float the boat on.

But something you might want to do: Go back and look at the house again. You've only seen it once, and seem more concerned about a possible $300 boat lift modification.

I bet there are more important and potentially costly issues with the house and property.

ahicks

Captain
Easy project for those able to do the work. It's hard to get a fee for the distance between the uprights in your pics, but worst case is those will be cut off to allow a fresh start. Shouldn't be too expensive to get that done, and people that do that kind of work not too difficult to track down.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Looks more like an Inboard lift, than for a sailboat, to me,.....

If the bunks won't go low enough for whatever boat ya wanta put in it,....
Just cut the tops of the verticals, 'n bolt the bunks back on at that height,...
Easy-peasy, with a sawzall, 'n a drill,...

ctfortner

Cadet
I am going to go look again this weekend. The realtor is also the owner, and is the ones that put the dock and lifts in. According to them, It was specifically built for their sailboat, but??? Either way, if it wont work like it is, I am capable of cutting them shorter and remounting the bunks, or if I had to make them narrower, I could cut them off flush and grind smooth, then bolt on some new bunks at the correct distance and height.

southkogs

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Looks more like an Inboard lift, than for a sailboat, to me,.....
Ayuh™* ... me too. No place for much more than a swing or shoal keel on a sailboat.

** "Ayuh" is a registered trademark of Bondo . Copyright 2002 :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am going to go look again this weekend. The realtor is also the owner, and is the ones that put the dock and lifts in. According to them, It was specifically built for their sailboat, but??? Either way, if it wont work like it is, I am capable of cutting them shorter and remounting the bunks, or if I had to make them narrower, I could cut them off flush and grind smooth, then bolt on some new bunks at the correct distance and height.

measure them before you do anything. most likely it will work just fine.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh™* ... me too. No place for much more than a swing or shoal keel on a sailboat.

** "Ayuh" is a registered trademark of Bondo . Copyright 2002 :D

Ayuh,.... With my new 1/2a 'puter, I don't have enough keys to put the tm like that,....

Just like I can't put the degree symbol on temps,....

Gotta hate the chromebook,...

Hopefully, I'll get a new real 'puter come spring when the money starts flowin' again,....

Sorry for the off-topic post, a Moderator made me do it,....... :D ;)