Maintenance on outboard motors

Sambo1959

Cadet
Honda 4 strokes 225 outboard is really important to use the manufacturer motor oil each time I change oil. Been told yes and no

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Honda doesn't manufacture oil, buys it to someone else. Check their specs and buy other reputed oil brand with same specs.

Happy Boating.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You'll get the same 'Yes and No" answers here.

IMO, if you're changing oil on a routinized basis, you can use whatever meets Honda's specifications. I was committed to using Mercruiser brand oil and filters in my Carver until WalMart stopped carrying the Merc stuff last year. Now I use Rotella. Bottom line, use whatever makes you comfortable. It's a once-a-year change for most of us, so the annual cost difference is pretty insignificant.

My .02

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of 4 cycle outboards specify a FC-W rated oil. I am not sure Rotella meets this spec. I would follow the OEM recommendation and buy the oil that meets their spec. I doubt the brand name makes any difference, but likely the rating makes all the difference.

For example, I/O engines require either a straight weight 30 or 40 motor oil, or a marine grade oil like Quicksilver 25W-40, which is much different than automotive multi-viscosity oil.

Remember, boat motors of all kinds have a very heavy workload compared with road vehicles.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
This is always the silliest question posted here. You can buy the Honda oil, or go to wallyworld and buy the cheap crap and save a few pennies. Not that its really crap, but why are you worrying and trying to save a few pennies.

If you can afford to have a boat, why not just buy the Honda oil and save yourself the time it took to post the question.

82rude

Rear Admiral
No wheres in the o.p,s post did I see him say he wanted to buy cheap wallyworld oil.There are many high end 4 stroke outboard oils out there.Just be sure that they meet or preferably exceed honda specifications.