plug question

Blentz17

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 98 sylvan v1800... should the screw plug go on the inside or the outside this is the first time i have owned a boat with a screw plug

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Suggest you go by Wallyworld or a local marina and pick up a spare plug—they have a tendancy to not be where you think they are when you want to go boating (or get to the ramp and realize its not with the boat—been there—done that!)

Keep the spare somewhere on the boat so you’ll always have one. They run about $3-4

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Suggest you go by Wallyworld or a local marina and pick up a spare plug—they have a tendancy to not be where you think they are when you want to go boating (or get to the ramp and realize its not with the boat—been there—done that!)

Keep the spare somewhere on the boat so you’ll always have one. They run about $3-4

Good suggestion. I bought an orange plastic plug that fits on my boat’s keychain. Not only would it work as a backup plug in a pinch, butit’s also a good reminder to besure the plug is installed before launching.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normal boat Garboard drain fittings are NTP, which is a tapered thread. They will only screw in fully from one side.......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take a sharpie and write the word plug on your transom tie downs.....

keep an extra plug in the glovebox of the truck, and one in the glovebox of the boat.

Blentz17

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the responses, I went to Walmart and bought 2 extra one spare and one back up to the spare

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I must have 5-6 of those things laying around my truck, boat, etc. I guess I'll never be caught without a plug! :laugh::laugh: