Boat registration number

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I look at a boat but can't figure what the number on the bow refers to.

I found a list for Canada (pre 2003 and after 2003) and for the USA it is two letters from the state abbreviation (MS number) (FL number), but this boat reads R10498V. Is it a US registered boat? Or an older numbering system??

It is in the Boston area if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

01111_erJ5DEyjSPO_1200x900.jpg

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah.... That's RI, not R1..
Rhode Island registered...
If you can, have a look at the blue sticker on the end of the reg number..
Should indicate Rhode Island and Providence Plantations if indeed RI registered...

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^ Yup... Supposed to be spaces or dashes in there.. LOL
Also, don't know how old that pic OP posted is, but my RI stickers are Red...
Can't find anything that says if different colors are for different years, sizes, or even month of reg like cars... etc..
My 2 boats (Both current RI reg) have red, but one is a 16', the other a 17'...
Much smaller than that...

Wonder what the year is on that sticker, and if reg is current and valid..

dwco5051

Commander
Rhode Island boat registration is for two years. If the colors are changed each year there will be two colors valid every year.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I know it's 2 years.. Both of mine expire in 2019, so seems like color is year of expiration probably... (Red for 2019 in my case).. .

Just thinking that it could say a lot if the boat hasn't been registered recently, vs. a current reg.
Whatever the sticker color, it's the year of expiration that matters..

In any event, I think we gave OP the answer he was looking for... LOL :D

oldrem

Commander
Wisconsin is good for 3 years, so there are always 3 valid colors for the DNR to watch for.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Not that it really matters in this case ,Canadian reg is for life ,no sticker required and is federal not state or provincial.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you all for the answers.
I should have thought it was a 'I' not a '1'. To my defense, I don't happen to see those abbreviations very often in Canada ;-)

I'm shopping right now, and wow! prices are a lot cheaper in the states than here, even if I add 26% exchange, 3% bank fee, and 9.75% provincial taxe.
I think driving down to Boston or NY or any east cost state would worth it to save $5K-$8K. It's just the logistic that may be problematic.

PS: I don't know why but I don't receive email notifications anymore from Iboats.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
PS: I don't know why but I don't receive email notifications anymore from Iboats.

Yeah... Email notifications are, and have been down for a while...
One of the many things they're working on though, so I'm sure it'll work again in the not TOO distant future... :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah... Email notifications are, and have been down for a while...
One of the many things they're working on though, so I'm sure it'll work again in the not TOO distant future... :D

Let's just say the future. :wink:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, prices are cheaper in the states. The midwest, about the Kansas/Missouri area is the lowest cost