Intro and Identifying my boat

LandSeaAir

Recruit
Hello!

I just purchased a 1981 Century 16ft with a 4 cyl. 153 ci 120 Mercruiser. It came with an adjustable 21ft trailer and many extras. I have been looking online for more information about the model. I have found limited information about Century Boat Company in Michigan. They were thriving during that time from what I can tell. They later got bought out by Yamaha. Any information would be great. HIN: CEBAR094M81K

Attachments

• photo285467.jpg
    photo285467.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo285468.jpg
    photo285468.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What information are you looking for? The imoortant stuff is on the title and registration. Other than that, the motor and drive info is available. You wont find a boat manual (they just dont exist)

tpenfield

Staff member
Assuming that you have Googled, there is a Century boat club. What is on the Internet is probably the extent of the information you will find.

Lots of folks ask the same question as you, only to find that beyond the powertrain, there is not much additional information available.

LandSeaAir

Recruit
I found century boat club on google. I really want to know the model name, which was not on the website or title. I just see general manufacture information. What kind of value does this boat have if I went to sell it? It would be great to look up common problems found that year.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
What kind of value does this boat have if I went to sell it?
depends on location, condition of the boat and time of year. my guess between 1 and 2k in the spring

It would be great to look up common problems found that year.
problems are caused by lack of maintenance and care. what you are looking for most likely does not exist. boats are low-production hand built items. even two identical boats coming down the assembly line will be different in build quality.

LandSeaAir

Recruit
Thank you for the insight. It sounds like I got a great deal. I paid less than the trailer is worth. It has 350hrs on the engine and had been properly winterized and in dry storage for 10 years. The owner inherited it, then brought it back to life. He said he only put 6 hrs on it. Had it winterized again before I picked it up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would pull the drive, inspect the gimble bearing, replace as needed, replace the bellows and the raw water pump unless the prior owner has receipts showing he did that work.. an entire kit with tools is only about $180

tallcanadian

Captain
This is what I found when I ran your number.
Manufacturer: C&C Manufacturing
Serial Number: AR094
Model Year:1981
Manufacturer Address:6725 Bayline Drive
Panama City, Florida, 32404

southkogs

Staff member
Are you sure she's a 16'? Century made a model in the 1980s (I'm assuming '81 from your HIN) called the 180. It was an 18' stern drive boat.

They kinda' look like the Resorter, but I thought Century only made those in direct drive.

Welcome aboard.