16' Sea Nymph too small for open water?

DE_Trev

Cadet
I have a 1986 Sea Nymph that is little more than a stripped down hull at the moment. I am looking for insight on whether or not it is worth rebuilding for fishing.

I live on Cape Cod, MA, with access to Buzzards Bay and the Vineyard Sound. Obviously, this boat has no business on the open ocean. I am unsure how it's size and hull shape will fair in these bays and nearshore waters. With relatively minimal investment (i.e. tiller motor, plywood decking, etc) it has potential for pulling pots, clamming, striper runs, and chasing albies.

Is a 16' aluminum v-hull a waste of time? Am I better off selling what I have to invest in a larger boat?

Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With dead calm water, a kayak is more than enough boat. With rough seas and weather, I would want something bigger

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look around at what other boats are on your local waters, but don't go by what you see in marina slips because a lot of those boats never move.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Depends on your experience level and how hard your head is when it comes to foul weather and rough seas. I've heard the knot heads that say there's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothes. Obviously shore fishermen types.

ahicks

Captain
I was thinking similar. With a boat this small on water that big, this is as much about the skipper and his decision making skills as it is the boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The age old question "How small is too small?" They are days here on The Great Lakes that 25' is too small, even 35', I could keep going, The Edmund Fitzgerald any many other huge boats were too small.. In my opinion without taking in all the factors from weather to experience the boat is too small for open water. If you get a head start on bad weather can the boat outrun the storm? You can answer that yourself. Often when folks ask the size question they already know deep down the answer but need it confirmed by others.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I fished out of Pedder Bay on Vancouver Isiland.Rented both a 15 foot and 16 foot boat.Powered by 40 and 50hp yammys.They would not rent if the weather was coming up or forecasted to.Pedder bay is on the Straits of Juan de Fuca (sp) and next stop Japan.Several large warships glided by ,both Canuck and Yankee.Saw several super freighters also.I was never really far from shore as I was not familiar with that area even though I was supplied with a map and given detailed instructions about the area.Saw several boats smaller than mine .Pick your days carefully ,do you go far from shore ?Can you safely skeddal if the weather comes up?I live on the very east end of Lake Superior and many of times ive gone to the launch and just turned around and gone home.Heres a file pic of out west .
TPMImageServer.ashx

oldrem

Commander
The age old question "How small is too small?" They are days here on The Great Lakes that 25' is too small, even 35', I could keep going, The Edmund Fitzgerald any many other huge boats were too small.. In my opinion without taking in all the factors from weather to experience the boat is too small for open water. If you get a head start on bad weather can the boat outrun the storm? You can answer that yourself. Often when folks ask the size question they already know deep down the answer but need it confirmed by others.

On Lake Michigan, according to the local Coast Guard, small craft warnings mean anything under 40ft. Was caught trolling out there 10 miles out in our 26ft Carver a couple times when the weather changed. The Admiral and I felt blessed when we made harbor.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve seen many a mishap here on the mighty Mississippi weather caused some but mostly operator error. If you’re not confident then send her packing

ahicks

Captain
On Lake Michigan, according to the local Coast Guard, small craft warnings mean anything under 40ft. Was caught trolling out there 10 miles out in our 26ft Carver a couple times when the weather changed. The Admiral and I felt blessed when we made harbor.

Lake Michigan gave me the scare it took for me to quit sailing. Haven't been on a sailboat since (not under sail anyway). "hours of bliss, interrupted by moments of terror"..... Lesson learned here....

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have owned 2 Sea Nymphs.... 16' SeaNynmph FS and a 17' striper.
The 17' was a much bigger boat and did ok on a med-calm day in Buzzards Bay. I caught tons of Albies off South Cape beach in that boat. The 16 was just too low to the water and pounded like crazy. I never felt safe in that boat. If you want to fish in Buzzards Bay I would find a different boat!