We may be adding a new Stratos to the Fleet. Admiral Approved!

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yes that's right sports fans Admiral Approved!

So the last 4 years fishing out of our SS 160 has been good, and she cruises up and down our lake fine. We have decided to get a little bigger boat ( 2 foot itis ) and are wanting to stay with the fish and ski theme, because we really do like to fish and tube/ski.

If the weather holds we are going to be doing a lake test on this Stratos 290SF this Saturday. The seller is about 2 and a half hours away, but has agreed to meet us at a lake in Winston Salem to let us go over her with a fine tooth comb.

She is a 1993 Stratos 290SF with the original Johnson 200 GT. The seller claims he and his dad purchased the boat from the original owner in 2010 and it has been kept covered when not on the water. The pics look good. We shall see.

I'll keep you all posted.

Oh and for the record this would make 4 boats. 2 not running and the SS. If we buy her we may be thinning the heard. I placed our other Stratos on Craigslist with the caption * Not Water Ready * just to see if we get any takers.

Here are some pics of the one we are going to check out this weekend.

1993 Stratos 290SF-3.jpg

1993 Stratos 290SF-4.jpg

1993 Stratos 290SF-5.jpg

Attachments

• 1993 Stratos 290SF-1.jpg
    1993 Stratos 290SF-1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1993 Stratos 290SF-2.jpg
    1993 Stratos 290SF-2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Nice score. I've run one of those one time. They are pretty quick - responsive thing too.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I've always like the Stratos line.

my wife told me in no uncertain terms no more boats.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Rotten Deck! Rotten Stringers! Rotten Transom!

Seats and side panels showing lots of weathering.

Bilge had lots of oil and dirt.

Live wells and storage compartments had leaves and water in them.

Had I not known what to look for thanks to this forum and my experience with our other Stratos I might have unknowingly drug home an unsafe project boat.

The seller and his father met me at a ramp to do a lake test. I asked questions about the motor. Now the seller says it was supposedly rebuilt before they purchased it in 2010,

I asked if it was ever left uncovered and they both stated no. I pointed out the bad weathering on the seats and the side consoles coming apart from water and sun damage. Neither replied.

When I looked at the engine bolts on the transom there was a lot of cracking of the gel coat at the upper bolts. The bolts were also starting to pull through. The splash well had a crack that was dripping water down into the rear compartment over the transom.

I didn't even bother to look at the engine. I was nice to them and just pointed out the problem areas and told them I felt it needed more work than I wanted to put into it.

Honestly the boat looked like it had never been stored in the dry a day in its life.

The Admiral was disappointed but glad we were able to quickly find the flaws. 5 years ago we made the mistake of buying a rotten glass boat. Now we know better, and are better equipped to realize a bad deal when we see one.

Here is the Craigslist add.

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/boa/d/1993-stratos-fish-and-ski-boat/6470019812.html
[h=2]1993 Stratos Fish and Ski Boat - $7000 (Mount Airy)[/h] [h=2][/h]
image 2 of 5
00909_YVMM6C8L1d_600x450.jpg

00C0C_a5nKYsjjmFS_600x450.jpg

00J0J_5VoWLaK4K4r_600x450.jpg

00X0X_lky4BEJGMjZ_600x450.jpg

00303_lP92j1u8cLx_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

condition: excellent
length overall (LOA): 20
make / manufacturer: Stratos
model name / number: Fish and Ski
propulsion type: power
year manufactured: 1993
1993 Stratos Fish and Ski Boat
20' long
200hp Johnson motor
Trolley motor
Onboard battery charger
Bimini top
Ski Pole
Front and rear live wells
Excellent condition
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Tnstratofam

Commander
I didn't take any pictures because I honestly knew as soon as I got out of my truck that the boat I was looking at wasn't coming home with us, and I didn't want to offend the seller.

All I needed was a flash light to look in the storage compartments for evidence of rot ( which was easy to spot ) and the knowledge the good folks here have shared with us over the years to realize this boat would need a total gut and rebuild.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Oh and the kicker. I nearly fell through the deck behind the drivers seat it was so soft. The whole deck was spongy and bouncy!

When the Admiral saw me almost step through the deck she shook her head no and walked back to our truck.

It was an hour and 45 minute drive their, and I was at the ramp maybe 25 minutes looking at the boat. Then back home to Tn

We did stop in Banner Elk at an Italian restaurant we've been wanting to try. It was most excellent!

Sorrento's if you're ever in the Banner Elk area wanting some good Italian.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
An open carport is covered, isn't it? :doh:

Sorry, Dave. The Admiral made the right decision.

southkogs

Staff member
Bummer - at least the rain let up for you for the day (dunno' if you're having the same monsoon season we are in Middle TN).

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Oh and the kicker. I nearly fell through the deck behind the drivers seat it was so soft. The whole deck was spongy and bouncy!

When the Admiral saw me almost step through the deck she shook her head no and walked back to our truck.

It was an hour and 45 minute drive their, and I was at the ramp maybe 25 minutes looking at the boat. Then back home to Tn

We did stop in Banner Elk at an Italian restaurant we've been wanting to try. It was most excellent!

Sorrento's if you're ever in the Banner Elk area wanting some good Italian.

Glad to hear that you were able to successfully steer clear of that "excellent" boat! Good call on your part! And you had a nice trip and some good eats to boot. Cool. :)

Tnstratofam

Commander
Bummer - at least the rain let up for you for the day (dunno' if you're having the same monsoon season we are in Middle TN).

Yeah I keep waiting for Noah to come floating by . The weather up here has been crazy. 3 weeks ago I was covered up with no heat calls, and this whole past week I've been doing A/C calls. It was 80 here Friday.

Tnstratofam

Commander
So the Admiral was pretty bummed out about the boat being in such bad shape. She searched a while on Craigslist today, but everything in our price range seems to be in rough shape. We talked about increasing our budget a bit, but I am only willing to put so much toward a " Recreational Vehicle ". Especially when our Starcraft serves us pretty good.

I'm trying to get her on board with finishing the Stratos we have in the garage, but in order to make it work for our needs I may need to redesign the bow area to be more like a fish and ski versus a bow rider. Then there is the whole problem of it being so heavy a trolling motor to move it would be pricey.

Boats are definitely expensive, and none fit every need all the time.:noidea:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dang!.. Was hoping it was a "Rare Gem" that you'd be good to go with...

Well, at least the Admiral is still on board for looking and/or fixing too... lol

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Atleast you had a good meal, will have to try it out. You ever eaten at la cucina? In mnt city

i have seen wat too many bad boats in our area, going to pickup another pontoon next weekend, good luck in you're search

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So the Admiral was pretty bummed out about the boat being in such bad shape. She searched a while on Craigslist today, but everything in our price range seems to be in rough shape. We talked about increasing our budget a bit, but I am only willing to put so much toward a " Recreational Vehicle ". Especially when our Starcraft serves us pretty good.

I'm trying to get her on board with finishing the Stratos we have in the garage, but in order to make it work for our needs I may need to redesign the bow area to be more like a fish and ski versus a bow rider. Then there is the whole problem of it being so heavy a trolling motor to move it would be pricey.

Boats are definitely expensive, and none fit every need all the time.:noidea:

Expand your search area. I'll be headed to SE MO in a month or two, can go thru the Cape or STL or North AR. I can at a minimum discount this type ad and make it worth a drive for you to come look.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I keep waiting for Noah to come floating by . The weather up here has been crazy. 3 weeks ago I was covered up with no heat calls, and this whole past week I've been doing A/C calls. It was 80 here Friday.

Woke up at 1 am or so the other night and 73 in the house. We normally sleep at 64 or so. Had to kick on the air....

southkogs

Staff member
Woke up at 1 am or so the other night and 73 in the house. We normally sleep at 64 or so. Had to kick on the air....
Yeah - my lawn is destroyed, AC doesn't know if it's on or off. I've got a dehumidifier that we can't keep empty. Crazy weather. Another round in a day or three from what they say.