Starcraft 16ft aluminum

Reaper2017

Recruit
Hello all. I've recently ventured into a boat purchase and need some help. The current owner only knows the Make (Starcraft) but not the year or model of the boat in question. To give you as much info as I can; it's a 16ft Aluminum V-hull boat. I personally consider it a v-hull jon boat, but unsure if that's accurate. I can't see any make/model/year info on the boat itself. I need such to get it registered in GA, so, does anyone have a educated guess as to what I have here?

Attachments

• photo285381.png
    photo285381.png
    871.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo285382.png
    photo285382.png
    999 KB · Views: 3

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Reaper.

The boat style is a row boat (jon boats are technically flat bottoms), but jon boat is what many people down South will call 'em anyway. No biggie. Check on the stern - outside on the right side of the transom - and see if you see a stamped number. Boats after the early 70s were required to have Hull ID Numbers (HIN) and that boat looks like it might be new enough.

Not sure about Georgia, but in Tennessee we can get away with a bill of sale. So here with no HIN, I would just have the bill of sale call it a 1970 Starcraft Row Boat and ask the county clerk about a boat with no serial number ... and then jump through the hoops.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard,

Looks like some nice work was done to bring the old tinny back to like new condition. :thumb:

Which makes it more difficult to know the exact year without the old paint to help ID the boat. My guess seeing that it's a 16' utility boat would be a mid-60's Seafarer.

fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Speaking from experience - If it doesn't have a HIN or doesn't have a HIN, GA registration is simple. No HIN means the state will assign a HIN, with a HIN the state will use the existing number. If she has a HIN, it's on the upper starboard stern below the transom/cap.

A DNR ranger will verify hull length and whatever numbers are on her That's what happened when I transferred my SC . Does the seller have a registration card? Makes it a piece of cake with a bill of sale. I'll guess MY ANGEL isn't a state issued rego number. :smile:

No rego is needed unless a motor of any kind is used on her. Electric trolling motors count as mechanical propulsion. From the DNR; [h=3]Registration Not Required[/h]
Registration is NOT required for the following vessels:
  • Sailboats less than 12 ft. in length with no mechanical propulsion.
  • Canoes, kayaks, rowboats and rubber rafts that have no mechanical propulsion (i.e., are paddled, poled, oared or windblown) and
  • Boats operated exclusively on private ponds or lakes.

Welcome aboard, Reaper. Maybe I'll see you on the lake.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There's a couple other things too that make me think around mid 60's like the rounded bottom and stars on the end caps.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe anything south of the Mason Dixon line that's small is called a jon boat.:D

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I believe anything south of the Mason Dixon line that's small is called a jon boat.:D

Yeah, and down there they call their buddies "Bubba". Up north that would be fightin words.

I once heard a redneck call it a Jack Boat. Not right either.

The boat in question is a "utility". The old ones were all round bottom V-hulls. (not "hauls") Some of the smaller newer ones are still round bottom, but some are now made "deep V" as well, although a relatively shallow V.

A Jon Boat is a flat bottom, square bow.