Bench for small children that adapts to pedestal mount?

jermedic

Cadet
Hi all, I want to take my small children fishing, I'm concerned that the standard pedestal seats that come on the starcraft -star 170 are too tall and they might fall out of them.

I'm looking for a lower profile wider seating, like a bench that might plug into two adjacent pedestal mounts

Can anyone think of any such solution? will I have to make something custom?

Thanks,
Jerry

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Buy a shorter post and a seat with arm rests. Any store that sells boating supplies would have them. Farm Stores, Sporting Goods stores, Cabela's, Bass Pro and of course, right here on IBoats.

fishrdan

Admiral
What seat mounting hardware does the boat have, pics?

My boat has several Springfield Hi-Lo seat mounts, that you can use a pedestal (of different lengths) or put the seat directly into the deck plate. Fitted to a deck plate, the seat surface is about 8-10" off the deck.

briangcc

Commander
I'd second the shorter posts and possibly the seats with arm rests. I'd add that with the posts, I'd see if I could get some that were height adjustable for when the kiddos grow. Not sure about yours but mine grew a few sizes (height) over the winter already.

How about some pictures so we know what you're looking at? Usually helps as there may be other options once we see what you are working with.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Maybe what I did with our Chaparral might work---

This is the seat that came with -and went with- our Chap--
seatorg.jpg

We had a couple of dogs that always fought for the admirals lap space, so she and they always sat in back.

So I picked up this Garelick extra-wide seat (Garelick made the Chap seats fwiw)
seat1.jpg

I make a plywood/aluminum bottom plate that would accommodate 2 riser posts, one used the original riser, the other on the right side I just cut a post to length and capped it, and it just rested on the floor...

seat2.jpg

It worked out quite well!

And with a couple of minutes of post changeover, I could set the seat sideways, which took up less walking space!

seat3.jpg

This wasn't a cheap seat (a little north of $300) but it's very well built, and I still have it as it's going to be my new Captains chair on the flybridge of the SkipperLiner :)