2003 Maxum 2400 cuddy opinions

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
hi guys.
So lots going on as we near the season. One friend just bought a boat (trying to set that up right, see prop section) and the other has just sold his trusty old Sealine and seriously considering the above titled.
The boat has a 350 mpi coupled to a bravo 3 with 26” Props. Fresh water boat and good condition. I won’t tell you the asking price, because you guys across the pond would burst out laughing....ok then..it’s asking £19999. Not rediculous for such a boat and spec over here, but likely twice what you guys would pay.

The thing is, he is finding it difficult because of the really obvious lack of quality on the finish compared to the Sealine. It’s certainly more modern. Will be quicker and newer. He really wants a modern FI engine compared to the old 1992 4.3 carb he currently has.
Does anyone here have the same boat ? What should we watch out for on the sea trial and what performance should we expect ? Late 40’s ?
it looks nice enough, but as I say, he is struggling with the lesser quality and obvious sea keeping detriment it will obviously have in comparison to the Sealine...which is actually a couple of feet smaller.
Love to here the thoughts of the forum.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You know what to look for on a sea trial, see above sticky. I have a pal that has a similar Maxima on Lake Erie and I have fished off it. I don't know the engine but can tell you he loves it, so do I, especially in rough waters.

What do you mean by 26" props? Is that a miss type?

!9000.00 pounds isn't far from what they are asking for a similar newer Canadian boat. Depending on year and condition? What year? I know of a 2005 23' Maxima Cuddy going for 30K CDN here. Asking not getting.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi Old iron maker.
The props are 26” pitch twin Props. Yeah it’s 20k uk pounds. 2003. Likely get one for 15000 dollars over there !

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What year? How many hours, what condition? 26" or degree? I know nada about twin props, on a small Maxim but that number doesn't sound right. I didn't know a boat that small had twin props. You don't know what ya don't know. Another ??, what is a 350 mpi?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its light enough that 26p may get out of the hole decently on the B3. You will know at sea trial

I am so glad i boat in the land of cheap boats.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
26” counter rotating Props old iron maker. Yeah there are plenty boats this size and smaller with twin Props. Volvo Penta have had them on small speedboats and cruiser for years. Even with a 4.3l.
A 350 mpi is the 300hp Mercruiser 5.7 fuel injection model.

Maclin

Admiral
Old Ironmaker ,

For reference, the dual prop Bravo III in that size of boat is usually a 2.0 final drive ratio. Volvo Penta is about the same with their DuoProp, a 1.95 final ratio. Single props in Alpha or Bravo I/II would be around 1.5, same with Volvo single prop drives.

Maclin

Admiral
I have looked over a couple of older 90's ones a while back, not very close though. Both owners really liked them. They had good styling outside and some nice ideas inside, but as far as fit and finish they were the same as any other boats around their age. I have "seen" them compared to Bayliners, but they seemed at least one notch above that level, maybe 1.5 or 2 notches. They were on my list of brands to look at last year, and some showed up but none really stood out to me and I did not go look at them. But where I am at (Texas) almost all of the brands are available at any time, and I sorta stuck to the majors.