Pontoon fuel tank placement question

scott011422

Cadet
hey all, question for you. Why doesn’t the pontoon manufacturers place the fuel tank in the front of the boat? Especially when talking about a tritoon when the tank is already in the center too, why not move that weight to the front to help offset the weight of the outboard?

the reason I ask is that I’m building a center toon for my boat and would like to place the tank in the toon to gain some more deck space. My father asked why not put it in the front for added ballast? Have to be a reason, right??

ahicks

Captain
Simple answer - you put the gas tank (and possibly the battery) where you need it.

A new tri-toon has so much flotation available at the transom, carrying weight further forward more critical. When passengers start boarding, all else being equal, check out which seats get filled first!

An upgraded boat generally has much smaller 'toons, and weight distribution is more critical because of that.

NYBo

Admiral
You need to consider safe and accessible refueling.

scott011422

Cadet
I suppose your right on the tank placement. On my boat however, most people like the rear seats. More comfy and in the shade. Ends up being the adults in the back and the kids in the front.

I think I have plenty of room for refueling. I think. I have about 4” of room from the top of the toon to the bottom of the floor. Then I can run the fuel filler along the floor joist and cut it up into an armrest to pass into a fence mounted fuel filler. At least that’s what I was thinking of doing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you guys are missing the main reason.... its cheaper to not extend the motor fuel line and battery cables.

customers wouldnt pay extra for the battery and fuel up front. so the added cost is taken away from profits.

scott011422

Cadet
So, Then I should have any issues as long as I don't have too much weight in the front. Maybe I'll mount it more in the middle.

Any reason the outboard would have problems drawing fuel from the extra distance? I have a 1997 Mercury 75. 3 cylinder carb'd. My current fuel tank is on deck and draws from the top of the tank, about even with the top cylinder. I may have a whopping 4ft of fuel line at the moment. The new tank would be 3ft lower to the pickup and say 12ft further away.

Also, Does anyone have a Tri-toon with a ski locker that wishes they didn't? if so, Why? Thinking of building one in while I'm at it..