Advice on Deck Boat

The vinman

Recruit
Moving to Lake Keowee. Shopping for a deck boat gently used.
21-22’ IB/OB
Yamaha Hurricane Chaparral, Crownline ?
like passenger seat facing forward
like easy access from back of boat for tubers
mostly for my wife and I cruising. Some tubing for grandkids 1-2 weeks per year
a little fishing
like solid framing for sun canopy than aluminum framing
like boat level off earlier than later.
and where to shop for this bost
Boatrader.com?
could use some solid advice since unable to spend 45-50
looking to spend 35ish

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just bought a Chaparral Sunesta 234. Great layout and seems to be of decent quality. Sea Ray sundecks are also nice and have good layouts but I liked the Chap layout and quality better, especially the roominess of the engine bay. You can definitely pick something decent up for 35k. Boattrader.com is a good place to start. Look at the 2007 and newer Chaparral Sunesta's.
good luck

jkust

Rear Admiral
You sound like a good candidate for a deck boat. I'd at least consider the deadrise because it tends to be less than a bowrider on some deckboats meaning a rougher ride but of course if you are on a small body of water, not sure that it matters as much. I'm partial to Chaparral having owned two so far. If there was a nicer lake boat, i'd have bought that instead as I'm not brand loyal I prefer quality no matter the name. For reasons unknown, Chaparral does an excellent job at fit and finish and the little details that others may have missed or cut corners on where lake boats are concerned - for the money. Likely at your budget, the boats you look at will have an extended swim platform and likely built in for easy access. I'd also bet they will also have a front boarding ladder.

As for where to look, in my state where literally everyone owns a boat due to our 11,000+ lakes, the main source and nearly the only source has become Craigslist. It's the off season now so at least here, there isn't much to look at so that would force me onto a paid listing site to at least see how things are going. That said, every southern state has less expensive boats (and cars) than my state. If a boat costs x here it is 2/3 x in some other state for the same thing or even newer. I tend to buy my cars from southern states because there is almost an exchange rate between costs here and elsewhere. You get a lot more down south. I'd also take a look at some facebook groups that focus on boat sales.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

One place to look for used boats is RIGHT HERE ON iBOATS.

Also, I would highly recommend if you've not spent some time out for comparison that you maybe rent a couple of different boats to try 'em out. As you describe your use a deck boat will work well, but a LOT of folks on the impounds here in TN use a pontoon just the way you suggest.

As far as which one: with used boats CONDITION is king. I wouldn't focus as much on brand as I would finding something you like that is in good shape. Those two qualities in check, that's a boat you'll use and enjoy.

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with jkust, Craigslist should be your first stop. Boattrader tends to be overpriced dealer ads, most of them saltwater boats from the E coast. iBoats is also worth a look.

Lots of great options for deck boats, the the newer ones tend to look less like a duck billed platypus than older models.:) Chaparral does tend to have some very attractive models, their newer Sunesta models are very nicely laid out for family fun. Other mid to high line brands with deck boats include Sea Ray, Four Winns, Monterey, Bryant, and Cobalt.

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice
My wife and I just bought a lightly used Four Winns Funship 194 for all the same reasons the OP listed. We have not had a chance to get it out on the water yet, but we sure like the features it comes with. As for the pontoon recommendation, I look at myself like a young family man who can't bring themselves to buy a mini van. The deck boat is my SUV alternative to the pontoon mini van.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve got a Chaparral Sunesta 264 and love it. I suggest you check out their Sunesta line.