Anyone Ever Park a 30' Boat On The Street in Front of House?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Have any of you parked a fairly large boat on the street in front of your house temporarily? I need to repower my 30' Maxum cabin cruiser with 9.5' beam (which is usually in a slip) and I can't find anywhere around here to park it for a couple weeks while the motor is being rebuilt. The only boatyard in town is full.

I am in a sort of track home development, but with no HOA or CC&Rs. I know it will be an eyesore for some but people park giant RVs in front of their house for a week or 2 without much trouble.

20160429_123427_resized.jpg

IMG_2640_1462902435941.jpg

Embedded pics are in POs driveway. It will not fit in my driveway and would stick out into the street.

Attachments

• photo285044.jpg
    photo285044.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo285045.jpg
    photo285045.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 1

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Depends on local ordinances and your neighbors. In my town (on Long Island) you CANNOT park a trailer on the street that isn't hooked up to a car. Neighbor got a ticket when the zoning enforcement officer caught him. My neighbor was a cop in the same county, and the trailer had been off the car for 15 minutes. Even if there's no law against it, you could have a problem if the neighbors don't like it (jJust for the record, I would not like to see a boat that size sitting in the road for weeks). Lastly, sounds to me like an open invitation to thieves. They won't have to work very hard to grab it.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check your local laws

back in the land of beer and cheese, I had my 26' in front of my house for about a month as I re-did my stringers. then again, I was last house on a dead-end street and my swim platform was actually into the hill a the end of the road. made it easier to step in and out of the boat.... however also made it easier to get grass in the gel in the bilge. Down here in the land of rain and sunshine, no way can a boat or trailer be parked on the street overnight, and the trailer must be connected to a tow vehicle

I would find one of the month-to-month storage parking lots with power myself

Maclin

Admiral
I would only add that you really never know which neighbor will "rat you out" so to speak. All may be fine with it on the face, but even ones you talk to and think are OK with it may get a thorn in their craw about it when back inside their own home. If it is only for two weeks you can probably get 'er done even with a disgruntled neighbor contacting any authorities. Sidebar here:Triple check local regs. How fast things would deteriorate probably depends a lot on the actual configuration and proximity of the streets+driveways+houses. Good luck!

briangcc

Commander
I can't - no overnight parking on the streets. Already contributed to the Police Ball a couple times after we forgot our vehicles were out :grumpy: Then again, I live in the city where streets aren't the most generous in size either so anything out and about causes some issues.

Got family/friend out in the country who'd be willing to host your boat for a few weeks? Or, as advised above, look into an outdoor storage facility for a month or two.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
SDSeville,

What is the total length of your rig, from tip of the coupler (or does the tongue fold? or unbolt?) to whatever is furthest aft (outdrive/prop, swim step)?

And what is the total width (including fenders or side bunks, etc.)?

If you could put my ugly-*** old 15' trihull in your driveway while you're waiting, might be able to make room in my fenced and gated side yard next to my 17' CC. That, hooked to my pickup, fits with quite a few feet of length to spare--it could work!

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There are towns in our rural county that won't let you evn park an RV or large boat in the owners driveway. Forget about on the street. I know I wouldn't want one parked on a urban street where I lived. It can be a safety issue as they create blind spots and I agree with that, especially where kids play. That's was the reason given when they changed the by-law here.

All you need is one pain, can't mind his own business neighbour for this to go sideways. I wouldn't risk it. Every project I've ever tackled has taken at least twice as long as I thought it would going in. When that happens it won't help and you may have to move it on short notice when you really want to be doing something else.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
SDSeville,

What is the total length of your rig, from tip of the coupler (or does the tongue fold? or unbolt?) to whatever is furthest aft (outdrive/prop, swim step)?

And what is the total width (including fenders or side bunks, etc.)?

If you could put my ugly-*** old 15' trihull in your driveway while you're waiting, might be able to make room in my fenced and gated side yard next to my 17' CC. That, hooked to my pickup, fits with quite a few feet of length to spare--it could work!

Thanks ajgraz! 36' from drive to coupler, 9.5' wide (trailer a little thinner than beam).

There are no storage yards around here that allow you to work on your boat. However, these posts had a good idea about the friend in the country. I have a buddy who lives about 10 miles away and has a 75 yard driveway and 3/4 acre front yard that might work. I will give him a call today. I also need to call the mechanic and see if an extra 10 miles each way will make a difference.

Thanks