Age limit of boat- How old of a boat do you as no thanks ?

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Newbe here. Looking to buy 14ft - 16ft aluminum boat . What is the oldest age of boat that must people would buy ? Anything older than say 15 yrs or? Pitfalls of buying an old boat .Does aluminum weaken over the years). Is sea nymph a good brand. Suggestions Please
Sorry about all the questions but i won't know with out asking.
Thanks in advance

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Fred.

Well, the boat in my sig is a 1966 aluminum boat. I've replaced the plywood deck and it's as solid as when it was new 52 years ago.

As far as Sea Nymph being a good boat, it all depends on how well she was cared for. After a few years on neglect even the best boat in the world is ready for the scrap heap or a lot of work to make her good again. Aluminum hulls are a little more forgiving and the wood can be replaced.

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you were buying one now would u buy a 52 yr old boat ? Not trying trying to be a wise guy but at what age limit is the cut off.

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking for a starter boat ( first time buyer ). just need a descent pond jumper.

GA_Boater

There is no cut off age in my mind. It all depends on if you will work on her or pay someone to do the work.

Do you have a boat in mind?

Hi Fred,
An older aluminum boat is totally acceptable. I grew up with a 14' aluminum 1957 Texas Maid Osprey. My father turned the boat over to my care when I was 16, (didn't realize how fortunate I was until I got a little older!). I used the boat until 1992 or so, when I passed it down to my younger brother. Over the years, the original 35 Horse Johnson Seahorse was replaced with a 40 Horse Evinrude, the wooden stiffener in the transom was replaced twice, a couple of paint jobs, steering cables, upholstery work, and sometime in the mid-eighties, I replaced 20 or so leaky rivets.
I would not hesitate to rehabilitate one of these old aluminum boats! Add a late-model 40-50 HP engine, and it would make a great run-about or fishing boat!
P.S. I still love those 1957 tail fins!

GA_Boater

If you were buying one now would u buy a 52 yr old boat ? Not trying trying to be a wise guy but at what age limit is the cut off.

I bought her when she was a young 45 years old. So yes! :smile:

southkogs

Staff member
The boat in my sig is the newest I've ever had. Most of the others were bare minimum of 30 years old. I'm a fan of old fiberglass boats and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in decent shape.

BUT I will say - if you're a new boater, you do want to be careful. Experience really helps you know what to look for in used boats. THIS CHECKLIST is a big help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in 1492 they were oak and pine-tar. aluminum didnt come around till the beginning of the 1900's

my aluminum fishing boat is 60 years old. nothing wrong with old aluminum fishing/utility boats

now a fiberglass boat, after 15 years, they will generally need some lovin' to keep going

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know very little about maintenance & repairing a boat, much less an older model. All the ones I used were rented.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the members on this site will help you maintain and repair anything. just ask before you buy simply because there are certain boats and motors to stay away from.

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
14ft bass tracker 7.5 gamefisher $1800 1998 / 16ft sea nymph 2008 30 johnson 2003 $2500 both with trailers

NYBo

Admiral
The Sea Nymph is a better deal as long as they are in similar conditions. Do any of the waters you will be boating have HP restrictions?

FredDog01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
wolf river Wisc doesn't but I don't know about the chain of lakes Il . I feel I really don"t need a 30 hp, maybe sell it and purchase a smaller one & recoup some money. A 10 hp or 18 might suit my needs best.
What about bass trackers are they any good?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
An old boat is much like a old (strike that) mature Woman. Maintenance and upkeep is tougher as she matures. A 14 to 16 foot tinny (aluminum) is fairly simple. As far as a cut of date, no such thing. It is all about condition for boats, I have seen some 5 year old aluminum boats that are worth scrap weight because the transom and bottom is gone because of hitting rocks. You must read the sticky at the top of the page and learn it or take with you when looking at a possible buy. 52 years old is an antique, it may have a market value higher than a 15 year old boat because there just aren't many in existence. Once you have made 5 posts here on iboats you can upload pics, photo that boat and post it here. I know I am interested in seeing it. Knowing the boat floats and doesn't leak is a good start. Photographs please.

And welcome to iboats. You have made the first right move shopping for a boat by joining iboats.

southkogs

Staff member
When you get into an older boat - it's all about condition. I see plenty of Tracker boats around. Maybe not the most glamorous, but not all of that bad.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Keep the 30, many times you will want to get up on plane and you wont with a 10hp

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That is an unanswerable question. It all depends on how the previous owner(s) took care of the boat.

My oldest just turned 66 years old. Some of the wood has the original paint on it. There is no dry rot anywhere. It as good as it came from the factory back in 1952. It has been kept inside AND covered its whole life.

Someone here said a 15 year old fiberglass boat will show signs of needing repair. Mine is 34 years old and also looks like it came from the showroom yesterday. Of course it is garage kept and has never sat with water in the bilge.

OTOH, my 54 year old aluminum Sea Nymph has been kept outside uncovered (upside down) most every year since 1964. It has had a few rivet and rib repairs over the years, and the transom was replaced with a new piece of marine plywood. However, the boat still performs as good as new and all of the repairs were made at home and only cost a few dollars.

Forget thinking about the age. Look the boat over and see what's wrong with it. If you don't know how, read a book, ask a friend or search this website. Whatever you do, don't buy anything unless it has a transferable title and a bill of sale.