Looking for a new boat to replace my 98 Searay 215 Express cruiser.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I've had my 1998 searay 215 express cruiser for 8 years now. It's been a great boat, It does everything for me. Ocean Overnighters, Water sports at the lake it's been great all around. It has the 5.0 Merc efi which is a bit under powered but none the less it's been reliable and I've never had an issue with it.

I'm looking to replace it now. I want something maybe a little bigger like a 23Ft Cuddy cabin or even a sundeck style in the 2002-2012 year range. I want something that's above average in build quality. I've been looking at the Regals, cobalts, Searays. I would totally buy another Searay again but I'm open to anything. I'm looking for ideas on different makes and models and that's why I've come here.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
That 215 is a great boat and it will be hard to replace.

I have a 2000 Regal 2550 LSC with a 7.4 MPI and Bravo 3. It's like a bigger 215 Weekender. I love it and have spent as much as 16 days straight cruising it with my wife. The model was replaced by the 2650LSC around in 2002, but they are very similarl despite having very different styling. One of either of those with full camper canvas and at least a 5.7 engine might suit your needs nicely. The 215 feels bigger than it is and you might find that the typical 23 foot cuddy does not feel much bigger than your 215.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The 215 feels bigger than it is and you might find that the typical 23 foot cuddy does not feel much bigger than your 215.

Agreed. I've been aboard a 215 (which is a great boat) & owned a 23' Larson Hampton cuddy before I got my 250 Sundancer. Yes both those port windows open w/screens which made that Larson an awesome over-nighter!

SeaRay makes a 280 cuddy which is a sweet boat but may be bigger than you plan to go.

220Hampton.jpg

Freedom245

Recruit
I looked at the 215 Weekender in 2003. Good boat but wanted a little more room. Check out the SeaRay 245 weekender. If you liked the 215 you may find that the difference between the two might be just what you are looking for. The 245 also has a higher profile on the water as well so its pretty good as a coasty. We've had ours since 2003 and while I've made a few modifications such as adding a custom bowsprit with a power windlass the overall design works well for us. You'll also find the 5.0 mercruiser with the Bravo 3 drive pushes her along quite well.

mr 88

Commander
. I want something that's above average in build quality. I've been looking at the Regals, cobalts, Searays. I would totally buy another Searay again but I'm open to anything. I'm looking for ideas on different makes and models and that's why I've come here.

Probably going to upset a few people on here, Sea Ray is at best a average built boat. They build tons of them and skip corners where they can. Its one of the biggest mass produced boat lines in the country. If you are happy with it then don't be afraid t go back to the well ,but it isn't a quality built boat IMHO

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Worth looking at the Campion 705i allante....or of you are lucky enough to find a 705i Chase edition.
Superb build quality and most after 2002 will have a 350mpi or VP equivelant. Build quality will rival any of he best North American boats like cobalt and better.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I looked at the 215 Weekender in 2003. Good boat but wanted a little more room. Check out the SeaRay 245 weekender. If you liked the 215 you may find that the difference between the two might be just what you are looking for. The 245 also has a higher profile on the water as well so its pretty good as a coasty.

That's a really good suggestion. The 245 is kind of a cross between a cuddy like his 215 and an aft cabin cruiser like my 250 Sundancer. Definitely a unique design & worth a look by the OP.