1979 starcraft Runabout Questar 20BR

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this model StarCraft or owned/owns one I'm looking for information on the reliability and weak points/problems people may have had specific to the year and model. Thanks in advance.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a nearly 40 year old boat, it's current condition will be a much better indicator of reliability and problems (expect there to be several) then how it left the factory so long ago......

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to do an inspection on one got the tips from this Awesome site! StarCraft owners of the past chime in for the info :) did an extensive search online and didn't come up with much.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The ones I have seen were 16' with 70 or 85 hp outboards.
Typical little glass runabout from the 70's.
Be particularly careful, looking for rot in the transom or stringers.

I'm not a fan of old glass boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as others stated, its a 40 year old fiberglass boat. assume it needs a complete transom, stringers, bulkheads, floor, and interior replacement. if it was garage-kept and dried with a towel after every use, you may not need a full resto. however the laws of probabilities dictate that there is a high probability the boat need a major overhaul.

here is a link to the specs http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Starcraft_Marine__Queststar_20_BR__1979/bp/66b87362

read this https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
Ill keep up on the research thanks for the tips and instruction.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The older the boat the less and less info is available. If someone actually had the boat when new beware of the information passed on. Guys my age have a tendency to remember less and less thus accurate information is to be taken with a grain of salt. In my experience any glasser of that vintage is going to be a tear out unless the previous owners never got it wet, above or even below. Be prepared to gut her. Going into it with that mindset will serve you well.

If that's you in your Avatar remind me to not run into you in a dark alley! And welcome to iboats buddy.

briangcc

Commander
Just to add on to what the others have already eloquently stated...I'd be prepared to completely rewire the boat as well. A lot can happen over 40 years and who knows how many owners who think they know a thing or two about a thing or two. Random wires spliced into random circuits should be expected.

If this is your first boat, and you haven't already plunked down a deposit, I'd be looking elsewhere. Boat show season is fast approaching so you'll find some owners looking to offload their current boats so they can upgrade. You might stumble into a gem of a boat.

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
oh man you guys are talking me out of this boat ..... not my first boat my last one was a 1985 ranger bass boat I got lucky didn't have to do much more than a tune up put about 300 hrs. on it and sold it just couldn't handle the waves like I needed I should hold off but I have just a limited amount of money I'm trying to get the most out of a fishing boat that I can .

I'm going to lake Powell soon and I cant wait I've been fishing from the bank for years and years. and I'm ready for another boat, I'm going to check the transom wiring compression deck ETC ETC if I like it I'm going to take a chance LOL don't worry ill let you all know how bad I got spanked

OLD IRONMAKER I only look like this at work that way I fit in with everyone else.

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
anybody know anything about sea swirl boats from the 80's ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check around lake powell, plenty of boats in page get scrapped after only 10-15 years. looking at 30+ year old fiberglass boats is looking at a project.

you may want to read this:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...52-perspective-of-fiberglass-boat-design-life

in short, your looking at boats that are 2-3 times past their design life. its like buying a car with 600,000 miles on it

if you want an older cheap boat, look at aluminum and you can replace the transom in a weekend.

Jdude1

Seaman Apprentice
Update: well I didn't get the boat the deck was soft the owner wasn't sure he had any records of repair. It was his first boat, the transom was replaced with an aluminum plate I didn't feel good about it had hit some rocks and some chips were on the bottom. and on and on ...... Aluminum boat here I come.