battery

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
i'm fixing to buy a new battery for my boat can someone tell me how to determine how many cranking amps i need for a 48spl johnson the battery i'm replaceing is a 1000 cca does that seem too much this is the starting batt running 898 ff stereo thats about it i'm looking at durcell marine batt or allstate does anyone have a preference thanks

mr 88

Commander
You can never have to big of a battery in a boat. I buy the biggest one that will fit in the compartment and have in the past bought a bigger battery box to accept said battery. Probably need a dual purpose if your running electronics as most outboard of that size have a small amp output.

NYBo

Admiral
The motor can be started by pretty much any battery; its needs are quite modest. Just get the largest deep cycle battery that will fit so you have some reserve after running the stereo. Be sure to fully charge it after each trip for maximum lifespan.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good advice above!

to add a bit—-you’ll find two “common” sizes of marine batteries almost everywhere—-a smaller Group 24 and a larger Group 27. The 24 is about 10 3/4 inches long and the 27 is about 12 1/2 inches. Both are the same height and width. There are other sizes but these two are by far the most common.

since you have 1000 cranking amps, most likely you have a Group 27 now. (group 24s typically max out about 800-850 cranking amps)

I agree with the other posters in that you can never have too much battery so I’d get another 27.

over the years I havent found much difference in battery brands so I’ve been buying both my car and boat batteries at Wallyworld or Sam’s and they have worked well. The warranty is a little shorter than some other places but they’re about half the cost so I figure I’m ahead even if they only last 4-5 years.(but they seem to last as long as any other brand has for me)

hope this helps.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For your boat/engine you can pretty much go with any marine "deep cycle" battery. I put deep cycle in quotes because most marine deep cycle batteries are actually hybrids.

For my pontoon, I currently have a size 24 "starting battery" to start the engine and a group 27 marine "deep cycle" for everything else.

For my Wellcraft, I use 2 AGM Oddysey batteries.

If you leave your batteries unattended without being able to charge them. Consider AGMs. Lifeline and Deka are good brands.

All depends on what you do with your boat besides just starting it. If all you do is start the engine and use a stereo, any marine "deep cycle" like the Interstate ones at Costco are fine.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Take it for what its worth ,I had a blue top optima that spent its entire life in the boat from 96f to winter at -30.Never put on a charger ever .When it started acting up I took it in and had it tested where I bought it.It was pooched finally but heres the findings for that battery.Average life is expected to be 48 months ,Mine lasted 96 months!I now bought a new wallyworld battery at 1000 cca and hope its good for years also.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Leisure battery will be fine for that engine...but as long as it’s a good starter. More than a few cranks will not go well.
You can get combined starter/deep cycle batteries these days. Best of both worlds. Always a compromise from a good starter, but next best thing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
4 boats, 3 cars, 2 lawn tractors and an RV - so I got a lot of batteries. I used to swear by AGMs because they seemed to last longer, thus they were cost effective even with the higher price. Then, a few years ago I had issues with almost ALL of them at the same time.

I was used to get at least 8-9 years out of a flooded battery in the boat. My maintenance schedule apparently was OK, and I did the same thing with the AGMs, modified to meet their requirements.

The main issue was sulfating, thus they wouldn't hold a charge. I desulfated, but it only lasted a month.

Mu current boat battery is 11 years old - its a AutoZone brand, and it doesn't seem to be needing to be replaced any time soon. I just replaced the battery in my classic car - it was a DieHard - not because it seemed to be needing replacement, but simply because it was 24 years old. Yes, I said 24! Boy, you can't beat those DieHards......LOL.

I have bought cheep Wally batteries for my lawn tractors and they seldom last 2 years. Yeah, only a couple bucks, but not worth the hassle. I want to cut the grass when I want to cut it, not have to fix the lawn mower first...

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I'm trying out the vmax mr137 deep cycle battery group 31, a bit pricey at $280 but I think it'll be worth it now that I have a tower with speakers and sub. Last year had to lug around a jump starter with me if I listened to music longer than 20-30 minutes with boat off.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm trying out the vmax mr137 deep cycle battery group 31, a bit pricey at $280 but I think it'll be worth it now that I have a tower with speakers and sub. Last year had to lug around a jump starter with me if I listened to music longer than 20-30 minutes with boat off.
Those are great batteries. I suggested that exact same one for his camper.