Suggestions on bottom paint?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
What bottom paint do you recommend for 1998 Wellcraft 240 SE? The green stuff on their is like some kind of ablative that was on there when I got it about 5 yrs ago. It is slipped seasonally in fresh water, otherwise stored on trailer. I'd like to re-do the bottom paint when it comes out of storage, before it is splashed, this spring.. Any and all suggestions on what paint, where to get it (here?), how and when to apply - appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo283881.jpg
    photo283881.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Boats should have 3 layers of barrier coat, then 3 coats of bottom paint. Not sure but the boat in the pic is either showing barrier coat or may not have any applied.

Have the hull sanded down to the barrier coat with 80 grit. The barrier coat should be another color so you can tell when it starts to show again. A good shop will take it down as necessary to barrier or to gelcoat if barrier is loose or was not applied.

If barrier coat is in good shape you may need one additional coat for touch up thin spots. If its done correctly you should get at least 5 if not 7 years from bottom paint in fresh water.

Ablative paint is good for boats because it comes off a little at a time which keeps build up lower. Suggest Interlux 2000e barrier coat, and was using Mercon CSC until I bought a lift.