Tender Issue

edcourter

Seaman Apprentice
I only need a tender about once a week and was wondering if any one had any experience with stowing and inflating as needed a small boat. I don't have a lot of stowage space but plenty of 12v power to inflate. 2 person with oars is OK. I have one narrow and long space in the engine room and the swim platform. Its an 86 Carver 2667. Thanks Ed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could do a few kayaks on the bow or tow a amall tender. Not personal experience, however friends picked up a Dux inflatable to do what you want, however the deflation/inflation while hanging of the stern got old quick. So they towed it

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Seems like there are a bunch of great inflatables out there. I bought the mariner 3 for a tender -- inflates pretty quickly. Check out the Inflatables and RIBs forum.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I used to tow the wee 2.3m inflatable at slow speeds. Then stick it on the roof of cabin or pull in up and over bathing platform resting on back seats when on plane.
That was with the cabin cruiser.
These days I don’t have that option. Seldom used with speed boat, but when I do...it’s on a long rope and carefully watched at slowest planing speed possible. Any more than about 17mph and it wants to take off.
Careful positioning way far back and out the wake is the key. Best to get one with an inflatable keel. Helps with straight tracking. Never ideal though, towing on plane. Constantly watching it.
Snap davits on platform is another option, if you don’t mind tripping over them when not in use.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Or for stowage....I kept it under rear seat rolled up or on roof rolled up. Snap davits might be your answer...but you loose your bathing platform.