Repair manuals

im curious what is recommended for a good service manual for a four winns with vp 5.0. My local dealer has Clymer manuals for $40 which they say is better than the seloc kind. Supposedly the clymer is like 3" thick. Is this what I want?

southkogs

Staff member
I've worked off a Seloc for my OMC (When I had it). Ultimately, I tracked down a service manual. For the Mercruiser, I'll wind up going straight to an OEM service manual. I think the consensus here will be that you do the same.

Hmm.. they are a four winns dealer and they said they use a clymer manual in the shop. How much can I expect to pay for an oem manual? I can't seem to find one to download online. ...1998 four winns 200, 5.0

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't be surprised that the manual they sell is the manual they recommend

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
clymer, hayes and seloc make good reading in the out-house. that way you have paper for when your done laughing at all the inaccuracies

go to the VP site and get a manual. used to be able to download for free.

mr 88

Commander
Any questions I have on just about any marine motor are answered right here in the Engines Forum. I wouldn't spend a dime on a manual with all the free info on here ! Are you after anything specific or do you just want to spend money on a manual ?

Well I've asked my fair share of dumb questions over the years so I thought I'd get a manual for this "new" boat. Mainly for wiring schematics and torque specs. I know my 98 fourwinns is notorious for wiring issues with the vdo gauge cluster. And currently I have the outdrive removed for winter maintenence since my LU drain plug stripped out. Most guys on here recommend a manual so I thought I would invest in one to keep some of these generous people from answering dumb questions. I was hoping the manual would also tell me how to set the adjustment on the shift cable upon re installation of the outdrive. I don't think vp manuals are a free download these days and I couldn't even figure out how to order one from their complicated worldwide web page. I hate websites that the first thing you gotta do is tell em you're from Merica.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Get the OEM manual. You cannot trust the other brands to give accurate info, and sometimes inaccurate info can hurt you or the engine. Heck, I would bet the basic specs are wrong in the non-OEM manuals.