Your opinion please on a first boat, cheap one or spend more?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Budget will determine the age and quality of the boat one buys. It can't be simpler. There is a huge swing between 15 and 40K, huge.

I have to say sleeping 4 in an aft cabin is stretching it. Where will the other 2 sleep? Something that hasn't been mentioned. How is everyone with snakes? They like finding a nice warm spot in boats, around here at least. One reason I won't overnight in a boat unless every nook and cranny is checked.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
All great input from the good people here - listen to them, they know what they're talking about.

I will offer another perspective, from my experience and point of view. All of our situations are different, and in general the advice to start with small aluminum with outboard is good. I grew up in and around boats for as long as I can remember - my grandparents places in Florida and Michigan generated my earliest great-boating memories. Our family has always had many boats in several locations- all of which I piloted, helped maintain, etc, etc. So the Admiral and I (she loves boating too) never had time or money to have our own. As I laid in a hospital bed 6 or so years back - I promised myself that we would have our own boat - you only get one shot at life on this planet. We wanted, found, and now have a small cruiser that is slipped and stored on the Upper Niagara River. It's always been in pretty good shape, we have lots of experience and experienced help, but it's still a LOT of work. I love boating A LOT, but I still (sometimes) wonder if we did the right thing - whatever that is. The times when it's scary are fewer now, but that's part of the excitement, for me. Bottom line, I love this addition to the fleet of boats we have access to, and have already made some of the best memories on it with friends and family. But, it would have been foolish to get if we didn't have so many things in our favor - be careful.

But, to offer requested opinions:
spend more now if you can, who knows what tomorrow brings
unless it's perfect, forget about the 2355 (it has an "aft cabin"?)
IFF those were the only 2 boats available in the world, I'd probably go with the 26 ft Chap

just my .02 (from 100,000 ft)

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I'd try to find something right around the 10 year old mark. The boat should have lost a lot of it's value by then but if taken care should not be a maintenance nightmare. I got my '97 250 Sundancer in Oct of 2003. I've haven't really done a whole lot to it since then. The motor and drive have been bullet proof so far. I did put a new water heater in it last season. I also replaced the cockpit cover 5 years ago which cost a $1000 & have put 2 new snap in cockpit rugs in it since I owned it at @ $350 each.

If you have friend that owns something similar, perfect. He can tell you the up and downs of owning a pocket cruiser as far as costs & steer you into the right direction concerning amenities/layout you might want. My advice is to step aboard as many different boats as you can.

One of the funnest toys I've ever owned & it still puts a grin on my face everytime I get behind the wheel! Good luck!

oldrem

Commander
Been boating most of my 68 years. My first experience was when Dad was working weekends as an engineer for the Kiekhaefer Mercury racing team in the 50's and brought home a retired class D hydroplane they gave him. He removed the old deck, stripped it down to bare mahogany and rebuilt it as a beautiful fishing boat. That boat was in service more than 40 years until he finally sold it and bought a tinny.

Me? I've owned too many boats to count lol, from motor to sail back to motor including a 26ft Carver aft cabin my wife and I used for fishing Lake Michigan. The cost of slips, winter storage and maintenance soured us on boats for a number of years.

We're happy now with our 14 and 15 footers. Fix what needs fixing and enjoy them when we can. If we want to fish the big pond, there are a lot of charters available that don't break the bank.

I agree with those who recommended starting smaller, and rent when you want something larger.

Just an old man's opinion for what it's worth.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
All great input from the good people here - listen to them, they know what they're talking about.

I will offer another perspective, from my experience and point of view. All of our situations are different, and in general the advice to start with small aluminum with outboard is good. I grew up in and around boats for as long as I can remember - my grandparents places in Florida and Michigan generated my earliest great-boating memories. Our family has always had many boats in several locations- all of which I piloted, helped maintain, etc, etc. So the Admiral and I (she loves boating too) never had time or money to have our own. As I laid in a hospital bed 6 or so years back - I promised myself that we would have our own boat - you only get one shot at life on this planet. We wanted, found, and now have a small cruiser that is slipped and stored on the Upper Niagara River. It's always been in pretty good shape, we have lots of experience and experienced help, but it's still a LOT of work. I love boating A LOT, but I still (sometimes) wonder if we did the right thing - whatever that is. The times when it's scary are fewer now, but that's part of the excitement, for me. Bottom line, I love this addition to the fleet of boats we have access to, and have already made some of the best memories on it with friends and family. But, it would have been foolish to get if we didn't have so many things in our favor - be careful.

But, to offer requested opinions:
spend more now if you can, who knows what tomorrow brings
unless it's perfect, forget about the 2355 (it has an "aft cabin"?)
IFF those were the only 2 boats available in the world, I'd probably go with the 26 ft Chap

just my .02 (from 100,000 ft)

I never had a real boat. A pal and I went 1/2's on a 12' Sears car topper with a 7HP Evinrude years ago, no trailer until we bought one a few years later. In my early 30's I could put it in the back of my truck solo. Years later when I as well lay in the recovery room after Bladder Cancer surgery my wife said we are getting a boat. That was just 8 years back. We were probably the only residents on the lakefront here that didn't have a boat. The following early spring we started shopping, all my buddies were keeping an eye out too, folks love spending friends money. I was going to be happy with a 15' tinny side council with a 50HP. My wonderful lady said no way, too small. She actually found the 1st boat, my dream a 17' Lund Adventurer with full windshield. A long story, Readers Digest version we got a leak warranty and the boat leaked, I nearly cried. When bringing back some items for the boat I found our StarCraft Superfisherman 190 parked next to the Lund. I bought it without asking the price basically. I love the SC, for an aluminum she's built like a tank. There are days I can't get on this lake, Erie and wish I had a Cuddy at least. There are days the Coast Guard boats and lake freighters have problems here, especially in the fall. The point I am so dreadfully trying to make is there is no such thing as too big. Too small yes. You are in your 50's, there is a best before date for us all. The problem is most of us don't know that date. Since you said you are planning on retiring soon spend as much money possible now, realistically upsizing once you take your pension is very hard to justify. Even though we all have questioned your experience and suggested starting small maybe I am thinking you should buy as big and new as you can afford now. Take as many courses and classes for safe boating that you can. Including Navigation, the use of a VHF radios, a marine engine course, and as I said last but not least several boating courses and read, read and read some more. iboats is a great teaching forum. I have learned so much here it is ridiculous.

One thing I am glad I did was attend the Toronto boat show that winter. It gave me a benchmark as to what a used boat was compared to a brand spanking new one with that new boat smell. To replace my StarCraft today is about $65,000.00 with all the accessories I've added. Something else to consider when pricing a used boat, what is included. It's nothing to spend 3 grand in electronics for a boat today. Heck just for must haves like PFD's, safety equipment like flares and fire extinguishers, anchor, fenders, lines etc. etc. may run $1000.00 easily. It sure adds up fast. Heck a single fender for a 23' Cuddy up here in Ontario can run you $75.00 at a Marine dealer. A good quality basic PFD is $50.00 to $75.00. Not 15 like someone said here earlier this month when we were talking the cost of boating.

You said you will be cruising big lakes, where exactly if I may ask?

oldrem, my Uncle told me we were going to build a wooded boat together when I was a kid of about 6. He took a piece of 2X4 and made a point on the end. I glued on those plastic soldiers, made a railing with Moms thread and spools, a few canons on it and painted it. The best boat I ever owned.

blind Date, that is one beauty you have there. I can see my wife going out on her with no problem. I would probably ruin it for some serious glass guys by rigging her with a huge rod tower, 2 downriggers and 2 power side planners.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
An old friend was never really a boater, but whenever he did something it was all out and he didn't mind spending his savings. He was a Cadillac kind of guy. If he was to buy a car it would never have been a Ford.

Upon retirement he bought an older 40 foot Searay. Since he didn't like the marina it came in, that wasn't enough so he bought waterfront real estate and had a dock built so he could park it in a luxury setting.

Never having driven a boat, even with its twin engines he could never seem to get it to the dock. His wife wasn't enough crew. Getting people to come along was a chore, so the boat got seldom used.

The more it sat the more it cost. When he finally got a "crew", it wouldn't run and they had to call a mechanic.

Short story long, it got sold after only a couple years.

Yeah the outboard tinny is a good first choice. I'd vote for a Starcraft Islander or something similar.

mr 88

Commander
Hello boaters,
I will start searching for a small cruiser in the following months. I've never owned a boat before, but know people who does. Since I'm in my 50s, I want to choose the good one and not have to change because I won't have time, maybe, before retirement (less income).

I see many models, prices etc.

Right now, a work colleague offered me his 1999 Bayliner Cierra 2355, Merc 5.7, Alpha 1 with close to 900 hrs on it for $15000. What I like on his boat is the AFT cabin, but I don't like the fact that the engine is carburated, and the dated look of the seats and some other things.

On the other hand, a friend bought 3 years ago a 2004 Chaparral Signature 260, Merc 5.7, Bravo 3, injection, and a better aesthetic, but I don't think he has a AFT cabin. His boat is a lot nicer, BUT he paid $40000.

That's a lot of money between the two boats. Do a twin propeller (better gas economy) and some luxury worth $25000?
Even if I spend $1000 more in gas in a year for the single prop and carb boat and I invest in seat covers, I will still be far from the $25000, but it will still be carburated.

I can spend the $35000 or so, if needed, it's just that if it's not required I prefer not (other hobbies).

Also in maybe 10 years, if I want to sell, does the $15000 boat loose less because it is already at the bottom of the depreciation chart, or the $40000 boat will be the one that will depreciate the most, or maybe not because it is a better quality and sought after boat?

What would you guys do?

Thank you.

To try and answer your questions ,which many have just given there opinion on what "you" should do. The difference in a carbed engine and EFI and MPI etc is minimal in a boat that you are targeting." Is a twin prop[better gas economy] and some ;luxury worth 25,000. Depends on the what the luxury is and what your needs are. A twin prop is not going to give you a big savings in gas,it will be marginal. Most boats in the 26' range regardless of EFI/MPI/Carbed/Inboard/ouboard/I0/duo props/duo engines are going to get at cruise about 1.7 to 2.5 mpg depending on load/beam/hull design and weight. If your worried about that then you should not be buying a power boat. A rule of thumb is 10% of your purchase price will be spent annually for expenses. After 10 years your 15000 boat will be worth 3500 +/- and your 40,000 boat will be worth 10-15000 depends on what you buy and what the marketplace is hot for when you sell it. Along with it being a freshwater or saltwater boat and overall condition /hours on motors. Again if your looking to recoup money.forget about it,boats in general don't work that way. Expect almost all of your investment to be out the window. As noted by a few, life is short and if you want a 26+ boat to entertain on ,go for it. Take a boater safety course,enlist a experienced Captain to show you how to dock,read the winds,waves and currents along with general navigation in a busy harbor. Some say buy a tin 17' boat first but as you noted you only want to do this onetime. So skip the small boat,which in itself may be a turn off,as in the wife and family go out on a less than stellar day and are thrown around in a mild chop,have no room to stand up ,walk around,stretch,get out of the sun.no head so the girls on a cold water day are dragging off the back relieving themselves ,I could go on but you get the idea..... Your last question is what would you guys do?....... I would buy the boat of my dreams after having it surveyed then go out and have the time of my life while my health is good and not give a dam about my overhead / selling it /gas consumption/overhead /breakdowns or anything else you can think of.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all for the suggestions and answers.

@Scott Danforth, I know what you mean about bad weather and spending a night being dangerous. Where I live, there is no ocean, only rivers and small lakes, so, it won't be like I'm offshore Miami. I won't go boating if the forecast is not 0% or so of chances of wind, rain etc.

Your suggestion about a training or course is a good one, others also suggested that and it is on my to do list. Same thing for the VHF licence, I got the information for Transport Canada and will take the certification before I buy the boat.

Renting here is not very available. Yes you can rent a ski boat with speakers and go on the lake with 80 boats towing skiers, tubes etc in the Laurentiens where it is more a touristic place, but I prefer rivers, and bigger lakes, and those places, to my knowledge don't rent boats.

@Chris1956, I get you about the simpler boat with less accessories are easier and less expensive to maintain, but, are they as fun? For an example, we bought a 2000 Corolla brand new. We used it many year and passed it to our daughter and the car requires a minimal amount of money to run, but it is a boring car to drive. In the past, I bought myself a used BMW X5M, and spent a LOT of money maintaining it, but it was a LOT of fun to drive, as fast as many so called sports cars. For me, once in a while, a fun money pit is required in a man's life, I think LOL.

@Chigwalla, and others, about the size, honestly, I'm not intimidated by that. I did a ride in a 27' Formula cuddy with someone, and I looked at him docking the boat, and I think I can learn that without too much drama. I'm ok with some gel coat scuff, it's called experience. :)
Your customer who broke the drive, may be he was not so mechanically inclined, and didn't understand how the drive works, and just went from throtlle F to throttle R and broke a gear. I'm quite knowledgeable in mechanic and I learned a long time ago that it pays off to respect your mechanic.

@Old Ironmaker; about staying with the wife in a small space many days, euh, I didn't think about that one. I guess we can dock somewhere, take a lunch on a terrasse, go for a walk, change our mind from the boat. I have my diving stuff I can bring and go have fun during the time she reads a book. Do you think it's enough ;-)

About towing it each time. Right now I tow my 16' racecar trailer with my F150 for the last 12 years and I'm used to it, no problem parking or traffic driving. I know the boat trailer will be double that length, but I think it will be just another adaptation. My friend with the 26 Chaparral keeps it at home so he can go many different places as he wishes, and I never heard him say he wished he had a slip for his boat. So I guess it's a question of preferences, slip= boat ready to go anytime, but always in the same spot, trailer= more work etc. The wife will have to learn to help me and I'm sure she will try hard because she knows how that would make me happy. Ummm.

Scott Danforth, I know towing it back home means cleaning it etc, but I'm used to that stuff with the racecar. I have to empty all the tools and parts from the truck, unload the trailer, park the trailer in it's spot, then go over the car the following days to make sure everything is ok. I will have to cut a bit on the track activities to give some time to the boat though. And if boating becomes a sickness and I don't use the racecar enough, I will sell it.

@Sagerider; I like your reply. All you say about your friend etc, I had those thought also, some friends and family members that got sick or died. I now realize that there is more behind than in front. If it doesn't happen now, it will never.
When you were sitting in the pit wondering what you were doing there, that made me smile. I thought the same thing the first time I was at the starting line of my first stage rally. But, those years were a lots of fun and adrenaline. But I was careful knowing I have a family at home. Loose some points, but keep the body in one piece...

@tpenfield; I think my budget will be between 25-35K. Boats seem to be cheaper in the States than in Canada, but if I count the expenses to bring it here, the currency exchange, it's not worth it. Annual budget, the first year it will be higher because I will do a lot of PM, the the following years, unless the engine dies, it should be not too big stuff, I hope.

@Old Ironmaker; sleeping 4 in a AFT cabin: 2 in the front berth, and 2 (youngers) in the AFT cabin under the floor/seats. We don't have snakes in Canada, only Polar bears and Grizzlys, less scary than snakes.

@Blind Date; nice boat you have. Do you sleep in it, cook etc? What size of engine do you have, and are you satisfied with the HP rating?
Yes, I will try to invite myself on different boats to see what I like or not. Alcoholic beverages and gas money go a long way :)

@Old Ironmaker; I hope you're doing better after your surgery.
I will also go to the boat show in February to have something to compare to.
When I say big lakes, I'm not referring to 'THE' big lakes. I meant bigger lakes that what we have here. My friend want me to go Bay Georgian with him (I don't have a bot yet, pressure, pressure...), that's what I was referring to. Also, lake Champlain is on my list.

@JimS123; I won't go that big, just because I have a crew of one. Ok, also not enough funds for that kind of boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I guess I have a different outlook when it comes to boats. I like simple out on the water. I do not want to mess with devices while boating. I want a GPS/sonar, tach and fuel gauge that work reliably, and that is about it. I have a stereo that I rarely turn on, as you cannot hear it when cruising, and when fishing, the waves and fish are fine to listen to.

I hate stuff that fades, wears out or breaks on a boat. My old SeaRay had teak accents, and lots of vinyl in the side panels, seats and trim. I prefer fiberglass, as you can hose it off.

Finally, I like a boat that is fun to drive. So give me lots of power and easy steering. I prefer my 16 foot speedbooat, to almost any other boat I have driven. The rest are a means to a destination (like a schoolbus). The speedboat makes the trip fun.....

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First boat I ever bought was in 1978, a '65 17' Hydroswift with a 100hp Merc outboard, got it from my friend's dad. I hacked up a trailer hitch I found, cuttin' torched some holes in it so I could bolt it to a beat-up '66 Lincoln. Towed it to Rockport with the then-wife & 2 kids, and a couple of friends came along, include the friend I got it from. He backed me down, I pulled it off the trailer, parked it at the dock, other friends tied it off... we boarded, I took us out of the harbor and out into the big water. My friend grabbed his ski, tied up the rope, thru them and himself into the water, said "when I yell HIT IT, punch it, and when you're going fast enough, I'll wave!" He yelled, I punched it, I towed him around till he got tired, I went back, circled around him while being careful of the rope... yada yada- I towed him and his friend a few times, then I got in the water, and after about a half hour, all of a sudden I got up, I WAS SKIING!!

--That was the first day I ever towed anything, the first day I ever launched a boat, parked a boat, drove a boat, towed skiers, water skied, and trailered a boat...

That day inexplicably changed my life. And I firmly believe that had it been a 24' cruiser instead of a 17' runabout, not much would've been different :)

So I'll be the devil's advocate. Search around (try out at least 6 different boats if possible), and when you find the one you like, buy it, learn to drive it, and enjoy it, whatever size it is. :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Wave34, Georgian Bay can be as bad as Lake Erie when it comes to unforeseen weather. I live in southern Ont. Believe me we have plenty of snakes, some poisonous, Mississauga Rattle Snakes, oh I don't like snakes. I have seen a few Wolves and Coyotes here, even a huge Couger but never a Grizzly Bear so you are good there! Trailering a car trailer and towing a 8000lb or 3636 Kilogram boat and trailer is Apples to Cumquats. I have to give you kudos my man, I love your confidence.

I just found out today that a very close friend of mine I have known for 40 years has Brain Cancer, it doesn't look good at all. You get out there and spend as much money for as large a boat you and your wife want, forget afford, they are giving away money at the bank for LOC's. Go for it Man, life is far too short, especially when you get to the magic 50. I've known more than a few guys that worked their bags off since a teen in some God awful places, retired too late because within a year or two they were dead. Some never made it to retirement.

Go for it Wave, your wife and you deserve it.

And thanks for the feedback, some never have the decency to do that after many here have spent hours answering questions, and answering questions never asked!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wave34 the worst weather I have ever encountered was on Lake Michigan because the 7mph wind change direction. we were up near deaths door and the water went from 1/2' chop to 7' rollers with me punching the bow thru every one.

down here on the ocean you get a bit more warning for weather.

point is, bad weather can change no mater where you are in the world.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The lake I nearly drowned in when I was putting around in a Jon Boat wasn't 200 acres. Turned at a point and the wind lifted the bow until water came over the transom. Big or small lake or big or small river can bite you square on the butt.

Don't think that boat test to get our cards here in Canada is a good boating course, it isn't. I don't know anyone that has failed doing the test especially on line, sign up to do an in class session for your card, where someone can answer a question. Sign up for a course your local Power and Sail squadron puts on, they are the folks that give the VHF radio course as well. There are a few levels for VHF radio use here in Canada. It is actually illegal to use a VHF for anything other than calling for a Pan Pan or Mayday here in Canada.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again for the warnings and suggestions, I take them seriously. VHF is for spring, the course or on water training, I already got an offer from an experienced boater, and weather, I will talk to as many boaters I can to have tips, or simply stay home if there are a slight chance of storm.

And Old Ironmaker sometimes I need people like you to take me from my work routine and obligations. I always been on the conservative side when it was time to spend 'pleasure money', even the racecar took me years to built to my satisfaction.
Go big or go home they say! ah, ah, just joking here. But I will try to buy more boat than not enough.

Wave

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I too am on the conservative side when it comes to spending. I remember having a $25,000.00 mortgage and stressing over it. Now middle class people have $500,000.00 mortgages, or more. It was my wife that suggested the boat and the brand new Silverado to tow it, and she paid for them, bless her. I never owned anything but a well used vehicle in my life.

Maclin

Admiral
As far as price, Plan to spend "more" for one is my advice, you get what you pay for. In a recent boat search I was trying to limit the top dollar, and then realized that much better and newer boats showed up when I went up about 20% over that. So that was my budget versus taste battle over price points. What you have relayed thus far shows you can relate to this, even though 15k vs. 40k is a little more than 20%. But you can definitely see the difference between those boats being compared one on one, right?

Regarding jumping right into a cruiser, I never really wanted to boat that way so won't respond as directly to that, others here have given very good insight along those lines. My brothers always had/have RV trailers, one is fulltime travelling camper now. There is a learning period with camping like that, and they both got pretty savvy with it. It is the same with Marine Cruiser "camping", even more to learn. Both of them started small, and traded up as they could. One changed it all up and went with a Cabin property on a small lake, the other is fulltime retired traveller, sold the house and all. So it is a process, not sure how many steps can be skipped.

I was always drawn to the "look" of a pocket cruiser, but I know that my boating usage is just day running about and water sports. One of the last boats I had was a 22' Cuddy and we just treated it like a bowrider mostly, except you couldn't just drop off or pick up nosed in :) Never overnited, it was chosen as it was a pretty Okay deal on a Repo for slip fees. Nice idea for the Cuddy, and had a blast in it, but looked at bowriders the whole time I had it. But that's me.

Now as to looking ahead to my "final" boat, I (now at 64 years) decided recently to go newer and replace the 2 older boats I had. I know what 90% of my boating has been, and it was pretty constant through the years, so a 19-20 foot bowrider was the ticket, O/B or I/O, either was ok. Ideal boat would be on a single axle trailer. I had neglected myself for years, and had the gamut of old obese guy problems with HIGH blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cholesterol, all that. 3 years ago I went to the Doc and started to get after all that that because I was tired of going to the bathroom every 1.5 to 2 hours. Got the diabetes under control, blood pressure was stubborn but getting better, and lost a lot of pounds due to diet changes. Then about 8 months into that I had the stroke. Whole right side went dead for a few minutes. Had lots of smaller ones too, those affected my eyesight and talking, that was humbling. My dyslexia became greatly magnified, my signature changed, wrote down the wrong letters when writing anything, struggled with simple procedures that before were afterthoughts, all that. The mobility came back almost immediately, but the cognitive stuff took about a year. Anyway, started feeling much better than I had in years and decided to do a boat replacement. Almost like physical and mental therapy to stay sharp, and see if I still "had it" (previous lives in Hotrodding). Kids in college, wife in college, etc. so had to finance most of it even after selling the other two. But that was my choice to get it done before I can't. Wife agreed, just wanted a nice non-stinky interior this time :)

Most importantly, Keep yourself up healthwise if you don't now.

Boating-wise, with good choices you may be able to find that one final boat now, but probably not. With a good purchase deal made on a newer more expensive (and more desirable in the resale market) one though, you could get out of it with a small-to-medium hit if you need to, and post it under the learned lessons column in your ledger. Or go with a "trial" boat (also renting at first seems prudent with the cruisers) then trade up once you have decided you (both) are fully into it.

Good luck, nice first world problem to have in my opinion!

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
As usual, tons of good advice form the folks here. This place is the best.

I will say that if you plan on a weekend (or longer) stay-aboard, cut the manufacturer's 'sleeping capacity' in half unless any kids are pretty small. My wife and I went from a 21' walkaround cuddy, to a 24' 'pocket cruiser', to a 27' Express Cruiser, to the current 26' flybridge in my sig. and avatar. Every one of them has had its good and bad points. Our long duration trips (usually about a week) consist of just the two of us, and the boat can get cramped pretty quickly. Storage space disappears in an eyeblink, and you end up always having to move stuff out of the way before you can do anything. The flybridge, besides giving me great visibility, provides us with an extra 'room', where I go to have my morning coffee, read a book or catch a nap. We basically use the cabin only to cook and sleep.

If you do buy a cruiser in the 22-24' range, walk the foredeck and make sure it isn't too steeply sloped down toward the bow. It's a common shortcoming in a short boat with a full cabin. Someone needs to maneuver up there when docking or anchoring. My 24' Chris Craft express was almost deadly. I was concerned enough that we tried it out on dry land first, but it didn't prepare us for the movement on the water. 2 seasons and that boat was history.

While I'd normally recommend starting small (like I did), my health took a big turn for the worse 6 or 7 years ago. I'm about to turn 65 and am mentally preparing myself for the end of my boating days. I wish I'd started bigger because I'd love to move up to 30-32'. That's no longer in the plan.

Take the basic course, then join an organization that'll give you the opportunity to advance.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

My .02

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
@Blind Date; nice boat you have. Do you sleep in it, cook etc? What size of engine do you have, and are you satisfied with the HP rating?
Yes, I will try to invite myself on different boats to see what I like or not. Alcoholic beverages and gas money go a long way :)

Yes - I sleep on it all the time which is why I always recommend a cruiser with good ventilation. When I was looking at 24-26' pocket cruisers, boats with port windows that did not open w/screens were immediately crossed off the list.

I've cooked on it but the reality is the stove is small and the counter space non-existent so I don't do a lot of cooking in the "galley". I don't use the table down below much either as the one in the cockpit is bigger and nicer to sit at. The fridge is nice to have versus a cooler filled with ice and hot/cold water at the sink to wash utensils comes in handy. I don't have an inverter so I can only use the microwave when i'm plugged into shore power.

My boat has a 5.7 EFI (throttle body) with a Bravo III outdrive. Don't know what the rated HP is but it jumps on plane effortlessly. And yes I'm absolutely satisfied with the HP/perfromance. It was the test drive that sealed the deal for me when I bought it. Do NOT buy anything without a Bravo III or Volvo Penta Duo-prop and less than a 5.7 motor. With the newer boats I don't think you can even find one with a single prop drive if that tells you anything. I also would not consider anything w/5.0 as that motor weighs the same as a 5.7 and has the same footprint. The only thing it offers over a 5.7 is less torque to get you out of the hole.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you do buy a cruiser in the 22-24' range, walk the foredeck and make sure it isn't too steeply sloped down toward the bow. It's a common shortcoming in a short boat with a full cabin.

Good advice. I'll also add a boat that gives you nice easy access to the foredeck as well.

Some of the things that were on my list when buying which may or may not be important to you:

1) Pump-out head - No porta potties. Mine came standard w/vacuflush which on most cruisers under 26' isn't even an option.

2) No carpeted headliners - The less cloth and carpet down below the better. The cushions in mine are cloth and it has carpet glued everywhere on the floors - typical of that era boat. Mine has carpet runners which helps, but carpet on the floor in the cabin is just a bad design. I think if you look at some of the newer cruisers they got away from all the cloth and carpet down below - definitely good thing!

3) Camper Canvas - These boats get small quick once you get people and gear aboard. Being able to enclose the cockpit to gain extra room when overnighting is huge. It also allows you to get more fresh air into the boat. It's something that's expensive to add so just find a boat that already has it. My cockpit dinette converts to a bed so I can sleep 6 on mine with the camper canvas up. But I'd never want to try that. 4 people is the absolute max and even that gets pretty tight.