Another kicker question

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
JimS123, I hate to keep harping on this but your information on electric trolling motors is just plain wrong. It sounds like your information is based on electric trolling motors from 20 or 30 years ago. Things have changed. You state trolling with the electric at 1.9 mph would would be dead pretty quick. Not so. People generally use 2 batteries for many hours of trolling. My 18’ Alumaweld with 90hp merc, 6hp kicker, 40 gallons of fuel, 4 adults plus equipment can troll for at least 8 hours at 1.9mph.
For trolling on lakes with moderate size boats (up to about 20 plus feet) an electric trolling motor is actually superior to gas. Silent operation, no gas, no tuneups, always starts, cheaper than gas motors, autopilot gps directional course setting, wireless remote control size of a key fob to control speed and course from anywhere in the boat, simple easy operation, troll up to 4 mph all day long. I don’t use my kicker any more for trolling and will never go back to it. But I do like having it for back up in case my main motor doesn’t start. It doesn’t matter to me if a person uses gas or electric but I think they should be aware of the facts and advantages of electric.

OK, I give up. You must be right. The last MinnKota I bought was in 2011, and I'm sure things have changed since then. Now, please comment on the costs...

How much does the 100 lb. elec troller set you back?
How much does the GPS attachment cost?
How much do the three 12V batteries cost to get 36 volts?
Where do you put them and how does that extra weight affect the boat's performance?
How long does it take to recharge the batteries?
My boat has no room for a bow mount. Can I mount your setup on the transom?
I troll a river half the time and follow the contour of the bottom. So, a GPS is useless. Can I still steer the elec from the helm?

TIA

82rude

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't dare go out far on Superior with an elect motor with out a gas kicker ,that's just asking for death.They have their place but its not out there.

NYBo

Admiral
Over powered? How so?
i did some checking and verified the maximum hp rating for my 2004 165 FM Sea Nymph is 75 hp.

https://cms.geteminleads.com/files/8...-Fishboats.pdf

scroll down to find the specs.
According to a Coast Guard Auxiliary guidance memo for vessel safety checks issued several years ago, the HP of the kicker motor is added to the main motor's HP. Kind of the same thing as when you have multiple outboards powering a boat, although those are in use at the same time. Part of it has to do with the weight, the exact issue you have run across. I doubt you would ever be cited for being overpowered by a LEO, but you couldn't pass a vessel safety check.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I do not have a 100 lb thrust electric. I think mine is around 75lbs. It’s a minn kota. Motors like that with all the electronics range from $600 to over $1000. The ipilot or autopilot or others are very sophisticated. They have gps and you can plot a course with various twists and turns and the motor will run it exactly. It will also run a course in reverse. They can be mounted on the bow of almost any boat. I have an Alumaweld open bow aluminum boat with narrow gunnels up front. I have a bracket that allows me to mount it there. Watch a pro bass fishing show on tv, they all have electrics that they use all day not for trolling bot for slowly cruising and casting. My batteries are in the stern in a battery compartment where my starter battery. Mine is a 24 volt system and the 2 batteries do not have a noticeable effect on boat performance. I have a charger system for them that I just plug into a plug in the boat when I get home and I’m ready to go next time.
I trolled for 40 years with my little trolling gas motors, I never had any complaints with them. A couple years ago I went out with a guide on a large lake trolling for trout and Kokanee. He used his electric all day trolling from 1mph for Kobe’s to up to 3.5 mph for trout using speedy shiner lures off of downriggers down about 50’. He set his autopilot and made speed and course changes with his remote. I was so impressed I got one a couple weeks later and have trolled with it ever since.
I sometimes troll with my gas kicker in the Delta where we have strong current, tidal current and wind. On windy days on lakes I sometimes use my kicker and the electric. The electric serves to steer the boat remotely while the gas is providing more thrust against the wind. One of the best things about the electric is the silence. You notice it immediately and it’s wonderful.
Electrics aren’t for everybody but they are awesome if you do use them. I will always have a gas kicker on my boat to troll with if I need to but especially to get me back home if the main fails. I apologize JimS123 if I sounded a little rude or harsh at first, I guess I’m just passionate about my electric trolling motors. Tight lines

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
It is cold and snowing so I have plenty of time to think of stupid stuff and right now I am thinking of trading my 75 in for a 90.
Before anyone goes gonzo here is my reasoning.
1 New motor with 10 year warranty
2 The 90 weighs the same as my 75 so no weight change
3 Due to my altitude at 3,800 plus rounded up to 4,000 feet elevation my hp loss is around 30 hp. 10% loss per 1,000 feet as told to me by an Evinrude certified Technician. With the 75 I have 45 hp and with the 90 I would have 53.5 well within the spec limits on my boat. Not sure how the boat police will see it.
4 I loose the kicker and use feed buckets to control the speed on either the 75 or the 90, I like that idea.

All I know about walleye fishing and trolling speed is from YouTube so take it from there. :)

briangcc

Commander
Instead of feed buckets, might I suggest a drift sock or two? They come in varying sizes and are more easily stored in a boat. Just roll them up and store. A bit more difficult to do with feed buckets.

Alternately, something similar to this works as well (get the correct size for your engine):

https://www.iboats.com/shop/catalog...ler-small-trolling-plate-f-outboards-20-50hp/

My cousin has one similar to this on his Sylvan.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
How much does the 100 lb. elec troller set you back?
How much does the GPS attachment cost?
How much do the three 12V batteries cost to get 36 volts?
Where do you put them and how does that extra weight affect the boat's performance?
How long does it take to recharge the batteries?
My boat has no room for a bow mount. Can I mount your setup on the transom?
I troll a river half the time and follow the contour of the bottom. So, a GPS is useless. Can I still steer the elec from the helm?

A 110lb Minncotta Altera or Terrova ipilot will set you back around $1200.00 to $1500.00 CDN

The GPS feature is built in, you need to interface it with your GPS unit.

Around here they will set you back $390.00 again CDN

Most open bow fish/ski boats will fit 2 32 series at the bow, yes you will have to find a spot for a 3rd if that's the case, I would, to go to 36V, add the weight of 2 extra 12V's of course, 100lbs? Not enough to effect performance in my opinion, but it all adds up eventually. My 2X12V batteries in the bow act as ballasts as the 15HP kicker had the StarCraft bow high when I mounted it and removed my 2X12V batteries because my 55lb thrust 24V doesn't work well with the 19' StarCraft where I fish. Fine for rivers and back bays but not out in Lake Erie. I call it " The hood ornament.", I put them back in to get the bow down.
No different time to charge than any other 12V's. The batteries will last longer than our Sr. bodies will take on the lake bouncing about.

I have seen them transom mounted

Yes you can steer with helm control, the ipilot is locked in forward, nowhere the responce of the steering of the electric.

The above info is based on a pals 100V ipilot Terrova.

One would also need to add the cost of an onboard battery tender.

Of course there are advantages to both trolling systems as well as disadvantages, in my case $$$. I would always have my 15HP kicker as backup. It's a choice a fisherman has today. JimS123 If you kicker does what you need it to do then stick with it and save a few thousand bucks.

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, this is where it looks like I will be going with all of this.
I had a very nice conversation with the Evinrude dealer in Great Falls Montana this afternoon reguarding a new 2018 75 etec. I trade in my 2005, 13 year old, 75 etec and my Honda 8 hp kicker and give them approximately $6,500.00 and I get a new 2018 75 etec mounted and tested with the dealer on the water with a 10 year warranty. The Honda kicker puts my transom weight way over the limit of 330 lbs by 90 lbs so for me it is worthless and detrimental to use it putting me at risk of swamping over the stern.
The 90 etec is a no go because my boat is limited to 75 hp and it is against federal law for the dealer to install a higher hp motor than the boat is limited for reguadless of altitude limitations on output. Yeah it can be done but I am not wild about breaking federal laws so I don’t. The 90 is the same displacement as the 75 so not much if any gain there even if I did that but I would always be freaked out about breaking the law, normal citizens are like that. The 75 will troll all day long with no problem and the rumor that the etec will have lubrication problems with continuous operation at low rpm is just that , a vicious rumor and untrue.
I will be using my boat on Canyon Ferry and Fort Peck reservoirs, both large bodies of water with Fort Peck being the largest with little boater traffic. Having my 13 year old 75 konk out on me 50 miles from my launch point, any launch point for that matter, is not where I want to be. 50 miles is a long way to walk let alone paddle specially if the weather goes sour which can and does often up here very quickly. Temperatures can drop 40 degrees in a matter of hours leaving the unprepared in danger of hypothermia. My boat being small at 16.5 foot just adds to the problem. Just because I have a new motor does not eliminate any possibility of motor malfunction it would deffinatly narrow that window. I still have the Mercury 3.3 at 28 pounds that would still put me over the transom limit but only by 18 lbs not 90.
As for slowing down the trolling speed, if required, I will go with the drift sock idea, thanks for that tip.
So there we have it.
i had no idea walleye and northern pike were so exspensive. :)

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I think Id use the Honda you have and save the money.

For what it's worth I mainly fish for Walleye, And trolling is my primary method.

I hate electric bowmounts for trolling. It might be a personal preference, I think the electric
is louder to the fish in shallow water than a kicker,...

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
The problem is two fold with using the Honda. As pointed out the Honda’s added 8 hp puts me over the 75 hp limit of the boat. The Honda’s weight of 100 lbs also puts me over the transom weight limit of 330 lbs by 90 lbs. This added weight is appearent when on the water. My answer is to loose the Honda and use my 28 pound 3.3 Mercury with an adjustable jack plate. I would still be over my weight by 18 lbs and hp by 3.3 but the weight factor is the most critical imho.
I could of course always down size the Evinrude 75 etec to a 60 etec but that is very undesirable personally, could happen but not likely.

briangcc

Commander
Inserting foot into mouth here....

Why do you think you are over the horespower limit on the boat? Are you using BOTH motors IN GEAR at the same time? Then in that circumstance, yes you are technically over your HP limit. On the other hand, if you are just trolling with the kicker on and the main OFF, then you are by no means over your HP limit.

Weight's static so yes, you are over there no matter what kicker you are using.

BTW: I/O's have kickers mounted to them for trolling, and it's done routinely.

NYBo

Admiral
Inserting foot into mouth here....

Why do you think you are over the horespower limit on the boat? Are you using BOTH motors IN GEAR at the same time? Then in that circumstance, yes you are technically over your HP limit. On the other hand, if you are just trolling with the kicker on and the main OFF, then you are by no means over your HP limit.
According to the Coast Guard, yes, he is.

briangcc

Commander
Interesting. Like I said, I see any number of I/O's out there with kicker brackets on them for fishing. Not seen one stopped yet for that reason.

Just saying that going off the OP's comments then technically he should not hang a kicker off the transom at all.