Another kicker question

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2004 16.5 ft Lowe Sea Nymph FM with an Evinrude 75 etec and a Honda 8 hp as a kicker. The problem I am dealing with is the transom is rated for 380 pounds and the 75 hp etec at 370 lb is perfect but the Honda adds another 100 lbs. Being that I am over by 90 lbs I am concerned. My question is should I be? I bought the boat used in this configuration.
i recently bought a 3.3 Mercury but it has a short shaft and the prop centerline is even with the bottom of the hull at the mounting location. I also bought a kicker motor bracket that raises and lowers the Mercury and should put the prop and water cooling intake/anticavitation plate at the correct height.
I am not real wild about drilling holes in my transom and after reading about having to lean over the transom with the danger of going overboard I am stuck in a mental feed back loop that leaves me wondering what to do. The little 2 stroke Mercury weights in a 28 pounds saving me 72 pounds hanging off the transom but still over by 18 lbs.
The boat is being refurbished, almost done and will be a dedicated fishing boat for walleye and pike in Montana. The Evinrude etec 75 hp is in perfect condition so not interested in selling to down size.
Your thoughts please.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I assume you want to use the kicker for trolling. That being the case forget about the gas kicker and get a bow mounted electric trolling motor with remote control or autopilot. Problem solved. You could if you want mount one on the transom but it’s much better front mounted with remote control. Once you troll with a silent electric trolling motor you’ll never think about going back to gas.
Also if you wanted to, you could troll with your 75. You can get a trolling plate to keep the trolling speed sloooow.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sell the Honda and buy a 6/8hp late model yamah 2 stroke...of you can find one. Only 27kgs (same as modern 4hp 4 stroke)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If your purpose is to sit in the bow and move the boat around from spot to spot, then an electric trolling motor is what you want. If you want the boat to move forward and "troll" with fishing lines out the back, then you want a kicker. Electric motors should really not be called "trolling motors".

Your setup is probably OK, and a 3HP should do the job. Weight on the transom is marginal, so I can't say its OK. The prop needs to be at least below the bottom, so your bracket will work. Trade it for a long shaft and it'll be optimum.

I've used retractable brackets for 40+ years and I haven't fallen in yet. But I DO wear a PFD when I handle them, plus they aren't running at the time.. Just use common sense.

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
I am fairly new at general boating as it relates to fishing boats as well as walleye fishing. I have had a ski boat and grew up fishing for striped bass on my Dad’s boat but that was a very long time ago. Yes, my intent is to troll with the kicker at slow speeds using bottom bouncers and rapala type lures. I have read that the Evinrude etec is not a happy camper at continuous idle speeds, lubrication issues, like trolling so I worry about using it for trolling.
I have looked at the Evinrude 6 hp 4 stroke that comes in a 47 pounds which shaves off 52 pounds. Not real wild about having to carry a gas can with premix for the two stroke Mercury even though it would only be a gallon, fire gives me a hell of a rash. Safety is number one priority like the Russian guy says on YouTube.
I could sell the Honda which has a 20 inch shaft, get the 6 hp Evinrude also with a 20 inch shaft and use the fuel line already in place for the Honda from the main tank but I would still be over weight but not as much. I plan on taking trips to Fort Peck as well as Canyon Ferry Reservoir up by Helena both fairly close to home.
Thank you very much for your input. :)

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
I troll with my 60 etec all the time and it doesn't complain atall ever!I break every rule in the book when it comes to walleye fishing and always do very good.I use to troll with my 90 all the time also and she never complained either.

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
Interesting about your Evinrude etec 90. The 90 and 75 are basically the same engine.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sorry no mine was a 1982 90 evinrude.Not sure where you read about the 75 but I find that not very credible maybe Crosbyman can chime in he runs a 75 all I can talk to etec wise is 60 and 115 My friend used his 115 all the time for trolling.for many hours at a time.Im assuming this setup is new to you and if so id bet bigtime that if you did a computer printout of the motor you would find 90 percent of its life was at trolling rpm,s.a PRINTOUT WILL TELL YOU DOWN TO THE LAST SECOND .

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If your purpose is to sit in the bow and move the boat around from spot to spot, then an electric trolling motor is what you want. If you want the boat to move forward and "troll" with fishing lines out the back, then you want a kicker. Electric motors should really not be called "trolling motors".

Your setup is probably OK, and a 3HP should do the job. Weight on the transom is marginal, so I can't say its OK. The prop needs to be at least below the bottom, so your bracket will work. Trade it for a long shaft and it'll be optimum.

I've used retractable brackets for 40+ years and I haven't fallen in yet. But I DO wear a PFD when I handle them, plus they aren't running at the time.. Just use common sense.

Sorry but You couldn’t be more wrong about electric trolling motors. Here in California 50% or more of lake trollers use them and close to 100% of the guides them. You definitely don’t need to sit in the front of the boat. You use a remote control. And with a push of a button you can change direction, speed up or slow down from anywhere in the boat. Or you get one with autopilot which you set your course and it will automatically make corrections to keep you on the exact course. I have an 18’ Alumaweld and have a 6hp. kicker. I never use the kicker for trolling anymore. I use my electric. I can troll up to 5+ mph all day long. And the best part it is silent, not a sound other than the lapping of the waves. I’ve trolled with 4 people in the boat with 6 lines out. I’ve trolled for trout, Kokanee, king salmon, stripped bass and others. Unless you have a very large boat or are trolling in the ocean or bays with heavy tides and currents an electric trolling motor is superior to a gas kicker.
Guides especially like them because they can move around the boat checking rods, reels, making adjustments and can control speed and direction of the boat with a small remote control that is worn on a lanyard. A friend of mine who is a guide has a 22’ heavy gauge aluminum boat with 225 Honda and a 15hp kicker. All he uses for trolling with up to 6 guests in his boat is his electric trolling motor.

Last edited:

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
The hp rating on my boat, a 2004 Lowe 165 Sea Nymph FIshing Machine, is 75 hp and 380 lbs on the transom.
The 2005 Evinrude etec 75 weighs in at 370 lbs.

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
Yep, my mistake, the 75 etec specs say 320 and my boat says maximum engine weight not to exceed 330 pounds. So much for remembering off the top of my head. So I still have a 10 pound positive margin. Thanks for keeping me on track. :)

Over powered? How so?
i did some checking and verified the maximum hp rating for my 2004 165 FM Sea Nymph is 75 hp.

https://cms.geteminleads.com/files/8...-Fishboats.pdf

scroll down to find the specs.

Last edited:

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
I just got off the phone with an authorized Evinrude dealer here in Great Falls Montana and was told that my motor, not just mine, losses 10% hp every 1,000 feet of elevation putting my engines output at about 45 hp or less at my elevation of 3,842 feet at Townsend Mt where Canyon Ferry Reservoir is located, no air up here. The technician also told me there was no truth to the rumor that my etec has issues with lubrication at low rpms, which is good news. The only limiting factor is how fast the boat moves at idle when trolling. 1.5 to 2 mph is what I understand is good for walleye.
Keep in mind guys I am pretty new at this.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sorry but You couldn’t be more wrong about electric trolling motors. Here in California 50% or more of lake trollers use them and close to 100% of the guides them.

I went boating / fishing in Kalifornia once and boy was I sorry about that, so you are right.

Put a little gas in the kicker and it'll troll all day. Never have to worry about having the day cut short because the motor crapped out. Then, when you get home there's nothing else to do. If you like having to constantly charge up your batteries and taking time at home, then an electric is for you.

I had a tolling motor on my last boat. Wonderful for volleying thru the weeds in search of that elusive stump surrounded by bass, but when we "troll" in the river we drop down the kicker. That little MinnKota really used up the juice at trolling speeds.

Here in NY we don't mind using a little petrol.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have read that the Evinrude etec is not a happy camper at continuous idle speeds, lubrication issues, like trolling so I worry about using it for trolling.

My kicker on my "fishing boat" is a 3.5 HP Merc 4-stroke. She runs hour after hour trolling with nary a complaint. My "big boat" is set up for Great Lake trolling with downriggers for Salmon. She's equipped with a 9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke and after 500+ hours of trolling she has never even given me a hiccup. Of course, prop selection and engine rpm is key for a 2-stroke.

In any event, trolling speed may be what would govern your choice. In my case 1.9 statute mph water speed is what is needed. At that speed an electric would be dead pretty quick, while a "kicker" would just be sipping gas.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The new 100lb thrust elec trolling motors can do everything a gas kicker can, and much much more. My 15HP kicker is my troller and back up until a new 100lb electric is in the budget. I have had to use it to get in 10 miles on Erie and am glad I had it. I have heard more than a few guys that came in over 5 miles with their electric bow mount at 5 MPH. It is amazing what they can do, push a button and GPS kicks in for the exact route you took a year ago, and same speed.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
JimS123, I hate to keep harping on this but your information on electric trolling motors is just plain wrong. It sounds like your information is based on electric trolling motors from 20 or 30 years ago. Things have changed. You state trolling with the electric at 1.9 mph would would be dead pretty quick. Not so. People generally use 2 batteries for many hours of trolling. My 18’ Alumaweld with 90hp merc, 6hp kicker, 40 gallons of fuel, 4 adults plus equipment can troll for at least 8 hours at 1.9mph.
For trolling on lakes with moderate size boats (up to about 20 plus feet) an electric trolling motor is actually superior to gas. Silent operation, no gas, no tuneups, always starts, cheaper than gas motors, autopilot gps directional course setting, wireless remote control size of a key fob to control speed and course from anywhere in the boat, simple easy operation, troll up to 4 mph all day long. I don’t use my kicker any more for trolling and will never go back to it. But I do like having it for back up in case my main motor doesn’t start. It doesn’t matter to me if a person uses gas or electric but I think they should be aware of the facts and advantages of electric.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
JimS123, I hate to keep harping on this but your information on electric trolling motors is just plain wrong. It sounds like your information is based on electric trolling motors from 20 or 30 years ago. Things have changed. You state trolling with the electric at 1.9 mph would would be dead pretty quick. Not so. People generally use 2 batteries for many hours of trolling. My 18’ Alumaweld with 90hp merc, 6hp kicker, 40 gallons of fuel, 4 adults plus equipment can troll for at least 8 hours at 1.9mph.
For trolling on lakes with moderate size boats (up to about 20 plus feet) an electric trolling motor is actually superior to gas. Silent operation, no gas, no tuneups, always starts, cheaper than gas motors, autopilot gps directional course setting, wireless remote control size of a key fob to control speed and course from anywhere in the boat, simple easy operation, troll up to 4 mph all day long. I don’t use my kicker any more for trolling and will never go back to it. But I do like having it for back up in case my main motor doesn’t start. It doesn’t matter to me if a person uses gas or electric but I think they should be aware of the facts and advantages of electric.

You have hit the nail on the head Sprig. These ain't your Dad's Buick. Many are 36V today. I went on a Musky charter in big water 3 years ago and the guy had a big heavy 20' fibreglass Stratus with a 300 Merc and 15HP kicker hanging on it with a 100lb thrust Minncotta electric. We trolled for at least 7 hours sometimes in 2' to 3' chop, battery life wasn't an issue. The GPS system is amazing. Select a route on the GPS unit, select it and push a button on a key fob and forget about it. Several times he put it in Anchor Lock to cast, that boat never moved off it's spot, it was windy as well. Guys here on the Great Lakes are using them to longline troll all day long. Your not doing that with an old 12V 30 to 50lb thrust, that I agree with JimS123.

Sagerider

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all very much for your input. I have learned a lot in the last day or so and this has caused me to ask questions I had never thought of. This spring I will take the 100 lb Honda off and put the 28 pound 3.3 Mercury on and give it a go. I will also try the feed bucket trick using the Evinrude, I like that one. :)