To Baja or not to baja

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok fellas I’ve talked on here several times about my liberator and it’s omc power. I came to the conclusion to cut bait whilst I’m ahead meaning I wanna get rid of this omc powered boat before it costs me a ton of cash and or a lost season on the river which is the worst part. Sooo my question is I’ve found a 1990 226 es Baja yes Baja. It’s powere by a 454 with a bravo I for $6k Does any one know anything about these boats can’t find much info anywhere. All opinions appreciated and thanks in advance

southkogs

Staff member
Baja is still around (see HERE), so they may be able to provide some details. You can also read a little bit HERE.

Baja is mainly a go fast boat. Good lookin' and I'm assuming fun to run. $6k sounds a little pricey for a 1990 22' though.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea thats what my wife said but what’s my liberators stigma it’s a go fast boat but I don’t think the hull on the liberator is as fast as a Baja’s.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Looks pretty clean. If it's not too rotten, could make a decent boat. I don't see it being much faster than what you've got, but parts are a little easier to come by.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right. And I like the idea of the integrated fiber swim platform

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A while back Baja purchased Fountain, Proline and Donzi (When those companies when bust under American Marine Holdings). Reggie Fountain did a lot of work to help their hulls in recent years. the 90's hulls were a bit slow in the performance boat world.

The motor and drive being a 1990 would not be as desirable as a post '96 build as you are looking at a MK IV block on the motor and an early Bravo

6K is a large amount of money for a 28 year old 22' boat

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
That’s great info. Unfortunately that is around my price point. So I’ll probably keep looking or if I waited until my wife goes full time I’ll have a higher max price

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a `89 226 with the 454 Magnum,365 hp. It was fast but it was a rough ride in choppy water. It was a well built boat.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea my liberator could have a lil steeper dead rise on it as well. But I’d keep it if it wasn’t the omc business. And I don’t think this one I’m looking at is the mag.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Love them....especially the wee baja 192 with the 5.0 Mpi. Put many serious boats to shame

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Love them....especially the wee baja 192 with the 5.0 Mpi. Put many serious boats to shame

Oh, me too. I had 3. A `84 190 with a 200 Black Max mounted on a Gil bracket,the 226,and a `05 275. I think the 226 was my favorite.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iuCH762FbfVhfWeU8

when I originally made this post this was not the boat in mind but after cutting bait with the liberator here’s the newest member of the fleet!!!! It is soooo clean!!!! I’m slightly put off by the shallow dead rise but I think it’ll do donkey. 454 mag! Ss exhaust?!? Small marine cam?!? And a lil head work?!? Not sure what all that equates to but it’s got low hours. 2 owner boat the guy bought it from his uncle it’s from Stephens point Wisconsin.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GIL91t6EWSVulR5E2

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iuCH762FbfVhfWeU8

when I originally made this post this was not the boat in mind but after cutting bait with the liberator here’s the newest member of the fleet!!!! It is soooo clean!!!! I’m slightly put off by the shallow dead rise but I think it’ll do donkey. 454 mag! Ss exhaust?!? Small marine cam?!? And a lil head work?!? Not sure what all that equates to but it’s got low hours. 2 owner boat the guy bought it from his uncle it’s from Stephens point Wisconsin.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GIL91t6EWSVulR5E2

Looks like fun, and I bet it sounds even better! Nice score.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh man...I wish we could get boats like this for that money across here. Who doesn’t love a baja? Especially with this spec. A genuine 60mph gps boat there I’d think.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
The water is still a bit high soo we haven’t run it yet. But he was thinking it’s pushing 425 hp. I have absolutely zero buyers remorse I still haven’t seen anything for sale even remotely close to this caliber of age to beauty. Gell coat is pristine, little nick here or there. Has a strong mothball odor tho prolly from wintering. Proud papa here. Just need this flooding to go away.