1982 Viking Suncruiser 2500 SU IO info wanted

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Other then these two magazine articles on goggle books I cannot find out anything else about this old boat. I see none for sale my guess is that either there isn't any left being a rare find or they are in service still with no issues and very reliable. I know the manufactuer went out of business in 81 and that inagulp and I are the only two in iboats history to attempt a restoration. Right now she is a $600 restoration starter kit with good potental for completion and splash in the next six months to a year. Any information about her will be greatly appriciated.

Attachments

• photo283338.jpg
    photo283338.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo283339.jpg
    photo283339.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo283372.jpg
    photo283372.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Unlike cars and motorcycles.... There is no large repositories of pre-internet defunct and obscure boat brands.

A 37 year old boat is definitely a restoration project

southkogs

Staff member
No shortage of Viking boats out there. I'm used to seeing the deck boats mostly, though. As Scott said - restorations need to be because ya' wanna'. Not too much else will come of 'em (in terms of value or prestige).

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For every 1 person that says go for it 20 will ask about your sanity. As said there just isn't much available in the way of a specific "owners manual" with any useful info. Engines, yes but not the vessel. Not even for some late model boats. Good luck and of you do go ahead with it you must keep us abreast of the project. This summer is not far away, hopefully.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the responses, it is my desire to make this a sea worthy vessel again.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks for the responses, it is my desire to make this a sea worthy vessel again.

then read up on restorations, pull the drive and motor, make a cradle, don on the PPE, fire up the saws and grinders, strip out the rotten stuff, replace with good stuff, dont try to re-invent the wheel, get it done and go boating.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks I've begun some removal posted to my restoration thread. Next task is getting the cabinetry out of the way along with the plmbing and electrical. Having figured out how to build a siginure with a link in it yet. Post under a similar title

Scott Danforth

Staff member
look at the stickies in the forum rules and guidelines forum

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott, the resent web site update doesn't look the same as the signature sticky. In short not making any sense of it or able to make a signiture.