To rescue or not to rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrem

Commander
Battling with myself (haven't even mentioned it to the Admiral yet). I keep passing a 1978 Monark McFast SF with a Mariner 115 tower of power of the same year just 3 blocks away from me. Motor is in great condition and runs good. Steering cable is frozen, so most likely needs replacing. No damage anywhere visible on the hull.

With 2 project boats already, do I want to take on a 3rd?

The guy is willing to sell for what he has invested - $800. Any thoughts?

starboard.gifport.giftower of power.gif

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I think you have to ask yourself why you want it and what you plan to use it for. I’m thinking you just like doing project boats and that’s a good enough reason to get it especially for $800.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
only you can answer that question. however a 40 year old Monark..... be prepared to do a full hull restoration.

ahicks

Captain
You need to be careful of starting a collection of old boats that would make great projects instead of finishing or disposing of ones you've already committed to.

Regarding this one, that could be a frozen cable, but it could also be a frozen set of pivot bearings the engine turns on. Make sure you know which prior to buying!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Nice trailer. The owner doesn't live there, he or she moved the boat down the street from you knowing you can't resist rescuing a 40 year old anything. Nice prop too.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The 78 TOP is the last year of the distributor models before they went to ADI. The big issue is rotten wiring, I had to replace everything electronic and all the wires on my 79 140 which is ADI. Before pulling the trigger pull off that cowl wrap and take a look.

oldrem

Commander
The 78 TOP is the last year of the distributor models before they went to ADI. The big issue is rotten wiring, I had to replace everything electronic and all the wires on my 79 140 which is ADI. Before pulling the trigger pull off that cowl wrap and take a look.

The motor was rewired last year

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If the motor was rewired the right way to include trigger and stator replacement rather than splicing, just the parts would be close to $400.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If the motor was rewired the right way to include trigger and stator replacement rather than splicing, just the parts would be close to $400.

A few years ago a buddy retired and decided he would flip a few boats a year, heck for the price the trailer and parts are worth what people are asking around here for old scows. If anyone needs a trailer or parts Little Buddy has around 12 trailers and 100's of thousands of dollars worth of old boat parts at his building? I started cataloguing and tagging valuable controllers with cables for him, I am up to no less then 18 so far, some even have keys. Finding someone that needs them is another thing.

squared

Recruit
Wow..would you look at that..it's a McFast. I helped develop that boat (if you can say that), worked on certification testing, etc. I worked at MonArk briefly while I was going through college, both in the plant and in 'engineering'. The first "McFast" was a tunnel hull boat, I think it was a McFast 17 as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.