I thought it was a tinny but now I'm not sure

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Took the family late this afternoon to check out the sunset at a boat ramp we've not used before.

On the way home we were cruising along when I noticed the orange glint of the sunset on an aluminum hull. We had to go another two miles to find a place to turn around so when I got back to the boat, the sunset reflection was mostly gone and my pix aren't quite as pretty as I would have liked.

Anyway, I was about 100 yards from the boat which was behind a locked gate and posted signs. It appears to be a 20 footer or so. I took a bunch of pix using my phone camera zoomed to the 4X max.

Once I got home and zoomed in closer with my photo software, I couldn't see any rivets or indications of welding. But the bow has what appears to be a vertical joiner strip and maybe an end cap on top. Looks like it may actually be a glasser painted in an aluminum color?

Any ideas on what this boat may be?

1.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope shes a tinny
Probably an Aroliner
Arolinea57001.jpg

Only pix I could find quickly.

oldrem

Commander
Reminds me a lot of the one used by Shelby on Axe Men - that was a custom built boat History_Ax-Men_518_Up-in-Smoke_LF_HD_still_624x352.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Did a little bit of research this morning and found this pic. It appears to be the exact same hull like the boat I saw yesterday, minus the cabin. But I can't read what it says at the stern! :mad-new:

The link was only to a pic site with no info about the boat at all.

e57f_3-1.JPG

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay, I'm on the scent now! It's a Crestliner. Trying to match year and model now. Closest so far is a 1957 Voyager.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats a Crestliner, and although they made cabin boats, they were distinctly different
1956CrestlinerCatalog, p.7.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Looks to be a Crestliner Voyager Patrol Hardtop, 18 footer. Still working on the year, could be 1956 or 1957. Still researching.

1957 Crestliner Voyager Patrol Hardtop 18'.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, it's definitely a Crestliner Voyager Patrol Hardtop. I just can't nail down the year. Between 1955-59 though. Quite rare.

Maybe I should take a much closer look after the New Year? :noidea: :nod: :D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That would be a head turner for sure all done up. All it would take is a coat of paint, snicker,snick. Cool to say the least.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That would be a head turner for sure all done up. All it would take is a coat of paint, snicker,snick. Cool to say the least.
Yep, that boat could be gorgeous if fixed up properly.

My wife really likes the look of the thing but in her mind, it should be left in an antique fashion.

She really likes old iron, like tractors that have been around and worked hard through their time but are still very functional. She enjoys the patina of a well aged machine.

Like so:
1 sm_hilltop.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thank you for posting an old tractor and not a selfie ;)

Today in the cold and snowy, I feel sorta like your tractor description, except for the still functional part...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
She really likes old iron, like tractors that have been around and worked hard through their time but are still very functional. She enjoys the patina of a well aged machine.

Like so:

Well then she would like me, I showed my wife what you wrote above and she said it describes me to a "T" except the "very functional". But seriously I would bring the boat back to original as possible without blowing the bank out, not a show boat but an everyday driver including those 50's colours like the Robins Egg blue.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So I tracked down the owner of this old tinny and met up with him today. I was trying to get myself into trouble with this little boat but he didn't really want to sell and I really didn't want to buy. So we didn't and everybody's happy! :lol:

Turns out that the owner is a big time boat guy and said he was just thinking of converting this boat into a sand box for his kid to play in! :tongue-new: We had a lot in common and yakked and yakked. :blah: I had my old buddy with me, otherwise I would have stayed and yakked all day about boats and such. But I had to get my bud back to his place so that he could take his nap. :sleeping:

The boat is titled as a 1956 Larson Voyager. I suppose that Crestliner bought out Larson at some point.

The boat spent its entire life in saltwater. First up north running crab traps then down here in Florida doing who knows what.

There are about a zillion coats of nasty old paint and several layers of spray foam insulation/sealant everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a ton of corrosion beneath all that gook and mentioned it to the owner. He agreed. That's about the time he mentioned the sandbox idea. :D

Still, it's a neat old boat. Rare too. From my research it seems like only about a 1/2 dozen of this "Patrol" model were built in 1956. Might be good as a "picnic" boat... something to take the family out in to have lunch on some little island and so on. A little 40HP four stroke would be just about ideal. Maybe a Surrey top too? :party:

1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
More pix... :D

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The tinny owner also showed me this BIG tinny! A 50 foot all aluminum racing catamaran. It reached speeds of 132MPH. :eek:

He recently had it silica blasted in preparation for paint and restoration.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
And this one's for the Starmada... a 1973 Starcraft Chieftain I/O with original trailer. :)
The guy has a whole bunch of boats sitting on that acreage. Fun stuff! :cool:

1.jpg

6.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg