Tahoe Q4 swim ladder too short? Needs another step.....

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There are only 2 steps on my 2004 Tahoe Q4 swim ladder and the older I get, the harder it is too climb out of the water. I see newer models have at least 3 steps. Has anyone found a 3 step ladder that will bolt on and folds up into the fiberglass molded pocket in the swim deck? I've found many of them online but do not know if they will fit properly

alldodge

Staff member
If you post a pic of what's there now, we might be able to find one

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Its a little hillbilly but I made my own extension. I used some chain and PVC pipe for a step. I added 90' el's to a 12" piece if pipe. Threaded the chain through the pipe. Covered the chain with clear tubing. Used a couple of chain clips. Covered the pipe "step" with nonskid tape. Looped the chain around the last step on the ladder and fastened with the clips. Not pretty but it works. We use it when some one needs a little extra help getting out of the water. Also helpful when someone needs to "check to motor". No head on my boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The boarding ladder on my 21 footer is telescopic. It folds to 1 step, and extends to 3 steps. I would expect that kind to be avail on the web.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The factory ladder on mine is telescopic also but only with two steps. I've found a few online with the third step, just wondering if anyone made this upgrade - there is a molded area in the fiberglass swim deck that the ladder fits into when folder up. I may have to just buy one and send it back if it doesn't fit.

alldodge

Staff member
Most the ladders have the same spacing when collapsed. One like this (shows pic of 2 step but dimensions are for 3) is 1.5 inch between each step and the 3 step is 14 inches between the pivot screw and the end of the steps (I have 3 step).

https://www.iboats.com/shop/garelic...ing-drop-ladder-telescoping-boat-ladders.html

Many also have different widths but same length. Ones the have flat steps instead of round can close up a bit tighter

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If anyone knows of a folding or collapsible step that an old ex-Football guy can actually climb I would love one. Rhetorical question.