Older Starcraft Holiday, Value

alhntr

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I found a older starcraft holiday aluminum boat for sale locally. From the picture it shows a 2 pane diagonally windshield with the long brown console. I 'm guessing this a 1966 or 7 model from the pics I found online.. The hull looks to be in great shape. It has a 60hp Johnson outboard on it. It looks like a newer mid 80 engine. Wont be sure until guy gets back in town and I can get the serial number. He asking around 1300.00 for it. I want to us it for fishing. Is it priced right......I assume these are great boats. it's 250 miles away. Hope to take a peek at it in a couple of weeks. Any comments from the Starcraft experts out there will be appreciated. Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the forum :wave:

The 60's Holly has the 2 pane windshield and a bow hatch. They are great boats and there are some differences in the bottom and hull design in the 60's but I don't know the exact date possibly before 65. Early on SC made round bottom boats and changed over to the more desirable deadrise V and later the walk through WS.

250 miles away, trailer condition matters big time and of course adds to the value. 1300 would be pretty steep if the boat is a complete gut job, more in line with what I've seen and paid would be 800 to 1000. If the boat is usable with new seats and decking then 1300 is a great deal. It's all about condition.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would think the motor needs to be in running condition, as well. Is it an inline triple or twin?

alhntr

Seaman Apprentice
Here is picture. The motor does run fine he says. Cant tell what year without serial number, which I cant get until he gets back in town.

Attachments

• photo282710.jpg
    photo282710.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1

alhntr

Seaman Apprentice
Here is another pic. Comes with boat cover and down rigger. Are these good hulls for open lake water, I assume so.

Attachments

• photo282711.jpg
    photo282711.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

What is up with that steering setup? He put the helm in the center, should be on starboard side so there's something that would need to be changed, well at least if it was my boat.

fetch

ahicks

Captain
If the engine is running, he's selling you the engine. The rest of the package is free.

alhntr

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I agree. He fishes by himself. He said he did it for better balance. Whatever, you think you can tell that motor is a 60 or 70 or 80's model from pic.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If the late model motor runs great, 1800 probably isnt too much, BUT the boat has been re-muddled and as Watermann points out, somewhat strangely.

A closed bow isnt that desireable to many, odd remuddling and even w a great running motor plus a reliable and towable trailer, 1000- 1300 is more along what I'd consider a buy it now price for most of the US.

Also pricing is dependent on location. Watermanns market in the PNW is drastically different then the market here in WV.

Watermann

The motor is an 80's model, looks to be a twin cyl.

Can't tell a whole lot from the 2 pics but being on the water makes it seem to be in usable condition.

alhntr

Seaman Apprentice
I wonder if one could modify that windshield so one could walk to bow when beaching boat on shore etc. Seeing how I might be buying just the motor......seems like ok to modify. my opinion.....by all means not a boat expert here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wonder if one could modify that windshield so one could walk to bow when beaching boat on shore etc. Seeing how I might be buying just the motor......seems like ok to modify. my opinion.....by all means not a boat expert here.

Modify? Probably not. Replace w a openable center section windshield? Yep. Plenty of windshield swaps have been done.

Must have to find 1 that will work and add the step thru steps to get up and over the dash, after moving the steering setup....

mr 88

Commander
Asking 1300,which means you should be able to put a grand on the table and walk away with it.Ask beforehand if the wheel bearings have been greased recently ,if not bring a grease gun. Leave the windshield on if your in the NW, rainy,windy,etc
the shield will offer protection. When beaching the boat it will be a pain to board the boat from.the bow,easier from the stern,lower step-way there and if the motor is down you can use it as a ladder by stepping on the top of the L shape in the lower unit or put a step on the transom bit above the waterline and use the motor to grab onto as your entering. The bow itself may have some structural integrity to keep the sides together,just leave it as is. Have a 67 and the bottom.has minimal dead rise to it,great for trolling,drift fishing etc, not great for rough water but I have been on worse riding boat with more deadrise. I wouldn't hesitate buying it for a grand,you will always get your money back out of it if you decide to move up later on..... I believe the holiday is a 18'+ hull and if so the motor is a bit underpowered if you head out with a crew of more than 2. May struggle to get on a plane with that load. Most of the time people just run the motors with what came on it so you may want to put a tach on it and see what sort of rpms your getting out of it with your normal full load. May have to move down in pitch so the motor isn' over worked. If you buy it.

Last edited:

Watermann

I am to assume these 60hp johnsons have power tilt trim.

Would need to see a better pic of the motor mount to tell if there's a TnT. Not always standard, some have just a tilt pump on the starboard side. The TnT will have a single centered ram.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its a mid 1980's 3 cyl 2-stroke. Could be PTT or not. The pic doesn't help us. Looks like the one in my 1987 catalog.

The seats don't look original, so at some point the floor / deck was replaced. Qualirty of replacement is unknown.

The closed windshield / closed bow is probleamatic for fishing...I had one. That's why it went thru several owners after I sold it - nobody liked it.

The Starcraft is a good boat, but buying a 30+ year old 2-stroke is going to be a money pit.

mr 88

Commander
The closed windshield / closed bow is probleamatic for fishing...I had one. That's why it went thru several owners after I sold it - nobody liked it.

The Starcraft is a good boat, but buying a 30+ year old 2-stroke is going to be a money pit.

Out fishing in big water I would want a closed bow,ever have a 6 footer crash over a open bow ? No thanks ! Every boat is a money pit, don' care what year it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes I agree. He fishes by himself. He said he did it for better balance. Whatever, you think you can tell that motor is a 60 or 70 or 80's model from pic.

How about you look on the rear center of the engines cowling!!!!!!!

He boated alone as I read and was a fisherman. 60 would be fine on that boat for that purpose. I had an 18' Holiday with a 110 hp I/O and it was marginal with friends and wanting to pull a couple of water skiers. Main problem was jump seats next to the engine. Folks had to get out of them and go forward to get on plane if 4 people in the boat. Your OB is much lighter and probably no jump seats there so having the passengers forward helps to compensate for that small engine. 35 mph was max for me alone. Big water boat, very definitely. I think that made them very popular on the Great Lakes.

The OMC loop charged engine, as this one is, is super fuel efficient and very reliable. Many built so service and parts are a no brainer. Power tilt is nice to have. On that engine and boat, trim isn't that big of a deal. Look between the transom clamp brackets for the lift cylinder(s). Some had a multiple piston setup for trim and tilt if so equipped, or just one for tilt......don't know if OMC had single pistons for both purposes as did Mercury. I'd expect you to have at least tilt which is handy for beaching and shallow water running at low speeds.

I didn't answer your question directly. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. My comments may cause you to value the purchase for your application, rather than book value, especially if you decide to keep it and not "flip" it.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Value is mainly driven by market. Around here you can't swing a cat without hitting a 30 year old boat and motor, north shore of Lake Erie. That boat would go for $1000.00 to $1200.00 CDN around here if, and only if the outboard runs well. That's less than $800.00 USD.

As far as if it's a good idea to buy it of which you didn't ask, is maybe as long as that engine runs and you have done a compression test across all cylinders first. A compression test is a must. Plenty of engines that seem to run well have engines that are in their just about to break time in life, especially an antique. Would you expect to buy a 30 year old car that you have no idea how many miles on it for 1500 and expect not to have issues?

The pics show the boat in the water. Plenty of things could have happened in the mean time. Then there is your budget. I would expect that you need to add an additional $1000.00 if the boat runs by the time you get it back in the water. At least $1000.00 minimum if the trailer has good wheels, bearings, tires and the frame has no rot. From a new anchor to a new GPS/Sonar combo for fishing. 4 cheapy life jackets are going to be 200 bucks. And that does cover moving the steering to where it should be. And adding a walk through wind shield. Not a good idea standing on the bow of a boat not designed for it. It all adds up.

Personally I would pass. I've seen to many enthusiastic boat owners loose that enthusiasm when they find that they bought a 30 year old boat load of problems.

Good luck to you.

mr 88

Commander
^^^ " 4 cheap life jackets are going to be 200 bucks" Don't know where you live,but I can buy 4 "cheap"USCG approved jackets for 5-10 per.