Gas tank size in a 1989 Renken 2288 WA ?

JOEPRO1827

Recruit
I recently picked up a Renken 2288 wa and am trying to get some info on gas tank capacity and were I might get a boat manual and engine repair manual. I am new to owning a boat and would appreciate any direction in finding any info on this boat. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Joe.

We get questions like you asked from many new boaters. The standard answer is what powers your new boat - We can direct you once we know.

As far as an "Owner's Manual" type book, most boats don't have one like a car or truck and finding information is made doubly hard when the boat builder is out of business like Renken. Asking questions is about the only way figure out some things.

Do you know where the fuel tank is located and can you get to it? Often access ports are placed over the gauge sender and a tag on the tank has capacity info nearby.

southkogs

Staff member
:welcome:

A little bit HERE about your boat. Otherwise, what GA said. Boat manuals (in the idea of a car manual) are pretty much non-existent.

JOEPRO1827

Recruit
Yes the tank is located under a hatch in the middle of the deck, easy access. I will be taking the hatch off as it’s a little soft and want to replace it. Also want to take the tank out to clean it out.

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome. If you can measure the tank then you can determine the capacity.
You can google tank capacity calculator or tank volume calculator.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
(L X W X D) / 231 = gallons. 231 ci per gallon.

This will get you pretty close. Look for a tag near the sender, too.

JOEPRO1827

Recruit
Thanks GA, would love to hear from someone that has or had one or knows someone who had one.

robert graham

Admiral
After you get tank capacity then consider how fast you intend to travel(fuel flow), how far you intend to travel and approximate distances and locations of fuel docks where you're boating....I hate that queasy (wonder if I have enough gas) feeling in my stomach, so generally carry extra fuel in the boat just fo be safe. At some point you may even have a situation where you may be required to tow a disabled boat back to dock for several miles(possibly doubling your normal fuel burn) for that distance. In a boat fuel management can be almost as critical as in an aircraft....

JOEPRO1827

Recruit
Good point Robert didn’t think about that, once I get the boat in the water I want to fill the tank and take a nice ride and try to figure out about how many miles I traveled and then fill the tank up and see how many gallons I used to try to gauge my mpg Just to get somewhere to start.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
way too many things impact fuel burn to calculate it. wind, tide, angle of outdrive, load, barametric pressure, etc. the only thing constant is your motor burns 0.4# of fuel per hp per hour being commanded.

use the rule of thumb. 1/3 of your tank there, 1/3 of your tank to return, the last 1/3 tank is your reserve to make sure you get home.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
hopefully you find some details, but in my experience, most boats of this type and size have a fuel tank of around 200l, if original.
As some have said...easily worked out by measuring.