Steering cable bend too sharp?

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having an issue with a boat I just purchased with the steering being very stiff. I have so far disconnected the steering cable from the outboard and I was able to rock the motor side to side pretty easily, so I know it's not the motor itself and likely something with the cable. One thing that strikes me is how sharp of a bend there is in the steering cable on this boat. My last two boats had a much wider bend in the steering cable. Attached is a photo of it on my boat. Does this look too sharp and would this cause stiff steering? Also, if I left it this way will it eventually loosen up?

If the bend is too sharp, how would I even make it wider. The hole that all of my wires and hoses come through near the transom is how the boat was made.

Attachments

• Steering cable.jpg
    Steering cable.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

mr 88

Commander
No,the bend is fine. Since steering cables are sold in 1' increments if you went with one a foot longer it probably would result in a tighter radius. How easy did the cable move by itself ? You could take it off at both ends and dump marvel mystery oil in it and see if it frees up. The odds are the cable is frayed and needs to be replaced. .

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As stated by the above post^^ but if it's stiff now, any lube is just a temporary fix. Replace the cable, and go boating, have fun......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, that bend is fine. Check where the cable bends to fit into the steering box in the bow. Maybe that one is too tight a bend. Also, cable should be a straight run from splashwell (or mild dogleg) to the turn at the bow. Sometimes the wrong cable (too long) is used and their is a loop in it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So did you run the wheel full lock to lock to see if it was still stiff? It's not the motor being able to swing side to side with the steering arm disconnected, the problem is most likely inside of the tilt tube being full of old grease and corrosion. You should pull the cable off / out of the tube and clean it out, then lube before reassembly.

ahicks

Captain
I doubt seriously the steering has been stiff since new - which would eliminate any sort of install issue (including the tight radius). If the engine pivots freely, this is going to be about getting some lube on that cable. I'd start by removing the cable from the tilt tube, which will likely require the engine be removed.

At best, your chances of freeing up a stiff steering cable are 50/50. Do what you can, but replacement cables aren't THAT expensive and will leave you with 1 finger steering.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rust inside the cable housing is likely the problem, and if that's the case, chances are good the cable is fraying too.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I hope you asked for a boat cover for Christmas.

fetch

​​​​​​​

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: I was able to confirm that the cable was bad. There must have been some corrosion in the cable at some point causing the stiffness. The cable was replaced and it steers great now.