Boat suggestions

fburke

Seaman Apprentice
Lookin to get a boat i want somthing i can put in the ocean and take to the lakes somthing the whole family can enjoy tubing for the kids some fishing for dad not sure what to look for inboard outboard? It will be my first boat as an owner so I don't want anything too big prob around 20-23 ft

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you go with I/O and you want to drop in the ocean. get the optional fresh water cooling

as for type of boat, you have to be specific on all your boating needs, then boil it down to the boat.

number of people you normally bring with you will help determine the boat size
needing to bring the whole family, suggests your going to need a porta-poty. this puts you into a dual console or cuddy
over-nighting puts you into more of a cuddy
ocean and lakes is either an I/O with raw water cooling or outboards
going out in rough water has you in a self-bailing hull
pure fishing puts you in a center console or dual console

southkogs

Staff member
... And note where you'll be boating most. If you're only going into the ocean occasionally, but you're boating on inland lakes that are pretty small most of the time you'll get different suggestions.

fburke

Seaman Apprentice
it will mostly be in the ocean since I live on an island but I would like to be able to bring it up to the lakes from time to time. 5 or six people mostly..not a big fisherman but it world be nice to drop a line in one in a while looks like outboard motors seem to be the way to go I don't want something too big but not too small either ...lot of information to absorb before I take the plunge.

mr 88

Commander
What do you have for a tow vehicle ? What is your budget ? Without those particulars the replies will be all over the place. Do you have a dock/marina to use or will it be towed all the time ? Where do you live ? South ,North etc, that has a bearing on what boat may be the most useful . Now might be a good time to take a safety boating course.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I/O power comes with a lot of weight, maybe 3X of that of an equivalent outboard. Not a problem if you keep the boat in the water, but for trailering ease, stick with the OB.

For the ocean you need at least a 21 footer, unless it is real calm. Dual Consoles or bowriders seat the most people and are good for water sports and fishing. They also provide more protection from rain and wind, vs a center console.

JMO