Boat handling

Ristin

Seaman
What happens in a boat? Will she give me warning signs that were on the verge of disaster?

Last edited by a moderator:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Most boats will give you understeer or oversteer as a warning.
If you hit a wake or larger wave while turning, and you "come down", and the boat grabs and turns hard-- a little to fast for that turn under those conditions. You either have to slow down a bit, or straighten out the turn as you are cresting that wake, then turn again after you smooth out.

Years ago, I would turn through, bounce over, go too fast, slam the boat around a bit -- when I was alone in the boat.

If the passengers are getting tossed and slammed, you need to slow down a bit.

Then there is a boat that chine walks, quite dangerous, and can flip the boat.

Not a likely event with your boat.

Don't let your wife watch this, starts getting shake at the 1 minute mark, then.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
maybe being abit rough, but serves him right for driving that way. TOTALLY ignorant of any safety or common sense

Ristin

Seaman
Thanks. I was mainly curious. I try not to push the ole girl to hard as she is 34 years old. Top speed is 39mph and I would never intentionally turn tight at high speed. I did turn a fairly tight 360 to bounce over my own wake at a lower speed. Kids loved it, wife not so much. :)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Depends on the boat really. Always air on the side of caution. Usually when things go wrong on a boat, it’s not in a forgiving way !

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Learn how to cross another boat's wake, particularly when overtaking.

When I was a brand new boater, I was in the state channel in my 21' walkaround, behind a 40-footer traveling at 10 mph and throwing a massive wake. Not knowing any better, I pulled up near his stern (where the wake size was largest), and hammered the throttle to pass. As I crested his wake the boat got 'tippy" and I realized I'd screwed the pooch. Went over the crest of his wake at something over 20 mph, rocketed down the other side and buried the bow in the trough. Instant deceleration. I ended up in the emergency room when the bridge of my nose connected with the windshield frame. The rest of the passengers got knocked around pretty good, but luckily no-one else was injured.

My .02

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
It takes practice so playing in wakes or ruff seas is the only way to get it. Find a larger boat and stay back to play a little bit.
Mother nature piles up water and sand the same way. The very best drivers at Glamis are those experianced in rough inlets. Most every one of the top drivers is an experianced boat owner because if you can read the water you can read the sand at high speed. I love this place and I love playing in rough water. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Ea0V6WiH8

shrew

Lieutenant
What happens in a boat? Will she give me warning signs that were on the verge of disaster?

Sometimes, but never with enough lead time to properly react. In most cases, you would need to have experienced the behavior to recognize it to begin with. Like a driver running a red light in cross-traffic just as your entering the intersection.

Can you see the accident about to happen? Yes. Can you do anything about it? Probably not. Would a new driver react the same as one driving for decades? Absolutely not.

The question is too open-ended to provide a comprehensive list of "If -> Then" rules.

southkogs

Staff member
One thing that didn't get said directly anywhere yet: you learn to feel your boat. As you get to know your particular boat, you can feel the way it interacts with different dynamics of the water. You really want to learn to pay close attention to that feeling. - "Boat by the seat of your pants" is not entirely off the mark ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Take yourself a US Coast Guard Boating Safety course for starters. Follow their advice on signaling devices especially. With today's cell phones, a 911 call is a super helper. Don't be afraid to seek shelter to ride out a storm. Better to be uncomfortable for a bit rather than be the subject of a missing person's search! At 39mph in a reasonably appointed runabout (type boat) in reasonable water, loaded reasonably you should be in pretty good shape.

#1 is the weather. Never go out without knowing the current conditions and the forecast. If wind is or is forecast to be over 15 mph and you are going to be boating in open water, expect problems with large waves. Always keep 1 eye on the weather when out. If your area has a habit of things like afternoon thunder storms, squalls as they are called where I boated, expect them and when you see one forming, go to safe water and wait them out. They only last for a few minutes but high winds, lightening, torrential rains, and big waves are the norm.
#2 Know your water. Know the bottom contours and especially if you boat in a rocky area where rocks could occur of any size, anywhere that your boat could strike and capsize.
#3 Follow my advice below this reply
#4 Don't take chances. If your common sense and feelings tell you that you may be getting into trouble, listen and take evasive action.

That'll get you started.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting (staged?) video....why was he floating unconscious for 10 minutes (caption) before they pulled him from the water?

Running for shelter in a storm isn’t always an option. What should you do?

Im cruising along at 27kt. on a 1-2 ft. day with a full fuel load and crew. Out of nowhere comes a set of huge converging rollers. Now what?

By the time a boat signals an impending disaster you’ve already lost the battle. Nine times out of ten you end up in bad situations without warning or apparent cause. No amount of course work, studying or reading will prepare you for that day. Only time on the water will give the experience you need

just remember....there are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but no old bold sailors ;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
That guy was very lucky. When he fell out of the boat he was in the direct path of the outboard. All I could think was "Don't try this at home."

A comparison, maybe not a good one. Would anyone in his right mind travel down an wide open road free of traffic, with his children and his wife in the vehicle at high speed then do a 180 degree hand brake turn for fun? Another don't try this at home move.

To answer your question, yes you will get a warning sign. You will get that feeling in the seat of your pants that you do not have as much control over the boat that you normally have. Then you can reduce speed, maybe. If you let the boat get "out" of control you may not have the time, intuition, skill or experience to get her back in control. There are many things as a boater that you can do to keep her under your control. Usually it is a speed that you have control and another thing is not to make a move that wants to put the boat out of control, like doing a 360 with your family in the thing. Be a smarter boater is my advice to you. Yea it's fun, the kids love it. Why not do a 180 on the road too, the kids will love it.

edit: the above is the 63 year old me talking, not the 33 year old. As said above leave plenty of room between you boat and the boat making wake and practice jumping the wake at low speeds at first and gain experience.

Last edited: