boat insurance

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Claiming it would go in the80'sis a lot different than it does go in the 80s. All the resistance factors multiply as speed goes up, otherwise I could put a steeper prop on my toon and it would go well into the 80's too.

82rude

Rear Admiral
So 74 by gps .Possibly into 80,s with different prop it still does over what ins rates for higher premiums.

jkust

Rear Admiral
If you look up the specifications for your boat it will list the top speed, best speed for gas mileage and how far you can go on a tank of gas. When I insured my boat one of the questions was top speed. I was asked if I could go over 60 mph. I suspect honesty is the best policy as if you tell them an untruth and wreck your boat they have an out not to pay. Makes sense to me, 40 mph on the water is fast. 70 mph is crazy fast and if you hit someone or something its going to be deadly.

I was told by an insurance agent if you are asked if you smoke on a life insurance policy and you say no, die in a plane crash they would nullify the policy.

They can opt to not pay the claim if you died within a year of the inception date of the policy otherwise they simply calculate the premium you would have paid had they know you smoked and deduct that additional premium from the settlement or at least that is how I believe it is handled.
I recently shopped my insurances and for the boats, two of the companies asked me how fast they each go. Hard to not tell the truth for supercharged waverunners as they all come somewhere very close to 70 but the bowrider could be a crap shoot. Of course the agents on the phone didn't know a bowrider from a species boat so they just type in what you tell them.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Every time I hear about speed in a boat; it reminds me when one of my cousins bought a speed boat .It was one of "Red Adair's older boats; (Oil well fire fighter in Texas). I went out with him ONCE! We strapped on the helmets; had the straps in place; we were ready! We ran around that lake almost 30 minutes;; got the boat up to 120; dropped down to around 90; and played around 60. When I got home; I had to be helped out of the truck; and into the bathtub to soak in hot espom salt water. I didn't get out of bed for two days. Then I found out what a flag feels like.

So I bought a year's worth of insurance for my '94 Sea Ray 170, 3.0L Mercruiser yesterday. (Texas) They sure were not concerned about how fast it would go!! LOL
This is a $3000 boat, so insurance was cheap- $151 for a year. I did get a break through Progressive, since I have motorcycle insurance through them. Beats me why they now insist on a credit check before insuring you?? Any insurance guys out there want to enlighten us?

oldjeep

Admiral
So I bought a year's worth of insurance for my '94 Sea Ray 170, 3.0L Mercruiser yesterday. (Texas) They sure were not concerned about how fast it would go!! LOL
This is a $3000 boat, so insurance was cheap- $151 for a year. I did get a break through Progressive, since I have motorcycle insurance through them. Beats me why they now insist on a credit check before insuring you?? Any insurance guys out there want to enlighten us?

Price seems somewhat high. I pay $254 a year for insurance through ski-safe on a $60,000 boat with 300K of liability

jkust

Rear Admiral
They've been doing credit report checks with their underwriting for quite a while now. Love it or hate it, people with good credit are a better risk than those without according to actuarial science. Special interest groups have been complaining about credit reporting usage for years.
I personally like that they use them but they should still quote you without it but that they will use a manual factor assuming poor credit if you don't agree. My bet is the price difference isn't that much.

Yeah Guys, I guess I see the point of having good credit, it just torques my prop nut that Progressive used Experian to check my credit. I've already had to replace my credit card because Experian can't seem to keep my data private!

jkust

Rear Admiral
My info I'm sure has been compromised more times than I even know. I was annoyed actually having progressive quote me for an umbrella over my pwc and my boat for which progresive is the current insurer only to yes pull my credit and then decline to quote because they won't provide an umbrella if you own a pwc. See the logic problem there. They already provide the coverage for the pwc that they knew I needed umbrella cover for.
I'm thinking of just freezing our credit.

roffey

Commander
How do you freeze your credit, do you mean not borrow any money?

jkust

Rear Admiral
No, just Google how to freeze your credit. Basically once you go through the process, you have to do a bit of work if you need to say take a loan out or buy a car on credit for example to access your credit. It's free or very close to free. I can't think of a situation where we would ever use credit for any purchase...better to make it inaccessible to criminals.

roffey

Commander
No, just Google how to freeze your credit. Basically once you go through the process, you have to do a bit of work if you need to say take a loan out or buy a car on credit for example to access your credit. It's free or very close to free. I can't think of a situation where we would ever use credit for any purchase...better to make it inaccessible to criminals.

You got me on that one, I've never heard of freezing your credit. For those who don't know, its a way to block anyone from checking your credit score. You freeze it so to speak and only you can "unfreeze it".

You learn something new every day

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yes and nobody can use your credit such as taking a loan out that you didn't authorise. So stolen identify can't hurt you as bad.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I insured my liberator I gave them the model it automatically came up with a big block 460 and it’s a “211” sooo jus shy of 22’ class and with 10k replacement cost I pay $200 a year. Geico