1973 Reinell Project - Advice Appreciated!

Bimmerknut

Seaman
Hi Folks! This is my very FIRST attempt at boat restoration. I picked up this boat and EZ-Load trailer for $150. I figured if all is a loss, at least the trailer is worth that, right? The title lists it as a 20-foot, 1973 Reinell RV2050. I have no idea what was wrong with the motor as it has at least had the intake removed. I can only assume that since there is a brand new dual-draft intake in a box in the boat that it is possibly at Penta/Volvo 130/270, but that's just a guess. Tried "Googling" the model and am finding very little about the boat. Sadly it's been exposed to the Washington elements for about 6 months. The upholstery needs work. I walked on all of the flooring and it seemed nice and secure. The carpet all needs to come up and be replaced. The linkage seemed to work for the shifting and steering, so I can assume that is at least functioning. My purpose is to see this boat as a fishing boat, trolling salmon in the Puget Sound up here in Washington. If all goes well with bringing this boat back to life, I would install trolling down-riggers.

So many questions I don't know where to start, so let's just begin with searching for another engine to rebuild. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for? ANY other advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not young but I'm mechanically inclined, if that helps.

Thanks friends!

Attachments

• photo281693.jpg
    photo281693.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281694.jpg
    photo281694.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281695.jpg
    photo281695.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281696.jpg
    photo281696.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281697.jpg
    photo281697.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281698.jpg
    photo281698.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo281699.jpg
    photo281699.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
If the motor is seized I would start searching Craigs for a donor boat that has a Mercruiser in it. I would then swap everything out,including outdrive.I would be looking for a 120 or 140 hp and NOT the 3.7- 4 banger that was around for a few years and used a heat exchanger. Most of the Volvos are just Chevy/Gm blocks that are marinized with some Volvo tweaks, [ But yours being a older 4 cylinder has me wondering what it actually is ] like raw water pumps/ distributor system and exhaust manifolds, yours may be one and you can try posting on the Volvo Engines forum on this site for specific answers. Not sure of how big of a hole is cut out for the OMC drive but you should be able to glass in a wood spacer and make it usable. Might not be pretty but it you said its going to be used as a fishing boat.

Bimmerknut

Seaman
If the motor is seized I would start searching Craigs for a donor boat that has a Mercruiser in it. I would then swap everything out,including outdrive.I would be looking for a 120 or 140 hp and NOT the 3.7- 4 banger that was around for a few years and used a heat exchanger. Most of the Volvos are just Chevy/Gm blocks that are marinized with some Volvo tweaks, [ But yours being a older 4 cylinder has me wondering what it actually is ] like raw water pumps/ distributor system and exhaust manifolds, yours may be one and you can try posting on the Volvo Engines forum on this site for specific answers. Not sure of how big of a hole is cut out for the OMC drive but you should be able to glass in a wood spacer and make it usable. Might not be pretty but it you said its going to be used as a fishing boat.

Excuse my ignorance please. When you say Mercruiser, are you meaning an outboard? My thoughts were to replace the existing ("engine") and then add an outboard. As far as I know the outdrive is good. Id use the inboard to get to where I'm going to fish and run a small outboard for when I need to just troll. If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're saying to just toss out what's left of the engine, and the outdrive. Plug and seal the opening for the outdrive and just power the boat with an outboard. IF I were to do that, would I just need to then relocate the existing outboard mount that's on the port side to the middle of the aft section? If so, I'd definitely have to get a powered trim to raise and lower the motor. I don't know. Maybe I'm over-thinking all of this. It's late. I"m tired and heading fishing all day tomorrow. I look forward to your reply. Thanks mr 88 ^5

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The engine that is in that boat is the B20 engine that was also used in Volvo autos. For a 20 foot boat, it is very underpowered.

Personally, I would not bother restoring that boat. Very likely that the stringers, floors and transom is rotted.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
A 20? of tbat vintage will likely have a solid glass hull and be quite heavy to say the least. The current engine was woefully underpowered from day one. That?s a boat that is intended to see somewhat rough water, but it?s lack of power can make it dangerous.

When he said mercruiser, he was referring to an i/o. Mercury I/o?s are labeled mercruiser. The benefit to a mercruiser is their widespread availability of engines, drives and service parts at all price points.

Personally I agree with the comment to not get into this project. A complete, running drivetrain can set you back thousands of dollars (and I wouldn?t consider anything less than a 4.3 engine.). Then you?ve got to install it and make it work. This can cost a lot more. That trailer looks like painted steel. Is purger sound salt water? If so, that trailer is already showing a fair bit of rust and saltwater will quickly hasten its demise.

Are you prepared to sink $7-8k into a 45 year old boat to make it safe and reliable for your climate? If it were me, I?d look at what it would realistically cost to do that and use that as my budget to buy something much newer and better powered. Also I?d look into something with a self bailing cockpit. Bayliner trophy models from the late 80s and through the 90s would suit you well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by checking the stringers/transom as Bruce mentioned

the volvo AQ series transom hole is larger than todays volvo holes or the merc. so looking at mercruisers would require filling the hole or spending a grand on the adapter transom shield

if the boat is in good shape, find a donor V8/290DP combination from the late 80's/early 90's in a boat with a rotten hull. however most likely your boat long ago lost the stringers to rot.

AQfoReVer

Cadet
Hi, I am also new to this forum having joined to find the right info on keel rollers. I too am into the old boat restoration and also rather old ( 74 ). I have done two now, a 16' Bayliner Capri and a 17' Sunliner. Also two Yamaha and one Kawasaki Jet Skis. Oddly, all of these I obtained over the years in the Everett / Marysville WA area. I also have rebuilt three of the Volvo-Penta 4-cyl. engines and four of the GM v-8 engines.

Regarding your project, first of all I think that is a really great looking boat and frankly for a painted trailer, from what the pics show, looks like surface rust only, although I would pull the boat and rebuild and re-paint it. I have sure seen worse that I have re-built successfully.

If you are mechanically inclined and have a LOT of time this will be a great project. I would take everyones advice and pitch that engine though. Try to find a pre-vortec GM V-6, any GM V-6 ( advise pre-vortec as I personally have no experience with them ). Volvo makes a bell housing for the GM V-8 / V-6 so if you find an OMC or Mercruiser or other make that has a GM V-6 I would grab it. There was, for a while a guy selling an OMC 3.8 V-6 that I thought about getting ( GM made a 3.8 and a 4.3 V-6 ). Pop the V-P bell housing on and you're good to go. Your outdrive looks to be a 270 although it may actually be an earlier 200. I would try to get at least a 270 maybe a 280. Personally I dislike the 290 simply because of the complexity of that tilt / trim setup. I had one once - nearly impossible to access / remove the hyd. cyls. for maint. I also dislike the tilt mechanism for the 270 / 280 as it was not designed to trim but simply to lift the drive for trailering ( it is also rather unreliable and the electric parts are especially susceptible to corrosion ). I built myself an add-on tilt and trim for the 270 / 280 outdrives that uses the V-P Cobra hyd. cyls. Works great.

Stringers and transoms that have rot are rebuildable if you are willing to spend a bit of ugly and difficult time. I have done both. Also expect to do a LOT of re-wiring.

Good luck

Bimmerknut

Seaman
I appreciate ALL the feedback I've read on this. I've been taking my time to consider my options for the boat. I AM mechanically inclined but the important question is money. Do I want to pour a lot of money at this? No, I don't. I'm on disability and while I have time to take on a project, I'd rather be on the water fishing. Now that brings me to the other possibility. Let's say that I put this boat in the water and the hull is solid with no leaks. That to me would make this an good candidate as a fishing boat out in Puget Sound. It's salt water and the hull design is perfect for it. So I remove the engine and the out-drive, Sufficiently seal the hole and just find a suitable outboard but that would mean I'd also need a power trim to raise and lower the motor, right? I don't need a fast boat at all, as I don't plan on taking long cruises to get to where I need to fish. Probably install no more than 2 down-riggers and call it good to go. Would I even need anything bigger than say a 50hp or 75hp outboard motor? Could I even get away with a 40hp? I may even consider using a much smaller "kicker" just for the trolling time since I have as kicker mount already on the rear.

jbcurt00

Staff member
On a 44yr old boat, it wont be a simple matter of sealing the hole left by removing the outdrive....

Modifiying to hang an outboard really wont be either.

Then consider the work needed to all the other stuff mentioned repeatedly. Its going to need most if not all of that work too.....

Bimmerknut

Seaman
UPDATE: I sold the boat. Realized it wasn't worth my time. Found this little 24 Ft Fiberform in pretty decent shape and runs on a 351 Windsor with a 25hp Merc kicker. Even has what I am told is rare in a sliding glass door. $1,500. I'm sure I'll be a lot happier with this one.

Attachments

• 26230762_1685848684769384_4770629922786749426_n.jpg
    26230762_1685848684769384_4770629922786749426_n.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 26730937_1685847561436163_709012146044325373_n.jpg
    26730937_1685847561436163_709012146044325373_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 26240542_1685848294769423_8807088595113794888_o.jpg
    26240542_1685848294769423_8807088595113794888_o.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 0