Any information about 1981 Malibu 20.

robert1968

Recruit
I recently acquired a 1981 Malibu 20 Hardtop boat. It has a 260hp OMC motor with a 800 leg. I wanted some more information about the boat. Any info would be nice, but specificly, does anyone know how much weight can be in the boat? Can the boat pull a tube or a skier? Does it ride nice?
Thanks, Rob.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Malibu boats are specifically designed for skiing and water sports. So no problem tubing or skiing. Yes it has a nice ride. It?s a fairly heavy boat and plows through choppy water, has a nice ride. I don?t know the weight specifications but it can safely carry at least 5 people. For more info let us know what model it is. Is it open bow? Out of curiosity since you seem to know little about it, why did you buy it and what do you intend to use it for? Can you post some pictures of it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Why would you buy a boat with an OMC stringer drive?

southkogs

Staff member
Malibu boats are specifically designed for skiing and water sports.
Don't think it's the same Malibu. Malibu ski boats are direct drive ... an '81 Stringer sure ain't. It should still pull a tube, but if she's a hard top I'm not sure what kinda' performance you'll get out of it.

I think Sprig's on the right track askin' for pictures of whatcha' got.

robert1968

Recruit
It doesn't look like a performance boat, but it would be nice to pull the kids around on the tube. I don't know what model it is as it says "Malibu 20" on the side. It was my uncle's boat and i bought it for $1500 with the trailer, so i thought it was a good buy. My uncle also does not know much about these boats. He had not used it in years.

oldjeep

Admiral
Malibu boats are specifically designed for skiing and water sports. So no problem tubing or skiing. Yes it has a nice ride. It’s a fairly heavy boat and plows through choppy water, has a nice ride. I don’t know the weight specifications but it can safely carry at least 5 people. For more info let us know what model it is. Is it open bow? Out of curiosity since you seem to know little about it, why did you buy it and what do you intend to use it for? Can you post some pictures of it?

Wrong kind of malibu. He is talking about an I/O that was made by some other company. The model is Malibu, not the maker.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Malibu boats, with a capital M were built in Vernon, BC and have a good reputation in western Canada. They were made with big lakes in mind and rode well. Have no issues towing for watersports. Not sure about the OMC drive.

oldjeep

Admiral
Malibu boats, with a capital M were built in Vernon, BC and have a good reputation in western Canada. They were made with big lakes in mind and rode well. Have no issues towing for watersports. Not sure about the OMC drive.

Be curious to know what the MIC is in the HIN number. Malibu Boats - Merced CA (MB2) (the towboat mfg) is the only USCG MIC that has Malibu as part of its description. Or if the boats were never built for import into US and don't have a standard MIC code - Canadian MFG all seem to start with Z

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My nephew's starts with ZIT The manufacturer official name is Interior Fibreglass Ltd, Their logo uses a capital M in Malibu. You could get some 19' models built with a big block as an engine choice so they must have been pretty confident in their structural strength.