1987 Bayliner Capri Stainless Steel windshield clips/snaps

Habflyer

Recruit
Just purchased this boat. We are having a Bimini top and cover made for fishing in the weather here in the Northwest. Looking for the clips/snaps to attach to the windshield for the cover. Windshield top edge does not have enough metal edge for the installer to screw on the snaps. He knows clips were made after the fact that can be installed. Anyone have some or know where to find them? Maybe a fabricator for tops has some stored away and is willing to sell. Boat is in the shop now but cover will not be made for a couple of weeks so we have a little time to find some. Already tried eBuy and Amazon with no luck.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... The folks buildin' yer top should have ready access to the clips, 'n snaps, from their suppliers,.....

I use These folks for such tools, 'n supplies,....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Welcome aboard. A buddy bought the same boat but an 89 with "L" drive. Good luck with the new to you boat.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
The 1987 Capri that I had came with white plastic clips with a metal male snap attached. After breaking/losing a few the replacements that I found were black and all plastic. I never saw a name on the frame. All the Taylormaid frames that I have seen have their logo on them some where but I could be wrong on this. They were hard to find 10 years ago. Good luck with your search.

Habflyer

Recruit
Thank you for the responses. I've checked the links provided, still haven't found them. The installer has also used the plastic clips and says the same thing. They break to easily and recommends not using them. He found a few of the stainless steel ones at his shop and is still trying to locate some more. Anyone have this boat around that may have the clips still on the windshield not being used? Lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your upholstery / canvas guy/gal will have a dozen or so sources for clips.

Habflyer

Recruit
your upholstery / canvas guy/gal will have a dozen or so sources for clips.

These clips were only made for a short time just after the boat was made. They are hard to find now because of this. The windshield top edge is not wide enough to to drill snaps to. The fabricator has called his contacts trying to find some, with no luck. Thank you for the response.

Habflyer

Recruit
Stingrayaxe. Thank you for the response. Found lots of those clips out there, just not the ones we are looking for. Trying to find the metal ones.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
My 97 Lund Tyee has a Taylor Marine windshield and I have the stainless steel snap clips all over the place. I don't use them as I don't have the full top set, just the bimini top. I'd send them to you but about the time I do I'll wan't to get the complete top set made.

I clicked on the TaylorMarine link above, click on where it says "Ccontact" and either send them an email with a picture or call them, they might just be able to help you out.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Habflyer no problem but after 25 years of owning that boat I never was able to find anything else. Trust me I looked. Good luck!

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Bondo, I had that boat and I don't think those would work. The windshield is unique and may have been built just for US Marine/Bayliner. The original design clips were hard white plastic. They got brittle with age and would crack when installing or removing. They are big so when you are not using them you would generally remove them. They were replaced with the black plastic ones. They didn't get brittle but they fit very tight. When removing them it was easy to drop them in the lake. Since the male snap portion was plastic it didn't hold well with the female metal snap on the cover. That,s why I was always looking for a better solution but never found one. So I sold the boat !!!