08-13 Yamaha 212x vs my Previous Stern Drive Boats

sean.deangelis

Seaman Apprentice
So first off, yes I used the search function before posting. And while this isn't an engine specific question drivetrain has a fair bit to do with it. My last boat was a 99 Four Winns horizon that I loved because it fit exactly what I wanted at the time. Nearly no wood in construction, TB injected VP engine, single prop SX drive. I've always owned I/O boats and in my experience $ to fun ratio had been outstanding especially because my previous boats have needed some work which I've been able to do myself.
But since selling the FW last spring I've really gained an interest in these Yamaha 212x boats I'm seeing up for sale. First off while I enjoy wakeboarding nothing of this decision has wakeboarding in mind. The interior layout of the 212, 210 and 230's from Yamaha are my top driving factor. Second is im genuinely interested in owning a twin engine boat and the maneuverability and performance characteristics involved.
So first off am I going to be disappointed in the performance differences between a 225-300 HP I/O and a 320 HP dual config essentially R1 engines?
Secondly I've been fortunate and found/owned boats with reasonable quality interiors. Is the 212x going to remind me of a post-housing-crisis Tahoe?
3rd is the ride quality? If I had a complaint on the FW210 Horizon it's that the ride was rubbish in even light chop. I've also owned (and restored) a 96 Maxim 190 that had a pretty great ride in chop and an 83 CC scorpion that was excellent in rough water but astonishingly underpowered.
Basically interior layout is my first priority, avoiding another anemic power plant is my second and the ride quality is my third. 100% inland lake use.
Anyone experienced with the 212 and care to comment?
Also for whatever reason the AR, SX and Limited models are priced significantly higher in my area (north Texas/DFW). Hence the interest in the 212's. I have zero interest in the single engine 190's and the newer boats with the 1.8 marine engines are just too spendy in my opinion.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Think the fuel consumption and noise of the wee 4 bangers would get to me.
They seem to be fairly inefficient for the power they have. From the boat tests they seem to be lacking speed for the HP they have. If it?s the boats I?m thinking of I can?t help but think that these wee engines will be on the limit. All that HP from such a tiny engine.
They are great engines in the Jet skis they came from but time will tell how they stand up to pushing a boat about.
Appreciate their appeal though. The sky high RPMs required to keep them on the plane might get to me after a while.
Each to their own through and seems that these genre of engines are used in that type of boat these days. The new Scarabs with the Seadoo 1.5l supercharged crazy hp engines an all. A detriment to the Scarab name I feel though. Haha.
Good luck whatever you decide. Main thing is to have fun....and I?m sure these are. Look great at least and a great looking functional lay out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the yamaha jet boats suck fuel like a sailor sucks rum. they dont have the manors around a dock that you get with an I/O and compared to a prop, not that efficient.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've got a Yamaha waverunner that is supercharged. It is the most fun I think you can legally have. My thing is though the newest iteration (not the older models you are looking at) have fixed the low speed steering issues with their active keel design), they still drink gas. I can't adequately explain how much gas we use every day in our single engine pwc. I can't imagine having twins in a much, much heavier boat.
It's not a money thing for us but a constantly filling it up scenario. Most of the newer i/o's have adopted the social swim platform and more lounge friendly styling of those early jet boats in as much as is possible when dealing with larger engines versus the thin, low profile jet engines. In other words, plenty of i/os can be had with these new generation layouts.
I'm a huge fan of jets, but not if I only had one boat. I'd have one maybe as a 3rd or 4th in the fleet on a lift on my shore. It would be after an io bowrider then a pontoon then a species boat then a twin engine jet boat. The Jets around me seem to be a little lower priced used. I live on a large lake in the summer and they just didn't catch on and instead everybody went the pontoon route or the surf boat direction. The good news is there are now a lot more choices than yamaha. Love the Yamaha reliability but not their below average styling in those mid 2000's. It's taken them until maybe this year to fix their poor styling.