Drain the gas out of the tank? Worry about drying out the seals?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2000 sea ray sun deck 210. Mercruiser i/o. I had engine work done in June 2016 and I filled it up with gas. When I winterized the boat in the fall, I also stabilized the gas. I did not un-winterize the boat this year, too busy to use the boat. Not wanting to waste the gas and risk it ruining the engine, I?ve been draining it out and using it in my daily driver. Question is, do I need to put fresh gas into the tank for the winter? I?m not going to run the engine again before winter. I read I had to worry about the seals drying out- I haven?t emptied the tank completely yet. Thanks guys.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would not worry about the seals. The only one is at the fuel sender. It's usually a cork, or rubber gasket. I'd worry more about the fuel left in the lines, if it's ethanol.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
General advice is to either be empty or full, to stop condensation.
Personally I now run down my tank as low as I dare and add a good dose of 2 stroke on the last run out.
I have also left boats with random given levels and never had a problem come the spring.
Doesn?t matter too much with petrol. Probably more of an issue with diesel. More chance of their being water in that in the first place !

icwingman

Seaman
Make sure you use a good fuel stabilizer get it mixed up good and run the engine till it gets warm you want that gas in your lines use 100 percent leaded gas

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Make sure you use a good fuel stabilizer get it mixed up good and run the engine till it gets warm you want that gas in your lines use 100 percent leaded gas

Where can you find leaded gas?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer

I won't play dumb because I'm pretty sure you meant straight gas. Ethanol fuel keeps just a well as straight gas. Actually because it has the ability to absorb moisture, I'd say better. I pulled the tank out of my CVX18 last January because I'm gutting and rebuilding it. There was 2-3 gallons of 5 year old ethanol blended fuel still in it. Looked good, smelled good, so I dumped it into my Sierra HD and burned it up!.......LOL

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The same question every year, and not just for boats. And a good question if you don't know the 1 of several answers you will get from many of the several individuals that know of what they speak. When I'm bored and we are hanging around our not so little now Marine shop and I want to start a good argument I ask the same question.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The same question every year, and not just for boats. And a good question if you don't know the 1 of several answers you will get from many of the several individuals that know of what they speak. When I'm bored and we are hanging around our not so little now Marine shop and I want to start a good argument I ask the same question.

What?s the one answer ? Dare I ask ?