Stolen Boat

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Update:

The boat was pulled into a soybean field in southern Illinois and left. It’?s just across the Ohio River from Kentucky. Here’?s how I think it happened. The Kentucky State Police used a photo of the boat I sent them to prepare a press release about the boat theft. At least one TV station ran it. The KSP also put it on Facebook and that was shared 110 times by people all over western Kentucky. I think the thieves were local (and not out-of-state as I first suspected) and they thought they better get rid of the hot boat. For that part of the world, it’s a pretty unique boat and not easily hidden. Why they picked southern Illinois to dump it is beyond me. Because they crossed state lines with stolen property, the Feds could potentially get involved.

The Pulaski County Sheriff had a wrecker service tow the boat and store it. Thankfully they put it inside because the thieves didn’t use the bow and cockpit covers stored on the boat. The cost for the five-mile tow and and four days storage was $450. The Kentucky state registration numbers and 2017 sticker were removed by the thieves. Unlike many boats, the hull ID on this boat isn't stamped into the fiberglass on the stern as it’s done on many boats. On this boat it is stamped on a placard that is riveted on the stern of the boat. The thieves removed it.

The boat was winterized and unbelievably, the thieves de-winterized it and took it out on the water. They took a bunch of people because filler cushions to provide more seating were still in place when the boat was abandoned. And there was at least one woman onboard. How do I know this? A small bottle of hand sanitizer in a rubber holder with a hanging loop was removed from the head and hung on a fixture by the left-side bucket seat. No man would do that. While they were out, they ran the hull over something hard and took an 8’ row of dime-size chunks out of the gelcoat to raw fiberglass. When they trailered it after their run on the water, they ran the winch strap incorrectly and didn’t properly place the bow on the stops. I’m thankful for that because the insurance company challenged me when I told them the thieves had taken it for a joy ride. The jacked up way it was put on the trailer proves it. Of course the thieves didn’t re-winterize and I’ve got to make sure there’s no freeze damage to the engine or drive before getting estimates to fix the hull.

Before it was abandoned, the thieves took two sets of water skis, tow ropes, a 6’ diameter tube and tow rope, a dozen good quality neoprene life jackets used for water sports, my spare anchor, 10’ of chain, and 100’ of line. And most unbelievably, they took the dang porta-pottie and toilet paper! But the idiots left the almost new Kenwood marine stereo with CD player! By removing four phillips screws and taking apart a couple connectors, it could have been theirs!

They also either cut or disconnected the trailer brake lines. I haven’t figured out which because of time and access. The master cylinder is dry. Most likely they didn’t have a way to hook up to the trailer wiring and when they tried to back the trailer, the surge disc brake system activated. For those who aren’t familiar, disc surge brakes have a solenoid that cuts out pressure to the brakes when the tow vehicle is put in reverse. There has to be an electrical connection to the tow vehicle to make that happen.

The thieves were slobs. There’s mud all over the inside of the boat and wherever they had the boat, there were Oak trees. The boat is full of acorn caps, twigs, and dried Oak leaves.

The worst part of this whole ordeal is that the farm from which it was stolen is my wife’s home place. We go there fairly often and she goes down during holidays while I’m working. Now she’s afraid to go there by herself. A club and horse whip is too good for these punks.

oldrem

Commander
If you ever find the sob's, bring them up here. We'll make sure they get a boat ride on Lake Michigan. About 10 miles out should do it.