1960 Arkansas Traveler Info Needed

jfmining

Cadet
[FONT=&quot]Hello, I am new to the forum and need some information on a boat that I just purchased. Not sure where or how to post so will start here. Was unable to post pictures for some reason so need help doing so. My boat title says it is a 1960 Arkansas Traveler 15' boat. The emblem on the dash say it is a Frolic model. Research from the brochures for 1961 say the Frolic model is new in 1961. Any Ideas as the what I have here? How many years was the Frolic model manufactured? I got the boat and trailer together and my interest was only in the trailer but my wife thinks the boat is "cute" and wants me to make it work. I am unable to attached pictures. Boat information plate says it is a CSP-151-G There is also an obvious problem with the front right bottom fiberglass have pictures that I can post. Any help would be appreciated.[/FONT]

Skipper Sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
jfmining Welcome to the forum. After you make about 3 posts you will be able to post photos. So browse around check it out and I am sure you will find some answers to your questions. So do you plan on doing some restoration on your new to you Boat?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, JF.

Moved your question into this section for a better shot at getting the answers you're looking for. When you start working on her and fixing the hull. start a new thread in the Restoration/Repair section.

About adding photos - You need more than three posts to add them. Click on the Forum Help in the sig below for help adding pics. Don't use Photobucket to host your pics - PB isn't free anymore to link pics stored there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

photos can start to be added after your 4th post.

size of about 400k works, so you will need to reduce the size

and links to facebook do not work either.

jfmining

Cadet
I am debating at this time on whether to repair this boat. It will depend on if I can get enough information to make an intelligent decision. I really like the classic look of the boat and will have to get an idea how much effort I am able to put in the restoration process. There are fiberglass issues that I need advise on and have not investigated yet the extent of the repair as it may be in a difficult place to get a long term repair. At this time I know that the throttle cable needs replacing, steering wheel is cracked, steering cables look in good shape, the surface of the paint/glaze is crazed and needing sanding and recoated, am not sure how extensive the damage is to the fiberglass.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After making your next post, on #4 you can add some pics so we can give our thoughts. It sounds like the hull damage may be bad, but you got the trailer. With pics we may help to make her cuter for the Admiral.

jfmining

Cadet
Thanks for the opportunity to continue posting. Am compressing the pictures for posting now so the pictures will be posted soon. Think it will be one more post and pictures will be included. Glad this forum is here to help those like me get valuable information that is hard to find elsewhere.

jfmining

Cadet
Does anyone know of source of parts and period motor for the 1961 15' Arkansas Trravele? I will be investigating through iboats on repairing the fiberglass and obtaining parts to replace the throttle cable and repair the fiberglass and gel coat.

jfmining

Cadet
No Title

First attempt to download pictures of Arkansas Traveler Frolic that I need to figure out the age and if it is repairable.

Attachments

• photo281317.jpg
    photo281317.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281318.jpg
    photo281318.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281319.jpg
    photo281319.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281320.jpg
    photo281320.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 11
  • photo281321.jpg
    photo281321.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281322.jpg
    photo281322.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 11
  • photo281323.jpg
    photo281323.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 12
  • photo281324.jpg
    photo281324.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 13

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Is it repairable....yes
However it will take elbow grease and weekends working on it. You have a crack in the keel. Most likely the transom and stringers need attention.

Nearly any outboard of appropriate shaft length for the transom and hull rating would work

jfmining

Cadet
No Title

Thanks Scott for replying again. I will make a more thorough inspection of the inside and outside of the hull. There is one area on the outside of the keel that the fiberglass is exposed and one layer of fiberglass looks like it is delaminating. Picture attached. Am concerned with the rust staining on the crack in the keel and wonder if there is more significant damage hidden. Will clean out the boat to remove the debris and wash it inside and outside to make a better diagnosis. I can not seem to find a serial number or year this boat was manufactured. Any suggestions. Thanks

Attachments

• photo281333.jpg
    photo281333.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thats more than delamination. that is a prior poorly done patch job coming apart.

as for year, what does your paperwork (registration or title) say it is? dont do a thing until it is registered/titled in your name. if it doesnt have paperwork, you have your work cut out for you.

jfmining

Cadet
I have a title and it is filed in my name so have no problem there except that the year listed on the title is 1960. I am not sure when the frolic model was first introduced and from looking at 1960 Arkansas Traveler boat brochures, the Frolic was not listed but was mentioned until 1961. I can not find a manufacturer date or serial number yet on the boat so would like to know what years the FROLIC model made.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Is it repairable....yes
However it will take elbow grease and weekends working on it. You have a crack in the keel. Most likely the transom and stringers need attention.

Nearly any outboard of appropriate shaft length for the transom and hull rating would work

No stringers on the Travlers of that era.