Your boats winter pictures?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For those of us wrapping up our boating season and projects, thought I'd post about our winter prep work.
It definitely takes time to do, but our boat has never been damaged nor gets dirty moldy or gets any water in it plus I save $300 om shrink wrap and waste.

Boat Cover 1.jpeg Boat Cover 2 .jpeg

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a guy with a farm west of the the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul - MN) that lets me store my SeaRay inside for $250 for the season. Can drop it off whenever I want and pick it up whenever I want. It sits on a dirt floor so it will be a little dusty when I get it in 2018, but dirt washes right off.

To each their own but none of my boats in the 27 years I've been storing them have ever sat outside during winter. In MN, you can usually find a pretty good deal on inside winter storage if your willing to call around and tow your boat out to a rural area.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
No Title

in my back yard all tucked
in for the winter

Attachments

• photo243815.JPG
    photo243815.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a buddy that has a large warehouse and does Marine repairs as a hobby. As a barter for detailing boats he gets in I park my boat in the back warehouse with a concrete floor. Good deal. No more shrinkwrap at $250.00 and outdoor storage.

gtochris, I would be wary wrapping a boat or car the way you have unless absolutely tight, tight. I had a pal that did that with his brand new Alfa Spider over the winter only to find much of the paint worn off from the tarp smacking it in the wind a few million times.

gtochris

gtochris, I would be wary wrapping a boat or car the way you have unless absolutely tight, tight. I had a pal that did that with his brand new Alfa Spider over the winter only to find much of the paint worn off from the tarp smacking it in the wind a few million times.

I have absolutely zero flap from the tarp, every gromet is tied down to the max, it doesn't budge.
Cars and clearcoat are different, I'd never tarp a car, they need to breath plus are sensitive. I have a custom car cover when I had a nice car that never damaged it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have absolutely zero flap from the tarp, every gromet is tied down to the max, it doesn't budge.
Cars and clearcoat are different, I'd never tarp a car, they need to breath plus are sensitive. I have a custom car cover when I had a nice car that never damaged it.

Tight is good, I have seen worn paint on both glass and tin boats from tarping. I don't see the difference between anything you tarp, boat, car or even BBQ's and patio furniture. What's the difference between tarping a boat or auto? Both need to have fresh air recirculated when stored and they are painted. When I had mine shrink-wrapped vents were installed in the shrink wrap and many guys have dehumidifiers and or air movers in the boat interiors.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Winterized.....Mid-Atlantic Style - Feb. 20, 2016

No mice, no mold, no hassles :)

Attachments

• photo280976.jpg
    photo280976.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Rub it in why don't you?

MH Hawker, if I had that set up here that portable garage would be found somewhere near Dunkirk NY in spring.

gtochris

Tight is good, I have seen worn paint on both glass and tin boats from tarping. I don't see the difference between anything you tarp, boat, car or even BBQ's and patio furniture. What's the difference between tarping a boat or auto? Both need to have fresh air recirculated when stored and they are painted. When I had mine shrink-wrapped vents were installed in the shrink wrap and many guys have dehumidifiers and or air movers in the boat interiors.

Cars have a clear-coat, it's very sensitive and easily scratched. Some scratch super easy. Boats don't (generally). Air circulates through the boat naturally because the cover is tented and the tarp allows a bit of air movement where as a tarp over a car needs to breath because moisture unable to escape from dew/ snow can soak into the paint. Most car covers are very soft on the inside and designed to breath.

My one car cover I gave my father for his Cobra, after intense rains for several days, the car will be slightly damp, but with the sun beating on it will dry out properly as will the cover in short time.

I'm a detailer, I've seen the damage from people trying to protect something only to cause more damage.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Cars have a clear-coat, it's very sensitive and easily scratched.

I no longer detail professionally but just as a hobby now for some friends and relatives and a few have some high end cars, I enjoy it. The quote above is contrary to my experience. The clear coat is there to enhance the shine and protect the paint under it, it isn't sensitive as it is harder than most factory automotive paints and isn't easily scratched. I agree to disagree.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In the "boathouse" snug as a bug in a rug. Just pumped up the tires and greased the wheel bearings today. The gas tank is full and the battery in the basement. Come Spring she'll be back on the water with only 5 minutes needed to reinstall the battery. Boy I just love the new 4-stroke outboards. Got her winterized inside even though it was a rainy day.

P6050001web.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Nice striper!

My buddy and I went bass fishing on Jan 12, 2017 but didn't have any luck. This is him in my little Starcraft Kingfisher.
2.jpg

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Another 5 months of this crap

I just can't wait but we didn't get that much white crud in the last 2 winters. The Farmers Almanac says we will make up for it this winter. Plus most of the Pine cones were all high up in the Spruce trees this fall. A First Nations friend told us her Grand Ma used to say that and it has proven true in the past. You have never seen a displaced city boy stare up at trees like I did this fall. Where I grew up the only trees were on TV.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In the "boathouse" snug as a bug in a rug. Just pumped up the tires and greased the wheel bearings today. The gas tank is full and the battery in the basement. Come Spring she'll be back on the water with only 5 minutes needed to reinstall the battery. Boy I just love the new 4-stroke outboards. Got her winterized inside even though it was a rainy day.

I love those wall hangers you have there. What outboards are they? I have 2 old outboards I plan on sprucing up this winter, a 7.5 HP Merc with built in tank and a old 5 HP Johnson. PM me if this isn't the place, I don't want to hi jack here, again.

Johnny D

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Buddies in Florida laughed and stated winter coat for your boat huh. Then told me the oceans dropped to 80 degrees already:) its snowed twice here already and I see cars with snow on them every day. No cross country trip for the boat planned for this winter but Im hoping for a month off next summer.

Attachments

• 27F1256D-24CD-4BF5-ADDA-C119F05DF766.jpeg
    27F1256D-24CD-4BF5-ADDA-C119F05DF766.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No Title

Security cam pic. I can disappointingly watch the snow bury the boat as I dream of warmer days!

Attachments

• photo281019.jpg
    photo281019.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0