stronger oarlock

MattCat

Cadet
I would like some advice for STRONG oarlock. Round, 2 1/4 diameter, 1/2" shaft. I have now broken two bronze and one galvanized. Rowing a 15' Chesapeake Light Craft Chester Yawl with 7 1/2 foot Shaw & Tenney flat oars (not spoon)

The bronze ones have bent at top of shaft and then finally break. Yesterday a galvanized oarlock just snapped at the same place on the second pull from stand still.

And seriously, how much strain can this 68 y.o. 165 lb retiree put on an oar lock ? Sure, trying to perfect the Thames Waterman's Stroke, but still, snapping oarlocks ?

Certainly someone must make something that can withstand a few foot-pounds of pull.

TIA

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
You must be one strong old man. Seriously though, the brass and galvanized will be cast. They will break under your tremendous strength. Stainless cannot be cast, only machined. You will not break stainless.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Stainless is cast everyday. We use many stainless castings at work....and stainless is not as strong as steel.

Forged aluminum would be stronger than cast. I would find a fabricator to turn some out of aquamet 22

MattCat

Cadet
Thank you all. Bought some stainless at West Marine and also ordered some Perko bronze. At least with bronze I've experienced they will bend over time so with diligence I can replace and not be caught up the proverbial creek without a 'paddle'. (I do carry a spar oar and lock ready to switch out)

Scott Danforth: it may take some time to locate a fabricator - but I will keep it in mind. A fiend speaks of someone who might be up to the task.

ondarvr: thanks for those links. Didn't seem to offer what I am looking for - but definitely appeared to be strongly constructed.